OT, for all you cowboys

Page 1 of 2
OT
On the TV show Rawhide, from the 60's iirc, one or two, maybe 3 of the men, especially iirc Gil Favor the boss, had on their horse what looked like a long canvas bag, where the saddlebags would be if they didn't have a wagon to carry stuff like that. The thing goes from maybe 8" to the right of the horse center line across to the left and down even with the bottom of the horse's belly. Maybe it looks more like draperies, but with no folds except maybe folded over at the front and back. Nothing in the middle.
What are these things called? What do the do?
It happens that micky formulated :

Could you find a picture? I'm not envisioning well enough from your description. Could it be a bedroll? A water carrier? A feedbag? There could be times where the horse and rider were well away from the wagon train perhaps needing their own supplies - for scouting ahead for instance.
For long you live and high you fly
In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 11 Aug 2015 07:50:06 -0400, FromTheRafters

I sort of doubt it, but I'll look.

Sorry about that.

At most an unrolled bedroll, and none other men have one. They're bedrolls must be on the chuckwagon (or did they have two wagons. The details aren't perfect, of course./) Plus I should have said that the whole thing was 42 to 48". Too short.

It's always flat, never has anything in it. Amd awfully big for water. Too heavy to carry and put on the horse. Would have to bend down and put your mouth as low as the bottom of the horse's belly to take a drink. The same width but 3 or 4 times the length of one water bag as seen in the episode of Wanted, Dead or Alive where Randall has to rescue some tinhorn in Indian country and his water bag gets shot up, a bag that seemed reasonable to look at.

Same problem. Plus it's too long for that.

It looks empty. It's not even necesrily two layers. I just figure it must be, and maybe it's rounded at the front and rear edges.
micky pretended :

What I meant was to fetch water *for* the horse when scouting ahead. A horses neck might not be long enough to reach low water, and if your horse dies - so do you.
I'm just guessing mind you, with more information I can ask a professional horse person just exactly what is pictured there.
For long you live and high you fly
On 8/11/2015 10:27 AM, FromTheRafters wrote:

Poncho!!

yep.
On Tuesday, August 11, 2015 at 9:53:57 AM UTC-5, Chuck wrote:

Rain gear was covered, but thanks! ( ͡° ʖ̯ ͡° )
Chuck formulated on Tuesday :

No name calling!
But seriously, I still haven't seen the picture unless Retired provided the right one.
For long you live and high you fly
On 8/11/15 7:50 AM, FromTheRafters wrote:

Does this picture look like it ?
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/images/reviews/190/1199759977_1.jpg
Found at:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/31942/rawhide-the-second-season-vol-2/
On Tuesday, August 11, 2015 at 9:04:07 AM UTC-5, Retired wrote:

Might be rain gear or a mackinaw?
On 8/11/2015 9:08 AM, bob_villa wrote:

Looks like a folded duster to me.
In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 11 Aug 2015 10:04:02 -0400, Retired

Yeah, that's it, just behind the rider.

Up all night. I'll read the text after I take a nap. Does the text say what it is? What do you think it is. What do others think now that there's a picture?
Poncho is reaonsable and several were wearing ponchos in the rain in the episode I watched yesterday, but earlier in what I think was the same episode, I could see 8 horses at once and only one had this thing.
micky pretended :

My expert took one look and told me it is a bedroll folded up inside a "duster" which is waxed canvas rain gear like a poncho except that it has a long slit up the back when worn so that the flaps can cover the rider's legs.
For long you live and high you fly
In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 11 Aug 2015 11:28:53 -0400, FromTheRafters

Ah, very good. I'm glad I posted. I figured to talk to your expert, you'd have to ride over to the next ranch, take you at least 30 minutes. Well I'm not far off, it's been 25 minutes. It seems shorter. I must have been doing something interesting.
BTW, Rawhide is a good show. The plots are not simple, and I can never figure out what will happen before it does. I guess it wasn't a kid's show, since it was on in prime time. Some of the kid's shows still strike me as good too.
I"m going to read the webpage after my nap.
FWIW, I have absolutely no desire to buy DVDs of any of the tv I like. I'm happy when they show it on tv, and I'm good for another 20 years at that point. Who knows if DVD's will even work then, but I figure they'll show my favorite shows on TV again in 20 years
micky was thinking very hard :

My expert is my sister just across the hallway from me. She knew exactly what it was, and knew it had a specific name, but couldn't recall it. She went online with her laptop to a place where she knew they were sold (a tack shop near here) to jar her memory.
For long you live and high you fly
On Tuesday, August 11, 2015 at 11:02:33 AM UTC-5, FromTheRafters wrote:

...jarred memory: http://www.overclock.net/image/id/8620768
bob_villa brought next idea :

Nice!
For long you live and high you fly
On 8/11/15 12:26 PM, bob_villa wrote:

Now I remember. I used to wonder about those things in the jar on Gil Favor's horse. I thought they were for the cowboys to comb their horses. Whoever would have thought they were tacks!
In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 11 Aug 2015 12:02:24 -0400, FromTheRafters

So you don't live on a cattle ranch?
Neither of you?
Does she look like Dale Evans?

Very good. Tell her Thanks, from me.