OT: Flex fuel vs regular

The US is NOT a net exporter of "oil". We *might* be exporting *some* refined products but certainly not "net exporter" in terms of oil production. And we won't be for a long long time although there is a good chance we may be able to get our import needs from Canada and tell the Saudi's to shove it up their behind.
Government motors. Health care. Banks. Environmental regulations.
Polly want a tax break, and a job! Polly want....
On 9/4/2013 6:58 PM, Ashton Crusher wrote:

On 9/4/13 10:45 AM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:

I must be missing something obvious. Your statement of U.S. supply exceeding demand doesn't seem to match this: http://tinyurl.com/6nwd35k The link cites info from a couple years ago so things might've changed some.
On Wednesday, September 4, 2013 9:13:49 PM UTC-4, Dean Hoffman wrote:

I agree. While production is way up, we're still a large net importer of oil. The most amazing thing I've heard is a forecast that by 2020 the USA will be the largest oil producer in the world.
On Sat, 7 Sep 2013 06:51:32 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

If Obama would get his boot off the neck of the oil and gas industry, it could easily be the way out of the fiscal mess we're in. The lefties would have a lot more money to play God with, but they're not smart enough to see it.
On 9/7/2013 6:51 AM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

That's possible. First, oil production has increased during the Obama administration, though not dramatically so. Wildly granting drilling permits in wildlife refuges is obviously not going to happen under a Democratic administration. The big increases are now coming from hydraulic fracking. So we'll soon be importing water, not oil. Also, the existing wells in Alaska are not being operated at anywhere close to capacity since there is no upside, either economically or politically, in doing so.
The bigger issue is refining capacity. At least in the west, oil companies have been closing refineries in order to limit supply and boost prices. They won't simply sell a "surplus" refinery to another operator because that would not have the effect of limiting supply. Of course the oil companies are not the only industry that does this sort of thing. In my city, when Whole Foods build a new store across the street from their old store, but put a deed restriction in the sale of the old store that it could not house a supermarket.
The other reason we'll become a net exporter is because of increased fuel economy of new cars. The Obama administrations new fuel economy standards, even if they end up being slightly relaxed, are going to be the biggest contributor. Even though the more fuel efficient vehicles will cost more, the extra cost will be far more than recovered through lower spending on fuel.
http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/watercooler/2012/oct/16/picket-flashback-oil-drilling-permits-down-36-perc/
Governor Romney shot back, saying: “Oil production is is down 14 percent this year on federal land, and gas production was down 9 percent. Why? Because the president cut in half the number of licenses and permits for drilling on federal lands, and in federal waters.”
Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/watercooler/2012/oct/16/picket-flashback-oil-drilling-permits-down-36-perc/#ixzz2ePzkPvTR Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter
On 9/9/2013 1:15 PM, sms wrote:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/watercooler/2012/oct/16/picket-flashback-oil-drilling-permits-down-36-perc/
The Wall Street Journal recently reported that Obama’s Interior Department just banned drilling on 11.5 million acres of petroleum reserve:
President Obama is campaigning as a champion of the oil and gas boom he’s had nothing to do with, and even as his regulators try to stifle it. The latest example is the Interior Department’s little-noticed August decision to close off from drilling nearly half of the 23.5 million acre National Petroleum Reserve in Alaska.