OT: Fruit flies/gnats control?

Other than flypaper sticky tape are other options available? Little critters flying in the kitchen and a bunch more in the aluminum cans recycle bag are bugging me to the limit! Pun intended. Would still prefer to get rid of whatever they are.

Reply to
nospambob

Remove what is attracting them. Put the recyclables outside and close the kitchen window or put up screens.

Reply to
badgolferman

If you have house plants, put a thin layer of regular play sand on the soil. Compliments of the Garden Guy on HGTV. Ours were gone in week.

--Andy Asberry recommends NewsGuy--

Reply to
Andy Asberry

We had a horrible infestation this spring.

We bring them in with our bananas(as eggs), so we had to start covering the bananas with bags. The only thing we've found to kill them is a fly swatter.

I placed a cut up banana in the sink and when they found it, I sprayed them 'flying insect' killer.

It didn't kill a one.

So I just got out the Raid and used that. About 10 percent sucumbed to the raid, the others got healthier.

Next, I tried MALATHION spray. Again, most flew away.

Finally, I got the fly swatter out and went after them one by one.

Reply to
JimL

I'm told that plain old houshold ammonia in a spray bottle dissolves most bugs.

Reply to
Goedjn

Years ago I suddenly had a fruit fly problem... turned out they were thriving on the rotting limes in old Corona bottles. Got rid of them, and the flies disappeared.

Reply to
Larry Bud

wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

If they are dark or black, and walk around real fast when you approach, check your sewer drain traps or decomposing organic material(poop). If they have red eyes and fly immediately without making a run for it first, they are probably after your fruit. Look for horse, or other animal fly spray either in an aerosol or spray bottle. The active ingredient will be pyrethrins. It will also have Piperonyl buteroxifici-something, and Oxyl-bicyclorifi-stuff(or similar =/). Permethrins is a synthetic, and I'm not convinced it is as safe around our parrot. Camicide is a name brand. It is harder to find around these parts, but upon visiting Jeffries, and Tractor Supply, and other farm supply houses, I found what I was looking for in most "fly spray" bottles. Pyrethrins is the only active ingredient in some back rub chemicals we used for flys and lice for cattle, unless we mixed it with diesel fuel. Diesel made it last longer, or "residual". Flea and tick chemical has pyrethrins in it, but also contains other chemicals that may not be so safe around dogs and cats in quantity, and also makes it "residual", meaning it sticks around for things to walk through it. That may not be what you want. The little tubes that you squeeze on the nap of their neck usually contains pyrethrin, or permethrin. One of the good things about Camicide and such, containing only pyrethrin is the fact that it is not a residual chemical. Wait a little bit for it to evaporate from the floor and it is safe to go back in, although I wouldn't shoot a fly off my tea glass with it or anything without washing it first. ;) Hope that helps. Oh, and fly paper made out of something bright yellow usually helps attract them. Maybe they think it's a banana or something, but color does make a difference in attractants.

Reply to
Shoebox Chevy