OT: For those people using OE to read newsgroups

If you find that your newsreader (OE) doesn't properly quote some messages (especially those from google groups), there is a freeware fix called "oe quotefix".
http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix /
I have been using this for over a year now, with no problems whatsoever.
Jon
p.s. No affiliation with the software or it's author, other than being a happy end user.

Too late...I hated how OE would not get the quotes right, and for no apparent reason. I upgraded to Windows 7 which uses Windows Mail instead of OE. Windows Mail is a horrid news reader - load up a really large newsgroup and watch it crash. So I switched to XNews, and I'll never again use OE or any other Microsoft mail or news product :)
Zootal wrote the following:

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

I did. I went from Windows Mail to Thunderbird (which I do use for email btw) but I didn't like how it handled newsgroups. Xnews gives much more control, and unlike OE, WLM, and Thunderbird, is very fast and efficient with very large newsgroups. All the others choke when you have two million messages. Xnews zips right through it no problem.
Zootal wrote:

I haven't used OE since....Windows 3.11? Used Netscape for years, now Thunderbird. Between Thunderbird and Earthlink, it's darn rare to get spam and T'bird has yet to crash or otherwise muck up.
On 2/10/2010 1:41 PM Zootal spake thus:

Since I also use Thunderbird, I can say that I don't hate it. It does work pretty well (definitely way better than Outhouse Express!).
Having said that, Thunderbird (and other Mozilla software) does suffer from a number of problems, some of them due to its being open-source software. Worst problem, that you seem to have experienced, is that it can be really slooooooooooow. Especially when dealing with newsgroups with large numbers of messages.
The problem is that the software is created by many hands, each person working on one little module. The modules get connected together to create the application. The problem is that because of this modular approach, there's little or no higher-level design of the kind that regular software developers to do in order to optimize the performance of their programs.
Let me explain: in the open-source world, developer A writes module A that calls module B: developer B writes module B, that calls module C. Repeat as needed. The result is a bunch of deeply-nested calls where the actual work is done at the bottom of the call chain. Often this results in a big performance hit, compared to "unrolling" the chain and coding it in-line.
There are other problems with Thunderbird. I've gotten used to most of them, but they can be rather annoying. You can always put in a bug report (on Bugzilla), but that's its own pain in the ass. And if you're not a computer-geek type, fuggedaboudit.

- a Usenet "apology"

When I bought a new computer with Windows 7 I tried Agent. It is OK, but I'm glad to be back using Windows Mail. I've been using Incredimail for mail though. It was on the computer when I got it.

Good to know!!!
--
EA

> Jon
Jon Danniken wrote:

Works for me too.

There's an even easier fix...Don't respond to idiots using Google Groups or the Sucko site...HTH...
In typed:

OE QuoteFix is, AFAIK, the only thing available that's half-fast reliable and works consistantly. The two best sources for it are: http://www.insideoe.com/resources/tools.htm or http://majorgeeks.com/OE-QuoteFix_d4029.html
Both sites are safe & reliable, no covert probing, data collection etc..
For groups, it'll put your cursor at the bottom and your sig a the botton, or you can change it if you wish. It does nothing to change OE; it just sits on top of it and "fixes" some of the problems left in OE 5 & 6. You can use OE with or without it by pressing a key or using the other icon. It's not perfect and was abandoned years ago by its author, but it's functional and does what it says it'll do.
I'd highly recommend it if OE is your client of choice.
HTH,
Twayne
Newsgroups are great places to get assistance.
Twayne wrote:

I wonder if it works with Microsoft "Mail" in Vista?
typed:

I seriously doubt it would. For one thing, OE is going to be hard coded into it because it's an OE specific program.
HTH,
Twayne`
On 3/2/2010 8:43 PM, Bob F wrote:

Back in the day when I used Outlook Express, I also used Quotefix with good results. As for affiliation with the authors of the software, it's freeware, so it can't make any difference.
Don't know them myself either.
As far as I know, there are versions available for Outlook and Outlook Express, but that's it.
Jay
Twayne wrote:

I used OE with QuoteFix for years before switching to Thunderbird. Now, if I could just find BrainFix........
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

It's right next to MemoryFinder which is somewhere.........Nope, not there. It's here somewhere.