OT: Flex fuel vs regular

Page 4 of 6
On Monday, September 2, 2013 3:29:18 PM UTC-6, Ashton Crusher wrote:

And there are NO subsidies for the oil industry? Where have you been living?
On Monday, September 2, 2013 9:25:54 PM UTC-4, Roy wrote:

It's largely a lie that the govt subsidizes the oil industry. They pay taxes just like any other corporation. What is claimed as subsidies, for the most part, are these oil companies using tax laws that are available to all US companies.
Ethanol on the other hand receives something like a $1 per gallon subsidy, without which the product. would be totally unviable. It's comparing apples to oranges.
Also the oil industry hasn't driven up the price of grains so that it's caused a large increase in food costs. That is like another tax on the American people, indeed even on the starving people in Africa.
So, every time I drive my car, I'm starving the kids in Africa? I feel so awful, now.
On 9/3/2013 9:34 AM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

On 9/3/2013 9:34 AM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Imported ethanol from countries like Brazil would be cheaper so the government conveniently put on something like a 50 cent a gallon import tax.
On Tuesday, September 3, 2013 6:20:53 PM UTC-4, Frank wrote:

Exactly. And that is the kind of massive subsidy that are different between what's going on with alternative fuels and the oil and gas industries. The "subsidies" the loons allege are being given to the oil companies are pretty much similar to the tax deductions any other companies, including the alternative fuel producers get. It's that to make alternative fuels viable at all, they have to be given special subsidies that have a large impact on the price at the pump, without which those fuels would be unviable. The loons also use the tactic of lumping every tax break, no matter how remotely connected to oil and gas together, and then adding it all up for what is a huge industry. Then they use that number as a shock value.
On 9/4/2013 12:45 PM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

They can't let the facts get in the way of their notion of saving the environment. Talking to my granddaughter, I'm disturbed with these types teaching our kids.
<...snipped...>

<...snipped...> The 85 in "E85" refers to 85% ETHANOL, not 85% gasoline.

Larry W. - Baltimore Maryland - lwasserm(a)sdf. lonestar.org
On Mon, 2 Sep 2013 20:39:31 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@sdf.lonestar.org (Larry W) wrote:

You're right but you snipped too closely.

Bear in mind, if you are not living in a "corn" state, you probably will never see E-85
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Indiana is most certainly a corn state (grin)
Must be New York is corn state also? We have E-85 at some stations. I'd burn it if I was on evac- uation from hurricane, for example, and no other fuel was to be had. Not for any other reason.
On 9/2/2013 10:56 AM, Kurt Ullman wrote:

On Mon, 02 Sep 2013 10:45:56 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

That's not entirely true. You see E85 in Arizona at the pumps that fuel state vehicles because it's MANDATED. State gvt WASTES the taxpayers money mandating stupidity that includes using E85 and CNG and Propane for state vehicles. They pay MORE for the vehicles, pay MORE to maintain them, and get worse gas mileage so they use MORE fuel, all so the politicians can feel good about themselves.
On 9/2/2013 4:31 PM, Ashton Crusher wrote:

It's the "Junk Science" politicians use to show the citizenry that they're doing something. Since they can't fix the real problems, they use Junk Science to fabricate problems then throw a ton of taxpayer money at to make the taxpayers believe they're saving the country. I'd rather the politicians didn't do anything. O_o
TDD
On 9/2/2013 4:31 PM, Ashton Crusher wrote:

Yeah, and the Iowa Republican Party has a plank supporting ethanol-blended fuel in their platform. It's hugely profitable for agribusiness, so of course they support it. It sucks for everyone else.

I can't recall the exact quote but there's a quote along the lines of "Tell me how a man earns his living and I'll tell you his political party."
I plays out daily -- Reps in OHIO support the massive gvt welfare their constituents get. The Welfare recipients all support the democrats.

I thought you said "earns his living".
On Wed, 04 Sep 2013 20:39:53 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

Lying on applications is how they earn their living.

For very small values of "earn".
On 09-02-2013 10:45, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I am living in a corn & soybeans state, and I am only aware of two stations in my county that have E85.
--
Wes Groleau

You're all individuals!

I figure e85 would have to be $.70 cheaper to break even on fuel cost on my truck.
Greg