OT: For the computer gurus

You really can't read, can you?

...or think.

Bell labs sure was. Try reading, for once. Really, you might learn something.

No such connection was made, except in your little mind.

You bet! Both are all about feelings and faith. No logic needed.

You're at least half right. The rest I can't comment on.

Thank you. But it's really childish to announce such things. ...another common ground between Linux lovers and Democrats.

You're welcome. But you've killfiled me, right? You really aren't very bright.

Reply to
krw

With 2 phisical drives you make good gains that way. With 2 logical drives there are still advantages - less fragmentation etc - but the same head assembly still has to traverse the same disk real estate.

Reply to
clare

I don't see how taking the same drive and splitting it into two logical drives is going to significantly improve the performance. You still have the same disk physical properties, ie seek time, latency, etc. And even if it did make some small difference, I can't recall seeing the major computer companies spec anything for the consumer that shows it. Maybe that's why my HP came with one logical drive.

Reply to
trader4

AT&T? It's not a question of if AT&T was or wasn't losing money. AT&T didn't develop Linux to begin with. It was created by some guys that made it into an open source software project.

Reply to
trader4

My ThinkPads have all come with two partitions, one big one for the system and a smaller one that holds the original image (one can write a backup to it). My Netbook has two equal-sized partitions, both visible (no clue why someone would want that).

My Windows 7 system doesn't have another partition. Windows 8 (yuck)?

Reply to
krw

Well, the comment I was replying to was "designed by a money-losing division of your local telephone company".

Linux is of course the work of a large group of people that freely contribute their time, plus the work of some corporations.

The design originated at Bell Labs which wasn't a local telephone company, at the time it was a division of AT&T.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Sure is. Huh, wonder why I hadn't seen that before. It's not

100-200MB, either! The thing is 1.46GB! There is also the normal C: drive and another partition (23.7GB) Lenovo put there for recovery.

Good information. Thanks.

Reply to
krw

It's called "Backup and Restore". ;-) I use a USB drive for backups, though. I really need to make a set of DVDs and a CD boot disk but I'd need a CD/DVD drive for that. ;-)

Isn't that what the rich folk put glass in?

Reply to
krw

Yep. Buy a MacBook.

Reply to
John Albert

And exactly what was AT&T????

Atlantic Telephone and Telegraph - a "phone company" - the "local telephone company" for much of the eastern US at the time.

Reply to
clare

On mine I see 3 under disk management - 2 under Windows - and 1 when I remove the computer side panel.

Under computer management - only Drive 0 - with 3 partitions - only 2 with drive letters - C: and D:.

VERY common.

Reply to
clare

I once purchased a used computer and the seller installed the latest operating system, which I did not want. However, I considered that I might want to use it in the future, and since it was installed and legally registered, I was not going to delete it. Instead, I just bought another hard drive, put the blank hard drive in the computer, and installed the OS that I wanted. Eventually I did change to that newer OS, and all I had to do was swap the hard drive. Somer people dont understand that everything installed to a computer, is all on the hard drive. You can change hard drives and have a completely different OS (and other software) on the same computer. They do sell kits to make changing drives real easy too, it's nearly as simple as putting a DVD into a DVD player.

If you buy the computer from a computer store, you should be able to request what OS and other software you want. But if you buy fron Walmart or another retail store, you get what they give you.

Reply to
homeowner

If you say so.

My memory was that at the time we had NY Bell in NY, NJ Bell in NJ, etc. AT&T was the parent holding company owning all the regions, plus Bell Labs.

At least that's the way it was explained to me shortly after UNIX was developed and I was working at Bell Labs.

Reply to
Dan Espen

You're welcome!

Reply to
Mike Homes

If you buy a prebuilt computer you WILL get the OS that comes with the computer from the manufacturer - some flavour of Windows - sometimes with the option to upgrade or downgrade.

Buy a custom built and you can specify your OS.

Reply to
clare

They were all part of AT&T until anti-combines act broke them up.

Reply to
clare

Never heard of them. American Telephone and Telegraph was the holding company for the local Bell Telephone companies. Where I lived, it was Bell of Pennsylvania.

I believe there was an American Telegraph and Telephone in Atlantic County New Jersey though.

There was also Bell Atlantic that is now Verizon.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

So you can spend twice as much for incompatible crap. Kinda like Linux, but even more expensive.

Reply to
krw

In fact, if your data is on one partition and your code and/or swap on the other, the head has to travel much farther on average.

Reply to
Wes Groleau

The way I heard it is that Linux was a "work-alike" i.e., NOT a modification of AT&T-designed code but a start-over-from-scratch implementation of the same functionality.

Reply to
Wes Groleau