OT: Flashlight - easy to find in the dark?

A number of years ago, I acquired an household flashlight has a small pulsing light in it. The little red light flashed about every 5 seconds, to make it easy to find in the dark, which of course is when I need to find it. This one says Energizer "Find Me".

I've looked off and on for more of these, because I'd like to have a few scattered around the house, but haven't seen any. Anyone know where to find any at a reasonable price? These take D batteries, and I'd like to find one that takes smaller batteries and is LED maybe. I lucked out with this mid-Atlantic power outage (only out one day) but it got me to thinking I should get some more flashlights.

Reply to
Lee B

That's 'old school' -- Here's the new way-- Plug it in and when the power goes out it lights the room-

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Interesting. I'll bookmark that one. The one thing I like about the "find me" is that I can leave one on the bedside table, one on the kitchen counter etc and they are at eye level. The one drawback for with the plug in one is that it plugs in, LOL. This is a 1950's house with not too many outlets (and I've added several since I moved in for my multiple tvs etc). Hmm, there is one central hall outlet though where that would be handy. At least if I could find one flashlight, I can then find the others. I'll definitely keep this type in mind! Thanks.

Reply to
Lee B

Check with someone who works for an airline, they have those flashing flashlight finders on flashlights on airliners, I know because I have seen them flashing.

Reply to
hrhofmann

There's one big drawback of that device:

When it's plugged into a receptacle, it knows when the power is on, so it stays off. It also knows when the power goes off, so it turns on.

Once you unplug it, it won't know whether there is power at the receptacle or not and may not perform properly. Perhaps you should keep an extension cord nearby.

;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

They have a switch to go from automatic to manual !!!!!!

Reply to
hrhofmann

whoosh!!!! :)

Reply to
dpb

Thanks, dpb!

Reply to
DerbyDad03

There are even better lights. Just as emergency lights come on in the commercial buildings, there are plug in flashlight, emergency lights that come on when power goes out.

I bought a similar light at Tractor Supply for about $15.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Probably not cheap.

The other alternative is a glow in the dark flashlight. Supposedly they glow for eight hours after being exposed to light.

Reply to
sms88

I had some glow in the dark tape. Ive marked flashlights and other saftey board equipment with it. Works well especially when the room has flourescent lighting.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

While this would be a good idea if it contained a solar cell to recharge it, having it flash will just kill the batteries over time. Thus, when you really need it, it will be dim or dead.

Here's a better solution. Get a 1.5 or 2 inch pipe strap, made for electrical conduit. Screw this clamp on the wall in a place that is easy to get to, such as near your front door. Hang the flashlight in this strap, and always put it back there when you finish using it. PROBLEM SOLVED!!!! Put these in your house, garage, and anywhere else you want an emergency flashlight.

You can buy those inexpensive straps in steel or gray plastic. You cna paint them to match the wall if desired. If flashlight falls thru the strap, put a screw or block of wood under the strap a few inches lower.....

Reply to
fred.flintstone