OT - Full Size Spare - Or Is It?

Page 1 of 4
I rented a car this weekend. The tire pressure indicator came on. At my next stop I checked the tires and it turned out to be that the left front tire was low. I filled it up and decided to check the spare to make sure it was full of air just in case I needed it. When I opened the trunk, I initially thought that the spare was a full size spare, because it sure wasn't a donut.
After closer inspection I noticed that the tires on the car were Bridgestones, 205/55-16, while the spare was a Pirelli 195/65-15. Under the numbers it had the words "Standard load" OK, so it's not quite a full size spare when compared to the tires on the car, but at least it's a real tire. Then I noticed that the rim had the familiar "donut labels" on it. Limited Use, Do Not Exceed 50 MPH, etc.
So what's the deal? Why would a full size tire, even if it was slightly smaller than the original tires, have the Limited Use, reduced speed labels on it? Granted, the smaller tire might make the handling a little weird. Could that be the reason they label the spare as "limited use", etc?
On 12/29/2013 05:24 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

My concern would be the hub.
Will the hub even fit on the car?
If so, then the 15" tire would certainly be better than one of those mini-spares...but of course it would not be for long term use as it is the wrong size for the car.

Why wouldn't the hub fit? Are you speculating that the spare that came with the rental car is unusable?
On 12/29/2013 05:54 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

If the spare was a factory original, I'm sure it's OK.
If it's something the rental agency just threw in there, I'd compare the hub size.
On 12/29/13, 3:24 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I 'heard' manufactures finally realized compact spares were impacting sales... decided they wanted something that at a quick glance in the showroom looks like a full size spare, but still cheaper & lighter than providing an actual 'real' tire/wheel assembly. A compromise...
Anti lock brakes, traction control and some other stuff also don't play well with compact spares.
More here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spare_tire
An (unreliable) acquaintance said he'd herd at least one mfg is about to, or maybe already is selling cars sans spare altogether. Don't know which one/s, and it may in fact not be factual.
Erik

My last truck had a "full size" spare but it wasn't the same size as the other tires (15" vs. 16"). It was a real wheel but couldn't be rotated with the other tires.

Wouldn't surprise me. I don't remember the last time I used the spare. I think it was on my '78 Granada (in perhaps '84). The spare on my last truck never left its mount. It couldn't have, for the last eight years, or more. The whole assembly was rusted into one big glop. It would have had to have been torched out.

the fundie guide to vehicle maintenance: do nothing, blame others when it breaks
On Mon, 30 Dec 2013 11:30:22 -0800, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"

You don't need to lie, Malformed, when you could just as easily shut up. You've demonstrated, time and time again, that those are the only choices a lefty has.
"Erik" wrote in message
On 12/29/13, 3:24 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I 'heard' manufactures finally realized compact spares were impacting sales... decided they wanted something that at a quick glance in the showroom looks like a full size spare, but still cheaper & lighter than providing an actual 'real' tire/wheel assembly. A compromise...
Anti lock brakes, traction control and some other stuff also don't play well with compact spares.
More here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spare_tire
An (unreliable) acquaintance said he'd herd at least one mfg is about to, or maybe already is selling cars sans spare altogether. Don't know which one/s, and it may in fact not be factual.
Erik
A friend bought a Toyota (minivan?) I do not recall what it is called. Had "run flat tires" on it and no spare came with it. WW
On 12/29/2013 11:51 PM, WW wrote:

Many cars have no spare. Chevy Cruz and possibly others, Hyundai Accent and probably others. They have a kit with fix a flat type stuff to get you going.
Can't recall the last time I used the spare, but I'd feel more secure on a long trip having one. Around my normal works, shopping, not so much.
On 12/29/13, 8:10 PM, Erik wrote:

Newer Volvos with larger (18"+) factory tires definitely do not have spare tires. They come with kit of a pump & sealant. Basically a fancy Fix-A-Flat kit. Even the donut spares of that size do not fit in the trunk storage well. IIRC Jaguars also do this.
Read this article from Edmunds http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/the-disappearing-spare-tire.html where they say "Edmunds has only been tracking the use of repair kits since 2009, but the list of cars with no spare tire is growing. According to Edmunds.com data, 47 more models now have repair kits. That's a 204 percent increase in cars that use them as a spare tire substitute. Repair kits are standard in 21 percent of the current vehicles available and outnumber the cars that come with run-flat tires."
On 12/30/2013 8:55 AM, Retired wrote:

The vehicles I've had for the last few years, tire problems are a real concern. They go flat, and one time I had the lugs loosen and cause trouble a couple days after doing some brake work. I'd sure prefer to have a full size spare if possible.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Who did the brake work? Lug nuts don't typically "loosen" on their own. It usually starts with a incorrect tightening procedure, such as not enough torque or not using the "crisscross" tightening pattern.
What "trouble" did the loose lugs cause that would have made a full size spare desirable?
On 12/30/2013 8:05 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Buy one and quit yer bitchen. :-)
Irreverent Maximus wrote:

You know what? When I buy new vehicle one condition is getting a full size spare tire on a matching rim. The dealer has to include it on a deal. Up front I tell them that is what I want/need on my new car.
On 12/31/2013 1:17 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:

I also require a key operated lock on the passenger side door.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

On 12/31/2013 12:10 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I guess it is not important to me. I don't know if any of my last three cars had one. Rare that I'd lock the doors anyway, but my remote starter does.
Locked car doors make amateur thieves damage you car and do nothing to stop a pro.

They keep honest people honest and appease insurance companies. That's all any lock does.

Had my car broken into twice. One time they took a quart of oil in the back seat.. Second time the glove box contents were on the floor.
Cars parked near me that were locked had broken windows, pry marks and some other damage. My brother lost a pair of sunglasses and had the convertible top slashed to get to them.