OT Gas pump skimmers

Page 4 of 5
Mon, 19 Sep 2016 04:09:42 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

Says the wannabe anonymous coward.. rofl.
How would I make him pay exactly? How is he supposed to 'cross me'?

It's RaiD. Retired, blackhat, though. Thanks!
On 9/19/2016 3:09 PM, Diesel wrote:
"I gave fair warning what would happen. Some people apparently didn't get the hint. Maybe they are reconsidering it now. Misery loves company. Had nothing to do with self gratification. *Purely revenge motivated*. Pure hatred for others, that is why I wrote it. *Simply because I hate people*, simply because they deserve the shit I dump on them, they earned it."
Regards, Raid [SLAM]
19 Sep 2016 20:50:21 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

Sure. Now that I've re-read it. It was awhile ago (late 90s) when that was written. Why not disclose the date/time stamp and the associated thread you pulled it from, you know, for proper context? Incidently, in a few months, it'll be 2017.
Do you by chance have anything more recent? Maybe, within this decade?
19 Sep 2016 20:50:21 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

Yep. Correction on my part, it's from 2000. You also were careful to do some editing work on it. Why, I don't really know. Personally, for public shaming purposes, it would have been more 'harmful' had you posted it verbatim. You DO want people to believe I'm an evil villain, right?
It was originally discussing the last virus I wrote, too. So... nearly seventeen years later, still no malicious code of any kind written/released by me since Irok.
We're coming up on seventeen years since I wrote that virus, d00d. That's a long time. If you still think I'm the same person I was back then (not that you'd actually know either way. As you can't really depend on usenet posts and forced interviews for reliable data), I've got a nice section of oceanfront view property in Arizona I'd like to sell you.
If you think everything I wrote back then was all true and none of it was intended as a diversion mixxed with misinformation to keep would be 'stalkers' (and by stalkers, I mean feds, not lamers like you) off my trail, I've got the deed to the Golden Gate bridge and it's for sale too. If you buy both, I'll cut you a really good deal.
I suspect you believe everything the National Enquirer has published too. You strike me as one of those types of people.
On 9/19/2016 7:36 PM, Diesel wrote:
"I gave fair warning what would happen. Some people apparently didn't get the hint. Maybe they are reconsidering it now. Misery loves company. Had nothing to do with self gratification. *Purely revenge motivated*. Pure hatred for others, that is why I wrote it. *Simply because I hate people*, simply because they deserve the shit I dump on them, they earned it."
Regards, Raid [SLAM]
Tue, 20 Sep 2016 01:19:34 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

I realize you might be a little on the slow side, so I'll repeat a section of the reply I initially wrote you, that you snipped and completely avoided. If you're going to post bullshit about someone, atleast have a large enough package to do so using your normal handle/nick. I pose no threat to you or anyone else. I'm 'retired' blackhat, and, hacking in real life doesn't work the same way it does in the movies. ROFL!
We're coming up on seventeen years since I wrote that virus, d00d. That's a long time. If you still think I'm the same person I was back then (not that you'd actually know either way. As you can't really depend on usenet posts and forced interviews for reliable data), I've got a nice section of oceanfront view property in Arizona I'd like to sell you.
If you think everything I wrote back then was all true and none of it was intended as a diversion mixxed with misinformation to keep would be 'stalkers' (and by stalkers, I mean feds, not lamers like you) off my trail, I've got the deed to the Golden Gate bridge and it's for sale too. If you buy both, I'll cut you a really good deal.
Feel free to lemme know which part of the post wasn't/isn't clear for you and I'll try to dumb it down further. Ok?
| so all this is more convenient to you compared to carrying a few pieces of green paper? | | I try to use cash for everyday purchases. | | I guess that we we have choices.... |
The trouble is that the choices of people who've fallen for the debit card scam are costing the rest of us. I was in the supermarket today, waiting to pay, and the clerk was busy. She finally turned around and said, "Oh! I thought you were all set. We hardly ever get cash." She was waiting for my debit card process to show up on her screen, not even looking to see if I was using a debit card.
Last I heard, I think the debit card fee was 65 cents per transaction. I'm not sure if that's true. It'd be interesting to know the exact amount. In any case, people are typically buying smaller purchases with them. That's a lot of wasted money. A multi-billion dollar industry that survives by convincing people that the common medium of transaction, cash, needs to be wrapped in a second medium of transaction in order to work properly. Maybe I'll start a "card for all your cards" business. There's probably a bundle to be made. :)
On 9/16/2016 6:46 PM, Mayayana wrote:

