OT Gas pump skimmers

Page 5 of 5
On 09/14/2016 07:36 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Uhhh. From the teller at the credit union. I go once a week to deposit business checks etc.. If you can walk up to the instant teller at the bank, you can walk into the bank too. What am I missing here?
Using cash also makes think about and budget for what you buy. No surprises at the end of the month.
On Wednesday, September 14, 2016 at 10:52:29 PM UTC-4, T wrote:

That's what I though you'd say (the walking into a bank part)
I'm still trying to figure out how going to a bank for cash and then going into the store at the gas station is more "convenient" than using a card at the pump.
Granted, I don't receive many checks, but when I do get one, I deposit it by taking a picture of it and using the app my bank provides.

I don't know what you're missing, but I'm missing the "walking" part. If I need cash I *drive*up to the ATM.

I'm not surprised because I keep track of my spending on my phone, my iPad, my computer, the ATM, etc. My bank balances are all instantly available.
On 09/14/2016 08:45 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

It is not. But there is more to it than that

Outstanding checks do not show. And if you use on line banking (I recommend against it), you are risking a really nasty identity theft. The banks won't secure their on line services enough, as it annoys the customer too much.
On Thursday, September 15, 2016 at 12:01:30 AM UTC-4, T wrote:

OK, then the conversation has shifted somewhat. I had originally responded to "mako" who said: "that's why I prefer the convenience of cash". I thought you were agreeing with him. If it's not about "convenience" then you and I are on the same page now.

I rarely write checks, *maybe* 4 - 6 a year, if that many. When I do, it's for big things like taxes, so knowing whether they've been cashed or not is pretty simple.

You are not wrong, but I'll take my chances.
On 09/14/2016 11:55 PM, Frank wrote:

Gas station lines are the worst. Suzie Slo-pay is always in front of me, slowly digging in her purse for the exact change.
On 09/15/2016 01:43 AM, Danny Jones wrote:

Try Maverik's. They move the line pretty fast and open up several registers if needed. Plus they hire folks that give a damn about their customers.
Sep 2016 23:55:58 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

Is your card RFID friendly? If so, you don't actually have to give it to anyone. I could walk within 30 ft of you and snag it without ever seeing the physical card. If you don't already have RFID protective wallet, I'd recommend acquiring one. Or, if you really like the non RFID wallet you have, acquire the slips that go between your cards. Some do block the radio signals and would stop me (and others) from getting it by walking near you with the right hardware on us.
The training at one job was very thorough. They taught us how the 'bad guys' work so we could assist in preventing it. The side effect, if someone wanted to abuse the knowledge, the gameplan was provided to them.

Which isn't a very wise decision on your part. Not only could a temp hold be placed on your card (if it's a debit card), your card can also be skimmed right there. A clone could be made with the information collected on the magnetic strip as a result. Btw, walmart gift cards are useful for dumping cloned card data onto. I kid you not.
There is one piece of information that isn't present on the magnetic strip that will let your bank or others who know how it works know it's a cloned card and not the original. The expiration date. [g] The cloned card won't have the correct expiration date, but, contrary to what you might think, you don't need that to be correct to use the cloned card for purchases.
The chip card system can only protect you if it's used in that mode. It still has a magnetic strip for supporting older systems, as well as the typical information on the plastic itself.

Passports are often RFID friendly. I keep mine in a protective holder and only remove it when I need to. It could still be skimmed at those times, but I'm doing what I can to protect my data.
writes:

You're aware of it and are doing what you can to protect yourself. You have my respect for taking the initiative.
On 9/14/16 2:56 PM, T wrote:

At 67, I don't ever recall paying for gas with anything but cash.
No intention of changing that now.
I still pay cash for groceries, as well. Only used a card a couple of times (as I don't carry much cash, either!)
On 09/14/2016 08:31 PM, John Albert wrote:

Using cash makes you think about what you buy and budget for it. No surprises at the end of the month.
On 9/14/2016 10:35 PM, T wrote:

daily e-mail showing the running balance. No debit card. A couple of clicks and I can see what's been charged to the card. Yes, I pay it off every month. Gasoline? I get the 100% gasoline since I don't drive much anymore and a tank in the pickup or car is apt to last 6 months and the lawnmower likes it. Pumping gas... that was one my first jobs, for two bucks a customer expected the windshield cleaned and maybe the oil checked and the air in the tires. Gas was around 30 cents a gallon back then.
T posted for all of us...

