OT Gas pump skimmers

Page 1 of 5
A recent article in the newspaper noted how often credit card skimmers (devices are very quickly put in the gas pump that copy credit card info and provide it to crooks) are being found in local gas pumps. Evidently the pumps are only checked when they need a fresh roll of receipt paper.
I would think it would improve business for the stations - gas is gas - if they advertised that they check the pumps for skimmers every day. I'd buy there. No such ads though. Seeing any in your area?
On Wednesday, September 14, 2016 at 12:37:32 PM UTC-4, KenK wrote:

that's why I prefer the convenience of cash

Cash might be illegal before to long, the way government is cracking down on people carrying cash.
Police used to arrest you for not carrying money, they claimed you were vagrant. Now they claim your using it for illegal activities.

Sad, but true.
Even more sadly, one hasta guess those laws are being partially driven by banks and credit institutions. Banks no longer like cash money and are doing everything they can to discourage its use.
Cash is too hard to handle. Armored cars, vaults, labor. Even credit cards --even the one's with the "chip"-- are already obsolete. Let's not even get into personal checks and paper statements! They want everyone online and paying by cell phone. No checks, no plastic, no labor, jest profit. 8|
nb
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in

You may just be right. Those credit card slots on the pumps are just so handy I hadn't thought about it. I'd prefer to use a check though - I carry very little cash. I'll have to see if my usual gas station has no objections. Probably not.
On 9/14/2016 1:34 PM, KenK wrote:

Many stores won't accept checks, nor would I. Too much fraud and bounced checks to chase.
I use cash for most anything under $100 as it leaves less information to be stolen from the store where I used plastic.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says...

As most credit card companies refund the money I still like the cards. If paying in cash you have to go inside and give them some money and pump the gas. If too much money , then another trip back inside. That can make for a trip over 100 feet each way or more at some stations. Hardly convenient for me.
I also get back 3 % on the card I use at the gas station. That is worth it. As most everything I buy is put on the card it really ammouts up over a years time. I pay the cards off every month on the computer by transfreing the money from my bank. Think of it, if you spend $ 20,000 a year and only get back 1 % that is still $ 200 per year and some cards are 3 to 5 % on some items.
I think I will take my chances with the cards. While not very likely if you carry cash you could loose it or get robbed. I found that when I exited my truck with certain paints on, my billfold would come out and lay on the ground. I had it hapen to me twice before I started checking on it every time I left the truck. Just lucky that I discovered it both times and no one had picked it up.
On 09/14/2016 12:45 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
[snip]

I don't link those "pay in advance" (assumption of guilt) things.
However it it's unavoidable, I don't fill the tank but pay a certain amount which will be less than that. For example, I may decide that $20 is enough but not too much (requiring another trip to get the change).
[snip]
--
102 days until the winter celebration (Sunday December 25, 2016 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).
On 09/14/2016 10:55 AM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

I find it annoying too. Some stations don't though. Look for them.
On 9/14/2016 1:55 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

I use a full service station that is cheaper than most self serve. I get good service because I always tip too.
On 09/14/2016 03:26 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I thought Goober wooda solt the fillin station an retired by now.
On 9/14/2016 4:20 PM, otis wrote:

residents are smart enough to pump their own gas. Many still have an attendant and the prices are no higher than DIY stations.
On 09/14/2016 01:38 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I have not seen a full service gas station out in Nevada in memory.
On 09/14/2016 12:45 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

Me too . I like the convenience of a credit card. but I have been skimmed several times. Never lost any money but I find it impossible to believe this is not preventable. I am 99.99% sure the employee at the gas station is in on it.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

If you just use the credit card you do not have to worry about the bank holding onto your money.
Inever did understand the use of a debit card or what good it is. It may be that the bank does not charge the store owners a couple of percent like they do the credit cards.
I never use a debit card, but buy most everything on a credit card. Mainly to get about an average of 2 % back on everything I buy.
On 9/15/2016 10:11 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

I never use one and hear they are more subject to fraud as you might not recover it as with a credit card.
I only use one credit card, Cabela's, and get 1% back in store purchases. Pay it off at the end of the month so it does not cost anything.
because I find walking a few feet and maybe waiting in line a few minutes twice a month to be more convenient compared to worrying about all this.
On Thursday, September 15, 2016 at 1:20:42 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I'll wager that either you don't drive near as much as I do or that you get much better gas mileage. ;-)
P.S. I don't worry about all this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-diB65scQU

I have several cards and use the one that gives the most back. Lowes card is 5 % on everything. Amazon card gives you $ 50 ( I think) just to get their card and several percent off at drug stores and some other places. I buy a lot off ebay, so have a Paypal card that gives more than 1% off ebay and gas. Some other cards will give you some money just to get their card and charge so much in the first month or two.
I have to look at a list in my wallet every time I shop to see which one gives the best 'rebate'. Then there are things like Walmart that I can scan the bar code from the cash register and if there are other stores that have the same item on sell for less they credit that to me.
I probably save over $ 500 per year by doing all that. To pay them off I get on the computer and do a transfer from my bank every month. That $ 500 is tax free, so more like getting 700 to 800 bucks back.
On 9/15/2016 2:49 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

(she does all the banking) and won't use her cards at the gas station. To me, it is a lot of extra work. She also has reward cards from several places and tells me to make sure she gets the credit when I buy there. I don't like carrying all this crap around and fortunately can just give my phone number to get credit.
Might mention that a few weeks ago she found a restaurant gift card for $25 that someone probably lost out of their overloaded wallet or purse. Reminds me of a Seinfeld episode where George could not close his wallet it was so full.