OT: For the computer gurus

Will be purchasing a new laptop. Are there any methods to avoid installing the overbearing bundled software I don't want or do I resort to the uninstall process one at a time?

Thank you

Reply to
Meanie

Not a guru- but;

Buy a copy of Windows 7. [or whatever the latest Mac software is]

Wipe the drive. Install the operating system.

OTOH-- *I* wouldn't worry about it.

If you buy a decent laptop it won't even notice the bloatware.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

What I've normally done is prepare by downloading the free program "pcdecrapifier" to a USB drive and on the new PC NOT connected to a network, insert and run that program. It will ask you several questions about what you want to do and/or keep and when its done, connect to the network and register your OS. All the updates will then come down.

You may also wish to preload an anti-virus progrom onthe USB and run it before connecting as well.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Reply to
BobMCT

Where you buy it makes a difference. If you go to Best Buy or other big box sores, they seem to be loaded with every imaginable useless program available. If you buy from a real computer dealer that works with commercial accounts, you can get away with much less of that crap.

I buy from Denis. He has built probably 20+ computers for me over the years, both home and at work. He does not build the laptops, but it was junk free when I got my wife's from him

Sure, you can buy from him, but there are hundreds of little shops that do similar work. If you go to the Products page
you will see how it can be customized for your needs.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I bought direct from HP about a year ago. The only extras on it were Norton, which I wanted and the HP support assistant that looks for driver updates, etc. The PCs I bought used to be loaded with a lot of crap like free internet offers, etc, but that greatly decreased over the years.

I agree with Ed. If you want one that is totally clean, one option is one of the houses that will build a system to your specifications, where you choose the MB, box, OS, etc. But of course there are tradeoffs with that as well.

Reply to
trader4

I think it's wise to get your favorite antivirus program, downloaded to CD or flash drive. Load that onto the computer before you connect to the internet, and go immediately to their web page for updates.

I got a desktop back from the shop, one time. Checked my email before the anti virus install. Jammed the computer with virus. Back to the shop for a few more days of work. I'll never make that mistake again.

.

You may also wish to preload an anti-virus progrom onthe USB and run it before connecting as well.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

"Meanie" wrote in news:kelmlb$86j$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

I've bought the last few machines from

Good prices and service, but you can probably get cheaper elsewhere. My excuse is that there is a local store near me in a tax advantaged zone (3.5% sales tax vs the usual NJ 7%) I would also recommend PCdecrapifier. In addition, get an external harddrive or 2 so you can make a copy/image of your drive - First as is from the store, than when you've optimized it. You probably can skip the from the store because there usually is a way to restore to factory fresh. Rotating hard drives and backups might be good.

Reply to
Han

I'm sure they are available. At one time, Sony Vaio's were available bloat/crap-ware free, but Sony charged extra. Such a stink arose, they dropped the charge. I'm sure most reputable vendors will provide a bloatware free laptop if it means them losing a sale fon not doing so. If you insist on buying at the lowest price, like at some discount or box store, yer gonna get the crap.

Google for bloatware free.

Personally, I'd recommend a Linux laptop.

nb

Reply to
notbob

Thanks guys. I'm currently viewing four laptops at Costco. Two are HP, one Toshiba Satellite and one Acer with good prices, but I've always hated that bundled software. Throughout my computer purchasing history, there may have been one or two programs I used total from all bundles and most, if not all, come with Norton which I despise. Therefore, it's just a waste for me.

Reply to
Meanie

Per Ed Pawlowski:

I do the uninstall process one-at-at-time with an additional twist: When I am done, I use a disk imaging utility to create an image in case I need to restore the system and don't want to go through the one-at-a-time routine.

To make this work, I always re-partition the drive into:

- C:\ for the system (50 gigs is more than enough)

- D:\ for data - the remaining drive space

Then I embrace the discipline of not putting data on the system drive and keeping notes on anything that I do to the system (like installing new applications, changing settings...)

Sounds good, but I always mess up with something and leave some data on C:.

To cover that, I select an imaging utility that can open an image as if it were another drive. Then, before re-imaging, I take an image of the system tb replaced in case I have to recover some mis-saved data from the old system.

Sounds kind of convoluted now that I'm reading what I just wrote.

But it's really quite simple and quick once one gets the process down pat. In the past I've had a teenager banging on my PC for a couple hours per day. In that context, I got to where I would re-image the system if I even *though* something was amiss. The process takes less than 30 minutes. It's also helpful later on when the inevitable system slowness sets in..... just re-image to that "Good" system and performance comes back.

For the life of me, I cannot understand why computer vendors persist in dedicating the entire drive to C:\System and/or why the distinction between "System" and "Data" hasn't become a sort of semi-religion among computer users.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

No reason to buy anything. Microsoft Security Essentials works just fine and it's free.

You must be pretty careless.

Reply to
krw

If you buy a Dell from small business I believe you still get the OS and Dr= iver DVD/CD. And you can wipe the drive and re-install. If they no longer i= nclude it with purchase they will send you a one-time free DVD with the Win= dows OS from their support site. Good for all purchases within the U.S. I have sent for all of my Dells that didn't come with them.

Reply to
Bob_Villa

You wanted NORTON?

Good God, man. What for?

Norton is the barnacle of the software world. Not only does it consume upwards of 5% of your CPU resources, it is VERY difficult to remove.

Reply to
HeyBub

Glad to see you support your local businesses Ed. I use local suppliers when I can because customer service is worth more to me than price. Besides, I'm in the business of supplying service and I believe in the adage of "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." I also recommend the folks I use myself when I'm asked for a referral. Gosh, I wish more business owners could understand what good customer service is and instill it in their employees who deal with the public. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I deal with a lot of computers in my work so I've had to find software to keep garbage off of them in order to keep them working. ^_^

One of the best sources for free software that can help you keep your computer clean and in good shape is listed below. CCleaner is a safe application that works very well along with many others available on the website.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Since you're obviously not using Norton, how would you know how hard or easy it is to remove? A few months ago, I had a problem where it stopped working. I removed it using the normal control panel process and re-installed it, no problem. Using 5% of CPU resources? So, what? PC is plenty fast with Norton on it. Any of the anti-virus products have their advantages and disadvantages. Norton has worked fine for me.

Reply to
trader4

I always do my own OS install, replacing all the crap at once.

BTW, Ubuntu (Linux) is a lot easier to install than Windows.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Norton works OK and I have it one some computers at work. MS Security Essentials works just as well and it is FREE.

Don't forget Malwarebytes too. It does what most AV software does not.

Ed Pawlowski

Why not? He is very competitive on price and while a one man operation, he had given us any support we need. Hi computers are reliable and really don't need much support. He sell you what you need, not what he has to offer and does not try to sell you more just to make a few bucks.

At the big box stores, you are just another potential commission.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Generally you need to uninstall what you don't want.

Reply to
clare