OT/ Garage Sale Score!

Not as I see it. A cost saving measure, yes, but an investment? I think not. The object purchased (in this example) is not going to produce income or increase in value. Well, I guess eventually it might become a collector's item or a museum piece, but that is not why the battery and charger were purchased.

A Beanie Baby purchased for a kid to play with is a toy. A Beanie Baby purchased to be stored in its original package to be sold later at (hopefully) a higher price is an investment.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

As before, I'd call that a cost saving measure, not an investment. Now, if they

*bought* the consulting firm and the firm itself produced income, I'd call it an investment.
Reply to
DerbyDad03

...and your point would be...leave it in the trash? Half inch drive or half inch chuck capacity?

Reply to
bob_villain

Yeah, but in the USA we have freedom to do what the government says. Unlike other countries where they HAVE TO.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Now days, it's a penny taxed away from you.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I did forward that to some people who would appreciate it. Thank you for brighten the days of a couple of my friend. As with mine.

There was a young man who read usenet Whose lights went off due to a fusenet He said call the maker And switch to a breaker Sadly, I just ran out of rhymes.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The challenge is to figure out which will be in demand, later. Makes me wonder which of all the consumer goods I had, wore out, trashed. Which of them would be worth millions, now to a collector?

I attend very few garage sales. I could had a big box of triple pole circuit breakers. Sold em on Ebay. I passed up the purchase. Maybe to my downfall.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

That is a problem. I remember one classic car auction where one of the items was a beautifully restored Corvair. At least that year you could hardly give the thing away.

A contrary example is the current bubble in the Colt 'snake' revolvers. Even then, it's only certain configurations of a Python, Diamondback, or the others that brings the top buck.

Reply to
rbowman

n investment of $115, I could get $175 to $225 for the kit. For me, it's a n ultimate tool that I wouldn't normally be able to own.

etty sure that

is to keep it for

You seem to be too literal in your definition. Maybe you are a banker or in vestor...to a hobbyist or tradesman, a good tool *is* an investment. In my instance, there is a little Tim the Toolman testosterone enhancement factor also! 750 in/lb of torque! Ohohohoh!

Reply to
bob_villain

much the same)

an investment of $115, I could get $175 to $225 for the kit. For me, it's an ultimate tool that I wouldn't normally be able to own.

pretty sure that

t is to keep it for

investor...to a hobbyist or tradesman, a good tool *is* an investment. In m y instance, there is a little Tim the Toolman testosterone enhancement fact or also! 750 in/lb of torque! Ohohohoh!

To a tradesman, I agree. I've been saying that all along. I'm a hobbyist an d a homeowner. I have lots of tools. I also own 4 cars. I recently bought a bunch of tools to make doing brakes and other "minor" repairs a lot easier. I bought them to *save*'mone y, but I don't consider them to be an investment because I'll never *make* (or lose) any m oney with them.

I have made a few things that I got paid for, but none of the tools were bo ught for those purposes. However, after I made a couple of the items by buying just enough material to complete each job, I realized that I would probably be able to sell a few m ore. The next time someone asked me to make them one, I *invested* in enough material to make 4 at the same time. It took a few months, but I eventually sold all of my "in ventory". My investment paid off since I sold the items for more than I paid for the mat erial.

I'd like to know why you say a good tool is an investment to a hobbyist. If I am too literal in my definition, soften it for me and tell how something fun to play with is an investment.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Nearly all general definitions of "investment" go like this: "the act of putting money or effort into something to make a profit or achieve a result." So that covers hobbyists too. It's really pretty simple. It's clear from simple analysis of conversation too. For example how many shade tree mechanics are advised to invest in a compressor and air tools? A few years ago I invested in a 10" compound mitre saw with the expectation that it would be a profitable. It wasn't "fun" using it. But my wife wanted crown molding in two large rooms. She got it. I haven't used that saw since then, but it was a profitable investment.

Reply to
Vic Smith

You either carry your own weight or you're a lazy Obamacrat, dependent on others. Which are you? Do you depend on a government check? Is your daughter on welfare?

Reply to
I.B. Corpulent

1/2" (forgot the "):-(
Reply to
flakey714

You missed the point...it's not clear if you had a drill or a socket driver?

Reply to
bob_villain

Way back when I "invested" a bit of money buying 2 Chromega XL 4 by 5" enlargers so I could make 20 by 24" color enlargements from large format negatives (mostly 'Blads'). Enlargers are a lot like printing money . I am about to sell them now that large format silver-based photography is making a comeback. Whatever I get will just add to the thousands of dollars those two machines have enabled me to make over the years. I started as a hobbyist and ended up doing it professionally and the money I spent on them has been recouped many times over.

I'd define a good investment as something you expect to make money for you in the here and now or be worth more than you put into it in the future. A bad investment would be something like VW stock. (-:

Reply to
Robert Green

The OP was talking about his cordless drill "score" I followed up concerning my own corded 1/2" drill find.

Reply to
flakey714

???^??? +1

Reply to
bob_villain

I wonder if the folks buying up VW because the price is low are going to recoup their investments? I know at least two people who invested in companies that were in trouble that later got into REAL trouble and vanished from the face of the earth. (The companies, not the investors!) I laughed when I saw the film '2001' at a 2001 revival and the space planes proudly proclaimed Pan Am Airlines. Pan Am didn't even last the 30 or so years from when the film was made.

Reply to
Robert Green

Had a slight accident with it today...looks like I'll have to give it to someone that can handle it properly!

bob_villain

You should invest in some band-aids.

Reply to
DerbyDad03