OT-Generator Transfer Switch - I wonder if their bosses know

Wife and I have been doing some comparison shopping for a Reliance Generator Transfer Switch recently. We have pretty much settled on the unit; and Amazon looks like the source.

Bit, in three stores including Home Depot, Lowes and a chain retail store, which DID HAVE the same or similar transfer switches; sales clerks have steered us away from the "overly expensive" transfer switch. Instead they have promoted the sale of dryer plugs, or direct wired plugs, wire and a circuit breaker that backfeeds the house system.

Illegal, dangerous and a considerably smaller sale than the $250 transfer switch they have on the shelf.

Go Figure! This is the stuff that attorneys dream of.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

While there ARE knowledgeable and experienced associates at the Borg (look for the ones with white hair), the younger ones (IMHO) are often the ones that know just enough to be dangerous, and got eliminated from the tradesman gene pool for good reasons, assuming they ever actually used tools for a living. There is one 'old coot' fellow in the plumbing department at the local Lowes that has given me excellent advice on several occasions, but there is usually a line waiting to talk to him.

Reply to
aemeijers

When I was looking a couple years ago, I found one I liked at the right price at A.P. electric. The one I got has gone up $50, so maybe they aren't such a good deal anymore-

$220 for 30216V - Gen-Tran 30 Amp 120/240V 6 circuit 7500 watt vintage prewired manual transfer switch w/ L1430 inlet

-snip-

Indeed- Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Yep - we have seen that one. It appears to be a near duplicate of the Reliance switch we have been looking at. They have a kit that includes the power inlet box with receptacle, and a 10' cord for $248. The box and receptacle alone seems to sell for around $50. We ordered a kit from Amazon yesterday evening. Based on resemblance, I'm guessing someone else builds them. It gets pretty good reviews on quality and ease of installation.

That's what I need - Idiot Proof.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

Yep - we have seen that one. It appears to be a near duplicate of the Reliance switch we have been looking at. They have a kit that includes the power inlet box with receptacle, and a 10' cord for $248. The box and receptacle alone seems to sell for around $50. We ordered a kit from Amazon yesterday evening. Based on resemblance, I'm guessing someone else builds them. It gets pretty good reviews on quality and ease of installation.

That's what I need - Idiot Proof.

*I have a regular customer who calls on average every two years to have me replace one of those plastic manual transfer switches in that box. They don't seem to hold up well for continuous loads as it is mostly the one for the refrigerator that I replace.

I usually recommend an interlock kit instead:

still need the flanged inlet receptacle and cord, but there is less wiring because you don't need to rewire each circuit and you have the advantage of feeding the entire electrical panel instead of a few predetermined circuits.

Reply to
John Grabowski

That's the way mine gets hooked up. Turn the main off, back feed the system. When the yard light comes on, the power is on.

Reply to
Steve Barker