OT Getting rid of a cat

I have a cat that is a stray. I have been feeding it for a couple of months. I would like to give it away, but have found no takers. Georgia will be experiencing freezing temperatures soon and I do not keep animals in the house. Anyone want one? I am in West Georgia. The local animal pound says they keep it for a week and then euthanize them.

I found a no-kill shelter about 45 min away, but it says on the site that they can't, by law, accept strays.

Metspitzer

Keep looking. There are probably folks there that will take a stray without killing it. We found one but took the wife a lot of work.

Reply to
Frank

After reading the info at the web site, it says ......... An animal is deemed in a person's possession if it is fed or sheltered for three consecutive days or more."

I have that covered. I have filled out the form and sent a picture to the site. Hopefully they can take the cat. I have 40 lbs of cat food I can donate and will probably give her a cash donation if she can take the cat.

Reply to
Metspitzer

I understand your wish to find it a home, but it's not going to get cold enough (all Winter!) in W. Georgia to even bother a healthy adult cat. Well, they do sometimes crawl up on a nice toasty engine block, but it's not the cold that'll get 'em.

Reply to
krw

Kijiji.com is a popular classified ad site, and they have a pets for sale or give-away section.

Getting the cat spayed/neutered and vaccinated would be much more appreciated by the shelter than handing over the cat with a bag of food and $50 donation.

Reply to
Home Guy

I didn't mention the scratches on my Mustang..........:) I am not too happy about that.

Reply to
Metspitzer

If the kitty can get in your garage or a suitable container to be sheltered from the wind, it should be okay.

After all, the kitty is wearing a fur coat...

Reply to
HeyBub

I did about the same thing. I took a egg box and covered it with a garbage bag. I put several old towels in. It is on the carport so the wind is shielded on 2 sides. I can't get the cat to use it.

Reply to
Metspitzer

Sell it on craigslist, $1 with the forty pounds of food thrown in. Plus a short explanation. I bet you'll find a taker.

It craigslist takes animals for sale, that is.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Sounds good. That's what my wife did with the stray we found. Wife loves cats but won't own another as she was so upset when the last one died.

Reply to
Frank

***DON'T DO THAT! SOME (**&^^%$&* WILL BUY THE CAT FOR THE FOOD THAT THEY RESELL AND KILL OR ABANDON THE CAT.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Possibly. Pre-qualify the prospective new owners as best you can. Here are some questions:

  • House, apartment, what? (Homeowner OK, renter no)
  • How long have you lived there?
  • Children? How many? Ages? (Toddlers (< 4) is a no)
  • Ever had a cat before? What happened to it?
  • Why do you want a cat?
  • Any other pets? Do they get along with each other?
  • Do you plan to get the cat de-clawed (a "yes" answer is a no sale)
  • Do you plan to get the cat neutered or spayed? (Yes is good)
  • An indoor cat will live upwards of twenty years. Can you handle a long-term commitment?
Reply to
HeyBub

On Sat, 05 Nov 2011 18:01:26 -0400, Metspitzer wrote Re OT Getting rid of a cat:

The cat will do fine outside if you continue to just feed it. Particularly if you make a small shelter for it.

I live in a area of TN with a climate similar to GA. We keep out cats outside all winter long without any problems (other than coyotes and foxes, but the dogs gandle them). The winter doesn't bother them at all as long as they have a small shelter. Been doing it that way for

25 years.
Reply to
Caesar Romano

te:

That's what I was thinking too. He at least could have a lot more time to find a home. If you can put up a cardboard box with a cat size opening and some towels etc inside and place it in a sheltered location outside, the cat should be fine during winter. If you want to get fancy, for the coldest times a heating pad set on low could be added, but it should not be necessary.

Reply to
trader4

I have been asking everyone I meet for two months if they want a cat. My only requirement is.......do you want a cat? So far no one has met my expectations.

Reply to
Metspitzer

It looks better than my first apartment. :)

Reply to
Metspitzer

If you would otherwise keep it then do so. Keeping it outside is no problem. Mine arent allowed in and they do fine.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

No, but I have some lesbian tendencies.

Reply to
Metspitzer

Being a farmer myself, I have taken in unwanted cats. They keep the rodents under control. They live in the hay shed in the winter and I provide some old blankets, rags, etc for them, and feed them. They have access to water too from the heated livestock tanks. Why not take the cat to a farm area and see if you can find a taker. Put up notices on bulletin boards in rural stores too.

There is also a thing called Freecycle on the web. It's for giving away anything you want to get rid of. Find one nearby and use it.

I'd take your cat if I was nearby, but I'm a long ways from you.

Reply to
jw

hell, just keep feeding it outside. All of our animals are 100% outdoor including 8 cats. (current count). They'll be fine. Especially in GA. We're in Kansas.

Reply to
Steve Barker