OT: Get out and vote

Page 1 of 2
The CIA World Factbook says the United States "has the largest and most technologically powerful economy in the world.." With a population of over 300 million people, the market value of all goods and services was almost $14 trillion dollars in 2007-equivalent to a staggering 2.5% of the entire world's total output. World Bank figures for 2007 show that the United States produced more goods and services than the next four most powerful economies: Japan, Germany, China and the United Kingdom put together.
We have the most powerful military on earth. The land is rich and fertile, with a temperate climate. We have the largest coal reserves in the entire world. The United States can be energy sufficient with proven oil reserves of over 20 billion barrels and over 5 trillion cubic meters of natural gas reserves.
We've got an abundance of natural resources: corn, wheat, soybeans and other grains. We produce beef, poultry and dairy products for ourselves and the world. We have great fishing fleets, huge forests, a wonderful national park system as well as nearly a quarter of a million miles of railroad tracks reaching across the nation.
When you vote, try to put hatred and contempt aside and select the best candidate for the position and not one that's long on promises and short on delivery. Lots of Americans have died since this country was founded to ensure that we all have the right to choose our own destiny through open elections. That's a right that far too many people in the world don't have, or have in appearances only. We're the best nation on earth and I urge everyone to take the time to participate in the election.
Americans have typically had a very poor turnout for midterms. It saddens me to think of all the people in the world who would love to be able to vote in open elections - without risking death - when so many of us can't even be bothered to find the time it takes to cast their precious ballots. There are people living in countries like Iran where speaking out against the government can make you disappear. Our right to dissent is more precious than most Americans realize, even it if makes us seem incredible contentious, the dialog is an important part of the democratic process.
The incredibly tight races we saw the last time around, like Franken v. Coleman, show that in some cases, it takes just a few votes to change the outcome of an election. Veteran's Day is just around the corner. Honor the hundreds of thousands of those veterans, from the Revolution's Minutemen to the modern day soldier in Iraq or Afpak, who have been killed or wounded to help make sure you still have the right to cast your ballot for the candidate of your choice. Show the world that we practice what we preach: a representative government elected by the people.
So please, no matter who you vote for, VOTE! Show your fellow countrymen and the whole world that we believe in democracy. Don't throw away your voice and dishonor the sacrifices made by so many that have come before us by blowing off this important civic duty. Whether you're a Dem, a Repub, a Greenie or someone who believes "the rent is too damn high" don't forget to speak up at the ballot box.
And for those of you in Chicago, living and dead, remember: Vote early and often. (-:
--
Bobby G.

vote. Vote for the Kennedy of your choice! But vote! Vaughn Meader.
Vote early, and vote often! (Snoopy for President!)
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Let's Go Mets!!!
Stormin Mormon wrote:

XXXX X XX X *** X XXXXX X ***** X XXX XX XXXX ******* XXX XXXX XX XX X ****** XXXXXXXXX XX XXX XX X **** X X** X X XX XX X X***X X //XXXX X XXXX X // X XX X // X XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX/ X XXX// X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X XX X X X X X XXX XX X XXX X X X X X X X X X XX X XXXX X X XXXXXXXX\ XX XX X XX XX X X X XX XX XXXX XXXXXX/ X XXXX XXX XX*** X X XXXXXXXXXXXXX * * X X *---* X X X *-* * XXX X X *- * XXX X *- *X XXX *- *X X XXX *- *X X XX *- *XX X X * *X* X X X * *X * X X X * * X** X XXXX X * * X** XX X X * ** X** X XX X * ** X* XXX X X * ** XX XXXX XXX * * * XXXX X X * * * X X X =======******* * * X X XXXXXXXX\ * * * /XXXXX XXXXXXXX\ ) =====********** * X ) \ ) ====* * X \ \ )XXXXX =========********** XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
On 11/2/2010 8:37 PM, Sjouke Burry wrote:

The ASCII picture may not quote well but it brings back memories of the mainframe computers at the university and the ASCII art we all clamored for coming out of those huge line printers back in 1966. 8-)
TDD

That was about the only fun part of working Christmas Eve or Day at the radio station in the late 60s and early 70s. Each of the various bureaus, as it got midnight in their area, would send through some very elaborate ASCII art greetings over the teletype. Wish now that I had saved some of that.

I went and voted. Seems hereabouts turnout is pretty good.
So, if YOU haven't voted yet, be sure to do so ASAP. The future depends on YOU!!
--
Best regards
Han
On 11/02/2010 07:49 AM, Robert Green wrote:

If everybody voted only Democrats would ever win.
--
LSmFT

I'm trying to think but nothing happens............
On 11/2/2010 11:54 AM, LSMFT wrote:

are conservative. It is those remaining 40% who can make it swing either way.

It gets worse, post-election. Can you imagine John Boehner as President?
Unlike you, I hope (not being a praying person) that Obama DOES get a second term, so he might have a chance to appoint a decent Justice to the Supreme Court. That would finally tip the balance from the reactionary, politicized bloc that is now handing down the corporate- loving decisions.
HB
On 11/4/2010 10:08 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

Oh my God! HB, you actually want more Affirmative Action Justices? I want the best and the brightest no matter what their ancestry and some very outstanding people from diverse backgrounds were rejected by the Commiecrats when presented for consideration by a Republican administration. Democrats abhor constitutionalists who will judge with their brains instead of their emotions.
TDD

We HAVE "affirmative action justices"! Only their affirmative action is in favor of our real rulers, not the people. You can go to the Supremes' Web site and check out a litany of horrors. Here are just a few: Promiscuous corporate vote-buying (Citizens United), Discriminating against honest employees Ledbetter), misuse of Eminent Domain (Kelo v New London), trashing the 5th Amendment (Miranda warning) Patane, and on and on.
Posters who throw around terms like "Commicrats" cannot be taken seriously, especially when their vast ignorance about the Court is on embarrasing display.
HB
On 11/5/2010 2:32 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

What on earth do you think Sonia Sotomayor is? The top of her class? GEEZ! I don't agree with a lot of the court's decisions but it can get a lot worse if a gaggle dumb asses are appointed. Many of the rulings can be fixed through legislation if we can get more constitutionalists in power and more of those who follow the Constitution appointed to the courts. Perhaps more anti military lesbian justices are needed. GAWD!
TDD

in Congress for 40 years, GOP for 14 and it looks like a better than even bet the Dems might lose it back in 10. I wonder if it might get to eventually be election cycle to election cycle swings before too much longer.

Never said that money was equal to speech. Actually it was the other way around. You needed money to have speech in many cases. I would say that the last 3-4 election cycles have more than confirmed that statement.

law framework.
Robert Green wrote:

Many years ago, when I was active in political campaigns, we were taught to vote absentee. There were two reasons for this:
1. You'd be completely free on election day to do campaign stuff, and 2. If, God forbid, you got hit by a truck, your vote would still count.

If they count the absentee ballots at all:
http://www.examiner.com/elections-2010-in-st-louis/illinois-military-absentee-ballots-may-not-be-counted
Servicemen fighting for the US often have a very hard time voting.
In addition to the two good points you made, it's also harder for an absentee ballot to switch its bits on a memory card like votes for both sides seem to have done in various elections.
I make a photocopy of my ballot in case I ever need to convince someone "I voted for you." I'm a registered Republican, and sometimes that makes it hard to get services in a mostly Democratic state. The beauty is that you can scan the blank ballot, and vote for whomever you need to, at least to impress them. My local board caught a small discrepancy on my application and corrected it, so I know they are doing their business and reviewing applications for absentee ballots.
-- Bobby G.
On Tue, 2 Nov 2010 07:49:36 -0400, "Robert Green"

"Three American astronauts flying on the International Space Station may be far from home, but they're not left out of today's Election Day fervor. They still get to vote from space." *
[...]
"To help space station crewmembers stay involved with their local politics, NASA has made arrangements with county officials that allow astronauts to vote from space. The ballots are prepared by county officials and beamed up from Mission Control."
http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/11/02/voting-space-american-astronauts-cast-ballots /
It ticks me off that local officials cannot get ballots out for our military warriors. Seems that every election there are problems...

We a society the perpetuates a caste system. Based on income.
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
http://www.informationisbeautiful.net/play/snake-oil-supplements /
Bill who putters wrote:

Ah, but one is not locked-in to a particular caste. One can move up - or down.
Consider Michael Jackson. Where else but American could a poor black boy grow up to be a rich white man and marry Elvis Presley's daughter?
Is this a great country or what?