OT - Gas Prices. Now I have to carry cash.

Page 1 of 5
I've been going for years without carrying too much cash, mostly relying on my debit card. $20 - $25 was enough for the occasional low cost purchase or to order subs at work, things like that.
Now, with gas prices being where they are, I'm noticing more and more stations offering three cents off for cash purchases. Now I find I have to carry close to $100 if I want to fill up and still have my $20 - $25 pocket cash.
It's just PITA, that's all.
On 9/17/2012 9:43 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Why? carry enough for a typical day. I kind of like cutting banks out of transactions too.
We have a number of recent cash only stations around here that offer even better discounts (typically $0.11-14/gal) than you describe.

I probably have about $900 in my wallet now (Hmm, a little over $1000 - it's still early in the week;). Our "bank" is 1000mi away so I use ATMs and only hit them once a week. I use a credit card for gas because I get a discount for credit.

There are a few like that here, too, but even their cash rate is about $.10 above others in the area. For obvious reasons, I rarely stop there.
On 9/17/2012 1:41 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Here in New Jersey, typically we pay about 9 cents extra per gallon for using a credit card. There's a BP station at the New Jersey side of the Goethals Bridge to Staten Island that charges 18 cents extra to use a credit card. The Exxon station across from him doesn't post its card rates; they might be just as outrageous.

I can still use my credit even at that reduction. I get 1 % back,so at $ 3.50 a gallon (more now) I am still ahead of the 3 cents per gallon. Sometimes it is 5% back for several months. I never carry a credit card ballance at the interest they charge now.
BTW the debit cards are the worst thing to carry. Even worse than cash. If you loose the debit card, someone can wipe out your account. With cash, all you loose is the cash you have with you. Credit cards are protected to some extent.
On Monday, September 17, 2012 10:34:58 AM UTC-4, Ralph Mowery wrote:
Same with me. I also get 1% back on my credit card. Lot of folks can't do math or worse drive an extra ten miles to save a few cents per gallon consuming far more in fuel costs to do it.
Then if you even pay cash, you have to get in line with people buying food items at most gas stations and if you fill up, you have to go back in line for change. Even though retired, I value my time more than waiting in line.
On 9/17/2012 10:54 AM, Frank wrote:

> I've been going for years without carrying too much cash, mostly > relying on my debit card. $20 - $25 was enough for the occasional low > cost purchase or to order subs at work, things like that. > > Now, with gas prices being where they are, I'm noticing more and more > stations offering three cents off for cash purchases. Now I find I > have to carry close to $100 if I want to fill up and still have my $20 > - $25 pocket cash. > I can still use my credit even at that reduction. I get 1 % back,so at $ 3.50 a gallon (more now) I am still ahead of the 3 cents per gallon. Sometimes it is 5% back for several months. I never carry a credit card ballance at the interest they charge now. BTW the debit cards are the worst thing to carry. Even worse than cash. If you loose the debit card, someone can wipe out your account. With cash, all you loose is the cash you have with you. Credit cards are protected to some extent.

math or worse drive an extra ten miles to save a few cents per gallon consuming far more in fuel costs to do it.

items at most gas stations and if you fill up, you have to go back in line for change. Even though retired, I value my time more than waiting in line.

Not retired but I don't like waiting either. I do like the cash only places that have appeared that charge less and pump it for me though.
On Mon, 17 Sep 2012 07:54:46 -0700 (PDT), Frank
> I've been going for years without carrying too much cash, mostly > relying on my debit card. $20 - $25 was enough for the occasional low > cost purchase or to order subs at work, things like that. > > Now, with gas prices being where they are, I'm noticing more and more > stations offering three cents off for cash purchases. Now I find I > have to carry close to $100 if I want to fill up and still have my $20 > - $25 pocket cash. > I can still use my credit even at that reduction. I get 1 % back,so at $ 3.50 a gallon (more now) I am still ahead of the 3 cents per gallon. Sometimes it is 5% back for several months. I never carry a credit card ballance at the interest they charge now. BTW the debit cards are the worst thing to carry. Even worse than cash. If you loose the debit card, someone can wipe out your account. With cash, all you loose is the cash

math or worse drive an extra ten miles to save a few cents per gallon consuming far more in fuel costs to do it.

items at most gas stations and if you fill up, you have to go back in line for change. Even though retired, I value my time more than waiting in line.
Not only do I get the 1%+ back to me on the credit card, if I let the cash back build over $300 before redeeming it they give me an extra 25% bonus (up to $100). I know some people don't like using credit cards but to me the only way to go is to charge EVERYTING on the card and get the cash back reward.
-snip-

Cool! Who does that? They might have a new customer.

I'm with you. Unless the vendor is giving a bigger discount than the card is, It seems like a no-brainer to me.
Jim

Bank of America, the bank everyone loves to hate. In my experience they have been terrific.

Debit card loss limit 50 bucks, by federal law.
My wife lost her card must of dropped it at the pump:(
someone ran up 300 bucks in theft charges, wife got all 300 back it got charged back to the gas station. where the bank electronically debited it out of the gas stations account.....
the station was supposed to review the security tapes and go after the thief, but as it turned out the security camera was broke...
i thought somone may have turned in the card to the stations cashier who used it themselves if they knew the cameras werent working

Last I heard that was only on CREDIT Cards. Some banks have CHOSEN to implement the same $50 limit (or even $0 limit) on Debit cards (and credit cards too) but there is no federal law requiring it.

On Mon, 17 Sep 2012 10:34:55 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"

Visa and MC branded debit cars carry the same protection as their credit cards but since it takes time to straighten things out, I'd rather they took the bank's money than mine.
On Sep 17, 1:44pm, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

.
Yep. Someone got my gf's card info a few months ago and purchased about $1,200 worth of stuff over the internet. She got back every penny within a couple of days.
Ralph Mowery wrote:

Well then americans are safe - because most of them don't have two dimes to rub together...
On Mon, 17 Sep 2012 10:34:55 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"

So are debit cards. My wife had hers stolen and there was about $1000 in charges. We had the money back in the account in a couple of days.
Ralph Mowery wrote:

Hmm. My two debit cards have exactly the same protection as a credit card.
Your experience may vary.

The difference is in the avalanche of other problems that debit card fraud can cause. If your accounts are zeroed out for a few days, all sorts of bad things can happen. If your debt is bumped up for a few days, who cares?
FOr that reason alone, I never use a debit card on the Internet or where the physical plastic leaves my hand (restaurant, etc.).

On Sep 18, 11:19am, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

..
well as long as you dont write a check ATM can not legally bounce your account:)
Bounce fees like 38 bucks on a 2 buck puchase overdrawn by a buck USED to be a major bank prfit center......
tjhat can no onger occur

You never write checks?

Cite.