OT - Gas Prices. Now I have to carry cash.

Page 4 of 5
On 9/17/2012 9:43 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I personally think it's dumb not to have ready accessible cash, in case bank machines or computers go down. Purchases can still be made with cash.
I always keep cash hidden in my car and my house for such emergencies although outside of usenet I would never tell anybody this (less it get stolen)
I keep small bills in my house in case of power loss so people can't rip me off if I need to buy a case of water for my family.
I always use a credit card, even to buy a coffee, but having cash backup is smart thinking and so few people do it. Using a credit card to collect rewards is only smart if you don't pay interest of course.
A gas station offering discounts for cash sounds like really dumb idea these days but maybe I'm wrong. Gas stations are frequently robbed. It can be dangerous to those employees. Also it's dumb for the station owners because employees can steal cash easier and there is more internal loss. Cash has to be counted manually and handled manually. With electronic payments the math is done automatically.
Typical gas tank fillup is about $50 to $70 around here with many hitting $90 to $100 for the 7 passenger SUVs and large pick-up trucks and van.
I think it's safer and easier on the whole for a gas station to just pay the merchant fees for electronic forms of payment, unless they wanna cheat on their taxes....
Just all my .02 cents worth....

I wonder how true that is these days. The stores rely on computers, too. I think most stores wouldn't be able to sell you anything if the power or the network went down. A sole proprietor could, by switching to the cigar box cash register system, but how many of those are left?
On 9/18/2012 1:21 AM, Smitty Two wrote:

Storekeepers aren't clueless. A friends family owns a number of stores whose brand you would immediately recognize. A few weeks back the main organization did a software upgrade which broke all of the POS systems in the stores.
I saw this in action. They had boxes of hand written receipts under the counters ready to go. Anyone who had cash was able to buy stuff.

Good to know. I think I'll ask my usual stores whether they're so equipped.
harry wrote:

Yes harry, we've had "pay at the pump" for years here in US/Canada. Maybe 10+ years.
That's not the point.
The point is the credit-card processing charges that merchants are increasingly try to NOT pay - by enticing customers to pay with cash - or (I guess) debit now.

Yes, we have self-checkout here too - but I don't think that (many?) of them take cash. Just cards.
On Monday, September 17, 2012 4:15:55 PM UTC-4, Rodney King wrote:

I can state with full certainty that both BJ's and Home Depot take cash at their self checkout lanes.
I think Lowes does too but I'm not 100% sure.

Usually. I don't often use cash at such places but I did at HD today. The damned thing ate my Jackson and sat there thinking. They had to call a manager to the front (a 10min wait) to override the system. The stupid thing then gave me my change plus two $10 bills. There is a reason I don't like giving cash to a machine.

Yes.

What do you mean usually? The machine at HD certainly took your money. ;-)

They're often broken. Wallyworld is really bad for broken self-serve lines.
In the case of gas stations the cash discount may be more about getting you into the stations store where while your paying for gas you buy other stuff........
profit on gas is low, a couple cents a gallon, 3 cents tops.
made up for profit on pop, candy, food etc etc.....
if you ppay by card at the pump your less likely to buy other stuff

The gas station owner rarely owns the gas in the ground. He's told what to charge and, yes, he does make all his money on the overpriced crap inside.
I replaced the typical quoting character (>) with O's, in case DoorknobDad doesn't see them.
It's bad enough when you full-quote your responses.
But it's retarded when you double-space them.
Why do you double-space your full-quoted material?
DerbyDad03 wrote: O O On Monday, September 17, 2012 4:15:55 PM UTC-4, Rodney King wrote: O O harry wrote: O O O O O O O O O O It's just PITA, that's all. O O O O O O O O O O We have petrol/gas pumps in the UK with a slot to put your credit O O O O O card in. O O O O O O O O Yes harry, we've had "pay at the pump" for years here in US/Canada. O O O O Maybe 10+ years. O O O O O O O O That's not the point. O O O O O O
(...)

Sorry Mom.
I'll try to be more
careful
next
time.

I never cease to be amazed at what people will do to save 60 cents on a tank of gas when they'll often pay $8g for water, $16+ for coffee (guilty).
They sit and wait and block traffic to save 40 cents at a local Swifty when the Marathon station a half mile away is usually 3-5 cents less than that, and you can pull right up to an empty pump and pay no more for credit.
I got $!/ea. off 17g last night via the Kroger fuel program, paid nothing for credit, pulled right up to a pump, got out onto clean cement, cleaned the winders, lights and mirrors with the provided solution and squeegee (in good condition) and ample supply of paper towels, then took the legible receipt from the unit and did not have to "SEE ATTENDANT" and wait behind 40 nitwits buying lottery tickets or contemplating the pro/cons of a lighter in the shape of a skull. -----
- gpsman

I do but it's not the 60 cents. I reward businesses that keep costs down, with my business. It encourages more of the same.
On 9/17/2012 4:55 PM, gpsman wrote:

You bought 17 grams of gas. How far were you able to go? What country sells gas using metric mass units?

I don't believe this. I've seen gas prices in California vary by as much as $1.50/gallon, and while the more expensive has been in out of the way places, I doubt that the wholesale plus delivery costs vary that much
In fact when it comes to Arco, I see the price vary by as much as 5 cents/gallon and these are all within a couple of miles of each other and in no particular geographical pattern

Are you positive about that? I threw away the offer I got from them, because when I read the fine print, it said that you would only get that rebate at "gas only" stations - places that had no mini-mart attached. Which is to say, only the very highest-priced places. I'm not even sure where I'd look these days to find a gas station that didn't have a mini-mart.

I'm not SMS and I don't have any AMEX cards--- but I've never seen a restriction on any of my chase Visa's or the 2 Discover cards that I've played the %-back game with for years and years. [not as good as it was 5 years ago-- but still worth a couple hundred a year]
Jim

I'll bite. How does one differentiate?