OT/ Garage Sale Score!

Page 2 of 3
On Thu, 26 Nov 2015 21:06:40 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

did not have to spend to have a trade with that tool come in and use it for you. When I buy an expensive tool it is usually based on what it would cost to have someone with it do something for me. In most cases, after one or two uses, the tool pays for itself and covers a reasonable price for my labor.
One example is the $100 (or less) computer disk and cable for a new outboard. You will spend more than that for one trip to the dealer to have your ECU logged out and you can do it wherever your boat is.
On Friday, November 27, 2015 at 1:03:43 AM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I hear what you are saying, but saving money is not really the same thing as investing. There is no increase in monetary value of the object purchased. It is not worth $100 before you use it then $200 afterwards. Now, if someone pays you to have their ECU logged out, then it's an income producing investment.
That kind of reminds me of a discussion in this group many years ago. A few people were insisting that every time they mowed their own lawn or painted they own house, they *earned* the amount they would have paid someone else to do it. (I know you didn't use the word "earn" so this discussion is different) I eventually pointed out to them that if they had zero dollars in the bank before they mowed the lawn, and zero dollars in the bank after they mowed the lawn, they must not have earned anything. They quietly went away. :-)
On 11/27/2015 07:29 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

In our locality, all lawns must be cut/maintained below a certain height. If you fail to keep your lawn cut, the local municipality will cut it for you (at charge of course). Obviously, for me, mowing the lawn is not optional.
The municipality's mowing fee is roughly 150% above market rate and is the most expensive option.
The second option is to hire it done but that is expensive as well. Keep in mind that when hiring a service, most people have to pay for the service with after-tax dollars. In my case, I have to earn $100 pre-tax dollars to pay for a $75 mow-job.
The third and most economical option is to buy a mower and DIY. Aside from the one-time purchase of the mower, DIY mowing is the cheapest option and is also good for your health.
So, for us wage-slave taxpayers, buying a lawn mowing tool is an investment that pays huge dividends every time we use it.
On Fri, 27 Nov 2015 11:10:09 -0500

So the government runs all aspects of your life and you happily spend money to keep the government happy. That is the most pathetic thing I have read in weeks.
On 11/27/2015 11:48 AM, burfordTjustice wrote:

Yeah, but in the USA we have freedom to do what the government says. Unlike other countries where they HAVE TO.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 11/27/2015 10:48 AM, burfordTjustice wrote:

You either carry your own weight or you're a lazy Obamacrat, dependent on others. Which are you? Do you depend on a government check? Is your daughter on welfare?
On Fri, 27 Nov 2015 04:29:57 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

A penny saved is a penny earned
On Friday, November 27, 2015 at 12:17:58 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Benny met a Genie who would grant him 3 wishes with the stipulation that Benny could never shave his beard again. If he did, the Genie would stuff him into a clay pot for the rest of eternity.
Benny agreed and became a very rich and happy man. However, after a few years, he grew tired of the long beard. Since he hadn't heard from the Genie in all that time, he figured he could get away with shaving it off. As soon as he finished shaving - POOF - he found himself crammed inside a clay pot.
The moral of the story:
A Benny shaved is a Benny urned.
On 11/27/2015 2:00 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I did forward that to some people who would appreciate it. Thank you for brighten the days of a couple of my friend. As with mine.
There was a young man who read usenet Whose lights went off due to a fusenet He said call the maker And switch to a breaker Sadly, I just ran out of rhymes.

Now days, it's a penny taxed away from you.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 11/27/2015 05:29 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

So if a company, say Pfizer, pays a consultant millions to set up a tax avoidance scheme that will maximize profit going forward, then it isn't an investment?
On Friday, November 27, 2015 at 2:28:10 PM UTC-5, rbowman wrote:

As before, I'd call that a cost saving measure, not an investment. Now, if they *bought* the consulting firm and the firm itself produced income, I'd call it an investment.
On Thu, 26 Nov 2015 21:06:40 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

whatever projects he needs it for.
It may be a money loosing investment, but it is an investment - to invest - to vest (money) in - alsp to put out (ASSETS) for a cause.
On Wednesday, November 25, 2015 at 7:10:02 AM UTC-8, bob_villain wrote:

A widow down the street was cleaning out a shed with loads of "useless" tools n other junk. Mostly drills, sanders, saws, w/o working batteries. Included in the trash was a Hitachi corded 1/2 drive I recovered. Haven't needed it yet.
On Friday, November 27, 2015 at 1:14:42 PM UTC-6, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

...and your point would be...leave it in the trash? Half inch drive or half inch chuck capacity?
On Friday, November 27, 2015 at 1:45:57 PM UTC-8, bob_villain wrote:

1/2" (forgot the "):-(
On Saturday, November 28, 2015 at 9:28:04 AM UTC-6, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

You missed the point...it's not clear if you had a drill or a socket driver?
On Saturday, November 28, 2015 at 8:00:56 AM UTC-8, bob_villain wrote:

The OP was talking about his cordless drill "score" I followed up concerning my own corded 1/2" drill find.
On Wednesday, November 25, 2015 at 9:10:02 AM UTC-6, bob_villain wrote:

Had a slight accident with it today...looks like I'll have to give it to someone that can handle it properly!
http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x430/BenDarrenBach/100_0686_zps5hr3lppq.jpg
On Tuesday, December 1, 2015 at 5:05:27 PM UTC-5, bob_villain wrote:

You should invest in some band-aids.