OT - Gas Prices. Now I have to carry cash.

When it was the norm to pay after filling the tank, sure, get 'em in the store. However, drive-offs killed that. I don't think many would be happy waiting in line twice to pay (fillups still piss me off when the network is down).

Also note that the business that owns the pumps and the gas is usually different than the one that owns the slurpees. The EPA saw to that.

Reply to
krw

But that's what started the thread. To fill-up using cash - to get the discount - you often have to wait in line twice.

Wait in line...give 'em $75...pump $65...wait in line...get your $10 change.

In addition, some of the cheaper stations don't have pay at the pump even if they don't offer cash discounts.

Wait in line...hand them a card, "Fillling up on pump 3"...pump $65...wait in line..."Please enter your pin number"..."Thanks have a nice day"

For me, it oftens depends on a combination of 2 things:

1 - How much of a hurry I am In. 2- How much gas I need.

Last weekend I drove 700 miles round trip to my dad's. Since gas stops were for full tanks, I was willing to put up with the inconvenience of going inside to save as much as possible. If I'm in a hurry or I need to top off for some reason, I'll pay the higher cost for the speed and convenience of paying at the pump.

Note: My logic doesn't need to make sense to the rest of the world...it works for me.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Right, but my bet is that few actually pay cash (and stand in line twice).

I haven't seen a station without pay-at-the-pump here in many years. Sometimes the pump is broken, though.

As I said in another post in the thread, I've found that the places with cash discounts aren't the cheapest anyway. I avoid them at all costs.

Sure. I don't like guessing at how much cash I need to leave (with the possibly a third time in line) with the minimum wage moron at the counter. I'd rather owe it to them than have to beat it out of them. ;-)

Reply to
krw

:

They still exist. The cheapest gas available near my dad's house doesn't take cards at the pump, but they don't offer a cash discount either. Their price is alway .02 - .03 cheaper than anyone else around, even without a cash discount.

That's what the Gas Buddy app on my smart phone is for. I sort by price then see how far it is from where I am or am going and balance the 2 pieces of information. The thing is, many times the cheapest price listed by the app is the cash price but you don't know that until you get to the station. That's why I now need to carry cash if I want to get the discount.

Reply to
DerbyDad03
[nip]

[snip]

I wound pick an amount that's less than a whole fill-up and pay that. That would be enough gas.

I really don't like being penalized for OTHER PEOPLE'S crimes (that "pay in advance" *******).

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I'll bite. How does one differentiate?

Reply to
Smitty Two

I like to keep an eye on gas mileage. I know about how many miles I can go on a tank but that requires a full tank.

We're penalized for other's crimes every day. You have locks on your door, and a .357 in the nightstand, right?

Reply to
krw

Easy. If you get the rebate it was a gas station with a mini-mart, else it was a mini-mart that sells gas. ;-)

Reply to
krw

te:

..

well as long as you dont write a check ATM can not legally bounce your account:)

Bounce fees like 38 bucks on a 2 buck puchase overdrawn by a buck USED to be a major bank prfit center......

tjhat can no onger occur

Reply to
bob haller

You never write checks?

Cite.

Reply to
krw

Let?s say you buy something with your debit or ATM card but haven?t been keeping track of how much you have in your account. It turns out you don?t have enough money in there, which means the withdrawal will lead to an overdraft. According to the Federal Reserve Board Web site
there are usually two ways that banks deal with an overdraft:

?Standard overdraft practices. Your bank will cover your transaction for a flat fee of about $20-$35 each time you overdraw your account. For example, if you make a purchase with your debit card for $150 but only have $100 in your account, your account will be overdrawn by $50 and your bank will charge you a fee. If you then make an ATM withdrawal for $50, your account will be overdrawn by $100 and you will be charged another fee. In this example, if the fee your bank charges for its standard overdraft practices is $30, you will pay a total of $60 in fees on $100 in overdrafts.

?Overdraft protection plans. Your bank may offer a line of credit or a link to your savings account to cover transactions when you overdraw your account. Banks typically charge a fee each time you overdraw your account, but these overdraft protection plans may be less expensive than their standard overdraft practices.

So what?s different under the new rules? Basically, your bank has to give you the option to choose how the bank will deal with an overdraft from you. In the past, some banks automatically enrolled you in a standard overdraft program when you opened an account with them. Now, the bank has to ask your permission and you have to opt in. If you don?t opt in, beginning August 15th, 2010, your bank?s standard overdraft practices won?t kick in when you charge too much. Instead, the transaction will typically be declined when you don?t have enough in your account to cover it. You won?t be charged an overdraft fee, but you also won?t be able to complete the purchase or withdrawal, either.

If you have an existing account that was opened any time before July

1st, you are supposed to get a notice from your bank about their standard overdraft practices, asking if you want them to continue or not. If you open an account after July 1st, you will be asked if you want to opt in or out when you fill out the initial paperwork. Whichever way you decide, you can change your mind at any time.

Warning: If you write checks or set up automatic bill payment from your checking account, the new rules do not cover checks or automatic bill payments. Your bank can still automatically enroll you in their standard overdraft practices for those types of transactions. If you don?t want that to happen, contact your bank, but you may find that you don?t have the option to cancel.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Since 2010. Sorta:

HeyBub

I like my credit union as I have the overdraft that transfers money out of my other accounts without any charge. If those accounts default for any reason, I have a $ 5000 line of credit that will cover anything up to that ammount also. Still without any fees except the normal interist charge if that line of credit ever kicks in. Then it is just normal interist rates.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

OK.

That's been normal for at least forty years.

So it's not as simple as BobH stated.

Exactly. It'll make a mess of a checking account. Why would you have a checking account if you never wrote checks?

Reply to
krw

Banks have done that since the great flood, too. I agree, though. CUs are the place for people to keep money.

Sure, so do we, though we haven't overdrafted in at least thirty years.

Reply to
krw

Except it can.

Reply to
krw

math or worse drive an extra ten miles to save a few cents per gallon consuming far more in fuel costs to do it.

items at most gas stations and if you fill up, you have to go back in line for change. Even though retired, I value my time more than waiting in line.

Not only do I get the 1%+ back to me on the credit card, if I let the cash back build over $300 before redeeming it they give me an extra

25% bonus (up to $100). I know some people don't like using credit cards but to me the only way to go is to charge EVERYTING on the card and get the cash back reward.
Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Last I heard that was only on CREDIT Cards. Some banks have CHOSEN to implement the same $50 limit (or even $0 limit) on Debit cards (and credit cards too) but there is no federal law requiring it.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

-snip-

Cool! Who does that? They might have a new customer.

I'm with you. Unless the vendor is giving a bigger discount than the card is, It seems like a no-brainer to me.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Bank of America, the bank everyone loves to hate. In my experience they have been terrific.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher