OT Frank Sinatra

Page 1 of 2
screw politics it's time for something good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIiUqfxFttM

On 1/28/2016 4:40 PM, philo wrote:

What a wonderful choice. I have always liked Frank Sinatra. Many years ago, my dad took me to Houston to see him perform live. He was fabulous!
On 01/28/2016 05:24 PM, SeaNymph wrote:

Somewhere around 1990 he came to Milwaukee and I went to see him as I thought it would be my last chance...and it was , he never sang here again
sure glad I was there!
On 1/28/2016 5:31 PM, philo wrote:

Sinatra was good when he was young, but when it got older I couldn't stand him. I thought he lost something in his voice and people just thought he was great because of his name. Dean Martin, I always loved, along with Bing Crosby, Danny Kaye, and Tony Bennett.
--
Maggie

On 01/28/2016 05:47 PM, Muggles wrote:

When I was a kid (in the early 60's) and even before I knew his name I'd always hear this guy on the radio with a distinctive voice, who I eventually learned was Frank Sinatra.
By the late 60's I liked the Beatles and Rolling Stones etc and Frank Sinatra was just an old "square" > Except for maybe Dean Martin who really did have a great voice...I did not care at all for any of the singers from my "father's generation".
Then in the early 80's (or so) when he came out with New York, New York I don't know anyone who did not fall deeply in love with that song.
I think by then I was well tired of rock and roll and realized that Frank Sinatra really was damn good. Now at the age of 66 I can really appreciate his music.
On 1/28/2016 6:08 PM, philo wrote:

Well, I really liked his music when he was a young man, but NY,NY just sounded to me like he lost his gift and was trying to pretend he could still sing. I guess I don't like that style of music, either, which made it worse for me. I still can't listen to the man sing when his music is played on TV. It's like fingernails on a chalk board to me.

I guess you have to have an ear to hear him in order to appreciate it.
--
Maggie

On 01/28/2016 06:19 PM, Muggles wrote:

Well, FWIW, the older I get the worse my hearing has become.
My wife tells me to get my hearing tested but I already know I'm losing it. My low range is still good, but the high frequencies are pretty much gone.
On 1/28/2016 6:29 PM, philo wrote:

I've already got a wide range hearing loss, but hearing aids help a lot.
--
Maggie

On 01/28/2016 06:42 PM, Muggles wrote: X

I kind of like a little less auditory input
On 1/28/2016 6:45 PM, philo wrote:

It's like that when I take them out. lol
--
Maggie

On 01/28/2016 06:58 PM, Muggles wrote:

What? ;)
On 1/28/2016 8:04 PM, philo wrote:

Guy once said that the perfect wife was deaf and dumb and owned a liquor store.
On Thursday, January 28, 2016 at 8:18:34 PM UTC-5, Frank wrote:

Sinatra quote "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning that's the best they are going to feel all day".
On 01/29/2016 10:31 AM, Thomas wrote:

In my drinking days I would have agreed, Now that I've quit...it is damn nice waking up feeling totally great!
On 1/28/2016 7:04 PM, philo wrote:

umm Can you repeat that?
--
Maggie

On Thursday, January 28, 2016 at 7:45:33 PM UTC-5, philo wrote:

I posted in another thread about a friend who now wears a hearing aid to help prevent total hearing loss in one ear due to that section of brain shutting down due to "lack of use". The aid not only helps with his hearing, but also emits a small amount of white noise to keep the brain active.
It's not just about increasing the amount that you can hear, which you don't care about, it's also about preventing total hearing loss, which I assume you do.
On 01/29/2016 06:54 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Last time I had it checked, the doctor just said it was normal for someone of my age,
Like I said though my low range is is still very good
On 1/28/2016 5:40 PM, philo wrote:

I don't hate the bastard, but I'm thinking of filtering Philo for being off topic.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

I don't want to start a war here, but as far as I'm concerned Dean has (had) a much better singing voice than Frank ever did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mv9PSkNkUfs

On 1/29/2016 12:59 PM, Roger Blake wrote:

A lot of people think that. For me, I just didn't like Dean Martin. I'm not even sure why.