OT Funeral Home expenses

Page 1 of 2
http://www.miller-funeralhome.com/fh/obituaries/obituary.cfm?o_id 43767&fh_id301
This was a friend of my niece. I don't have any details about her family.
The web site says.......... In lieu of flowers, donations are requested to Miller Funeral Home to help with Katie’s expenses.
Without bothering to ask anyone that might know, I am thinking out loud that a funeral home would not usually assume the cost of a burial with the expectation of covering the costs with donations.
I think it is nice that people are given a chance to donate to her expenses, but what happens to the money that comes in after the burial? I would hope that it goes to the family and not the funeral home.
On 4/13/2013 6:35 PM, Metspitzer wrote:

http://www.miller-funeralhome.com/fh/obituaries/obituary.cfm?o_id 43767&fh_id301

I seriously doubt the funeral home is "assuming the cost" of the funeral/burial. It generally written as donations to _who/whatever_ care of the funeral home rather than to the funeral home. No way I'm donating _to_ the funeral home; they'll have to clean that up before I'm a sucker even if was best friend or family...
Metspitzer wrote:

http://www.miller-funeralhome.com/fh/obituaries/obituary.cfm?o_id 43767&fh_id301

When my wife died of cancer in February, in lieu of flowers, all donations were to be sent to St. Judes Children's Hospital.
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On 4/13/2013 9:30 PM, willshak wrote:

that's normal. Donating to a charity instead of flowers.
What the OP is saying is not normal, is donations being made to the funeral home to help cover the cost of the death and funeral, furthurmore that the funeral home may have covered the cost and will recuperate it's costs from donations, in lieu of flowers.

This may just be badly worded, too. It is not at all unusual to ask for donations to a surviving kid's college fund or to help with their expenses, especially if very young. Most often this will go to a trust fund of some sort. Could be what they meant to say.... or not.
On 4/14/2013 9:01 AM, Kurt Ullman wrote:

I've never seen seen asked donations made to a funeral home, but have plenty time seen asked donations made to the remaining family members, usually called a "trust" or in trust. It happens alot if children are left without a parent or a disabled widow is left etc...

I would think if it is a reputable funeral home, they would accept the donations strictly to a pre-arranged amount. Anything over would go to the family or some other charity.
If the family knows the owner of the funeral home, they may do it "on the cheap" and accept long term payment or something. I have to assume the family does not have cash or insurance to cover expenses and will accept the generosity of friends. I've seen fund raisers done for that reason.
No one needs an expensive funeral. Cremations can be done for around $500. With a cremation you can eliminate the cost of a casket and embalming. Cremations are better for the environment as well.

What makes you think the family had $500 laying around? How are cremations better for the environment?

Where did Fritz say that a family had $500 lying around?
He did mention embalming. That would put some pretty nasty chemicals into a coffin to sit underground for a few hundred years before releasing said chemicals.
Typical embalming fluid contains a mixture of formaldehyde, glutaraldehyde, ethanol, humectants, and wetting agents and other solvents. The formaldehyde content generally ranges from 5 to 35 percent and the ethanol content may range from 9 to 56 percent.
--
Dan Espen

I agree that it's uncommon for the funeral home to pocket donations, but the family is undoubtedly aware of that obituary and would have approved it. It could be that the family can't fully afford the cost of burying Katie, and has asked that donations be made to the funeral home to cover Katie's final expenses. I can see a funeral home doing that if they were aware of the family's difficult financial situation. It's obvious that Miller's is doing this funeral on a different basis than they normally would.
My father passed away several years ago, and the total cost including the casket, headstone, viewing at the funeral home the evening prior to the funeral, church services on the day of the funeral, funeral home services (such as flower arrangements and limousines), rental of a hall and catering of sandwiches and coffee at the hall after the funeral, ran very close to $10,000. That cost didn't cover the double plot of ground in the cemetery which cost about $4,000 IIRC.
And, that funeral was done relatively inexpensively. If we had purchased a more expensive casket and flowers, and better food by the caterers, it could have easily run to $15,000. But, I recall talking about that with my dad when I was young, and we both agreed that spending money on a lavish funeral for a person was a waste of money. The person on whom the money is being spent won't benefit in the least from the better quality wood in the coffin or the more expensive flowers. They'd have been better off to spend that extra money on themselves while they were still alive.
--
nestork

Hatched, Matched and Despatched, (Christening Marriage Funeral,) Everything's expensive in the USA.
What happens if there's no money to "dispose" of a corpse" in America?
On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 04:29:37 +0000, nestork

This is a small town where everyone knows everyone.

On Sunday, April 14, 2013 12:29:37 AM UTC-4, nestork wrote:

No way. It can't be something practical and logical like that.
This is a huge conspiracy masterminded by Barack Obama to take all our freedoms and wealth through donations to the funeral home. Then he will send out his goons with their 16 billion hollow point bullets to execute us all.
The problem with being buried is that someone, someday, is going to dig you up and you'll be on display or scattered around. It may not be in ten years or a hundered years, but it will happen.
Leave it to government to tug on our heart strings. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
No way. It can't be something practical and logical like that.
This is a huge conspiracy masterminded by Barack Obama to take all our freedoms and wealth through donations to the funeral home. Then he will send out his goons with their 16 billion hollow point bullets to execute us all.

I'm sipping some ethanol right now. I'll be pre-embalmed and ready for the cremation.

Many people are buried in the US and elsewhere without any embalming. AIUI this may make viewing impossible (or at least repugnant). And it may mean that the burial has to be relatively soon, but not I think if the weather is not hot or if the body is refrigerated most of the time before the funeral. Which iiuc is often the case anyhow.
Often, a funeral home will tell the family that embalming is required by law, but they are usually or always lying when they say that.
Last I heard, cardboard caskets are available from Wal-Mart, but I can imagine a funeral home refusing to use one. I wonder if any funeral homes sell them. I don't know if caskets are really required or not.
More than one body can be buried in the same grave. Even with a wooden casket, one can bury an additional person roughly every 20 or 25 years I think it is. Maybe some cemeteries don't permit this or it would be more popular.

Maybe not. Apparently t hat would be a violation of the law, though it turn out to be necessary to remind them of that.

http://www.funerals.org/faq/casketretailers
"Be prepared for some resentment from the mortician at losing a big slice of the funeral profit if you obtain a casket elsewhere—your right to do so is protected by federal law." " Note: The funeral home may NOT add a "handling fee" if you purchase a casket on your own."
"A few states—Louisiana, Oklahoma, and Virginia—with strong funeral industry lobbies, do not permit anyone other than a mortician to sell a casket or coffin. A few brave souls are trying to buck the funeral boards in those states. Look for folks selling or building "hope chests" as there is no law in any state to keep you from using one to move a body."
I was actually considering making my own casket for fun. That is, I need a woodworking project. My uncle built a chest big enough for a body when he was in highschool, and my mother used it for a long time to store things. But my house is full and I have no room for it.

Normal practice over here in the UK. But see this for days of yore. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charnel_house In some countries, these can be visited.
It's quite common over here for people to be buried in wicker coffins as environmentally friendly. You can bury someone in your garden too.