WE had a case of skimming here and what caught them is what T quoted.
--
Tekkie

On 09/15/2016 02:22 PM, Tekkie® wrote:

1+ for the good guys!

The majority of this is being done with small readers that are stuck onto the front of the reader built into the pump. So you can judge for yourself whether or not the pump has been altered. If in doubt, give a good yank on the card guide of the reader and see if it comes off and reveals the real cardguide and slot underneath.
If the crooks are actually picking the locks on the pumps, getting inside, and installing anything there, good luck with getting gas station employees to check the pumps. They're not going to know what's supposed to be there and what isn't, and they're not going to spend much time on it either. These are generally minimum-wage workers with a very high turnover, and the managers aren't any better.
In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to find that gas station and C-store workers are involved with the skimming in some cases.
This skimming is being done on ATMs too from what I've been told.
I think it may be harder for the crooks once all retailers use chip readers instead of the magnetic stripe. The swiping action of a magnetic stripe reader means it's fairly easy to add on an additional set of sensors that pick up the data at the same time the card is being read by the legit sensors.
A chip reader requires that all the contacts line up so they can be read. I'm not sure you could do that and read the chip on-the-fly as the card is inserted and removed from the legit reader.
"KenK" wrote
| I would think it would improve business for the stations - gas is gas - if | they advertised that they check the pumps for skimmers every day. I'd buy | there. No such ads though. Seeing any in your area? |
I don't think it's that simple. The skimmers can be very convincing. (After all, people using them are not suspicious.) Station attendants have no qualifications to assess whether the system is somehow being hacked.
If you want to use credit/debit that's a risk you take. It's also an extra expense. Fortunately, the credit-lobby laws forcing stations to offer the same price for cash or credit seem to be getting phased out. I've seen some stations with two prices. I'd like to see the credit card addicts pay for their own stupidity, rather than my having to subsidize it.
It's not just gas stations. There have been cases of dept stores, supermarkets and the like, too. There was one case -- I don't remember the company offhand -- where fake technicians came into the store and "updated" card readers at the checkouts. There's no IT staff standing around in that scenario. Just clerks and managers who know nothing about the hardware.
There have been famous cases like Home Depot and Target.
It's all surely going to get a lot worse. We're computerizing aspects of life far more than we need to. How long will it be before your computerized frig is hacked and your account drained? Yet people will say, "There's no other option! What, I'm going to go to a store to buy food?!"
Extremely snipped
I use credit cards for everything. I have been hacked twice-both under Discover card-years ago.
I can look up all transactions daily if I wish. I don't have to worry about having much cash on me. In fact my wife was pick pocketed and they only stole the cash and left the cards in the wallet on the ground. I like the buyers security as in theft reimbursement and charge back in cast of defective items that a seller refuses to abide by my terms.
Gotta go, was going to post more.
--
Tekkie

Uncle Monster posted for all of us...

otified by the corporate office people they spoke to everyday. There were e ven custom made fasteners with a custom 1/4" drive security bit made just f or hardware in their stores. The manager kept the driver bit in the store s afe.

" If a government can control your money, it controls you. Look for the use of cash and barter to be made serious crimes. This nonsense about governme nt provided health care meaning everyone will be taken care of is the same kind of MBD, Male Bovine Droppings. "Do as you're told or we turn off your healthcare." The Commiecrat elite will never get their medical care in the same facility as the peasants. I'm no conspiracy nut but I've seen the patt ern forming and the manipulation of the citizenry going on for decades. It' s media manipulation and it's aimed at different groups over long periods o f time to change public opinion and behavior of society. Count the number o f ads for credit cards you see every day. Pay attention to the actors in th e ads to see what the makeup of the couples and families being portrayed appe ar to be. _?_?_/¯

Yeah, but Billy Devane is selling gold!
--
Tekkie