I don't see it as wasted. Notice the big building the bank headquarters is in? We have to pay for that. How can they give the management big bonuses and bigger salaries if we don't do our part?
They are showing their gratitude by giving us 0.01% interest too. They even let you use their pens.
On 9/16/2016 7:54 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

and popcorn. Did not mention that she also gets their ballpoint pens.
On 9/15/2016 2:38 PM, T wrote:

My debit card is a Master Card issue and they are very explicit that it has the same protection as their credit cards. By law they do not have to but if they want it used they have to meet the competition.
On 09/15/2016 06:53 AM, Mayayana wrote:

I am admiring your wording. You make a good point.

Because you have to go into a "convenience" store and wait in line for people buying lotto tickets.

skim me when I have him a 20 for an 8.50 fill up. He was going to give me change for a 10 but I saw him switch. That was when you could get a fill up for that little.
On 9/14/2016 11:37 AM, KenK wrote:

The police in a nearby city have begun a program to deal with this. They're getting the local gas stations on board. It's called SkimStop. http://www.cityofeagan.com/police/crime-prevention-safety/skimstop
SkimStop - a program created by the Eagan Police Department, is a partnership between local law enforcement and a business to safeguard your account information when you use your credit card at a gas pump. A business that participates in SkimStop agrees to check their equipment daily and place security tape on all the credit card terminals to prevent skimming devices from being used. Businesses are held accountable with daily logs that can be checked by law enforcement. SkimStop greatly decreases the possibility of the use of skimming devices, but consumers should always monitor their credit and debit cards for unauthorized activity as even the best efforts are open to error.
In order to prevent these skimming devices from being temporarily installed inside pumps, stickers are placed on the outside. If a thief tries to remove the sticker, text appears on the tape with the words "open" and "void."
On 09/14/2016 09:37 AM, KenK wrote:

I do PCI (Payment Card Industry), a.k.a. credit card security consulting. It is worse than you think. This is what they are suppose to do
1) the pump is "suppose" to have an alarm that goes off in the office if the pump's door is opened
2) the employees are suppose to visually check the pump inside and out of the door for tampering at least once a day.
It is anyone's guess if they do or don't. (Ha ha ha ha, what a stupid question I just asked.)
Here is an article that shows the skimmers and how they are used: https://krebsonsecurity.com/all-about-skimmers/
Note that some of these devices are internal and some are external. And, they are used on ATM machines too, not just gas pumps.
Since starting PCI consulting, I use cash everywhere I can. I only have one customer that actually takes PCI seriously. The rest's grandchildren will need lawyers when they get breached and the anal probe finds they pencil whipped the questionnaires.
And, yes, this is a law enforcement issue. The cops need to get off the asses and stop with the speed traps and start going after these ass holes with reckless abandon, then this will stop. As it stand, even when they are caught, virtually nothing happens to them. Maybe when some sleazy politician figures out a way to make more money off these ass holes then they do off of speeding tickets.
My professional advice. Just use cash.
-T
On 9/14/2016 2:56 PM, T wrote:

Sometimes it is wise to follow the advice of a professional.
On 9/14/2016 3:44 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

It is scary to read his post. I've never had any problem but am careful. I never give my card to anyone to carry away like in a restaurant, use only one card and it has the chip.
At the gas station it takes longer to pay inside and wait for all the lottery and sandwich customers so I pay at the pump.
On 9/14/2016 7:55 PM, Frank wrote:

I never understood pay at the pump. Sure, it is easy and fast. There is a station I use when I use the company CC and in over a decasde I;ve never been inside. If i was forced to go in and pay, perhaps I'd buy a soda or coffee adding to their income. they let me come and go. OK by me.
On 09/14/2016 06:07 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

The extra walk is good for me. My job is mostly sitting on my ass. Plus, I get to know some of the folks at the station and become friends.
I don't think using a credit card is worth all the ramifications of an identity theft (usually, they just steel money).
On Wednesday, September 14, 2016 at 9:10:49 PM UTC-4, T wrote:

How do you get your cash?