OT - flashlight close out on Amazon

Page 1 of 3
This just in from a friend: http://goo.gl/27wqZE
Remember that $4.00 flashlight I bought just to see how good/bad a $4.00 flashlight would be? It's the Cree Q5 I got from Amazon:
Well, it turned out to be one amazing little flashlight. So amazing I bought one for my wife to carry in her equipment bag. Of course, the red one is hers because she always wants red, and I got the black one. It's a zoom, going from wide at the closed end to focus at the zoom end. Just thought I'd tell you this in case someone needs a recommendation for a small flashlight. More to choose from at Amazon:
(Doggone shame I'm out of money.... )
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 01/08/2014 02:18 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Yep. I got my wife one similar to that in red.
I picked up a few even cheaper ones for myself but the switches on them are pretty crummy.
On 1/8/2014 3:25 PM, philo wrote:

The free ones from Harbor Freight are OK for free. They need grease on the threads for the tail cap. The machining is very coarse.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

I have had a number of HF flashlights go bad.
Sometimes it's the switch that outright fails.
Sometimes I think it's the switch but it's hard to tell. What the flashlight does is come on at about half brightness. Sometimes If you bang it, it comes on full, sometimes you have to turn it on and off a few times. Sometimes I just throw them out.
On 1/8/2014 8:01 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I was born in the shadow of the Great Depression. I'm a pack rat, and I save things like that. Mix and match parts, make one that works.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Been there, tried that. They still go bad.
I'm not putting them down to any great extend. Free is good. If the fail, they fail. No big deal.
On 1/9/2014 3:03 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

It's like George Burns, interviewed some years back. He was telling about his latest twenty something girl friend. The guy asked if George was worried about heart attacks?
"Naah, if she dies, she dies."
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 1/8/2014 3:18 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Thanks for the tip. I just ordered two of the red on/off/strobe focusable lights to have around. Not that I have a shortage of LED flashlights (five or six I believe) but, given the crappy third-world power distribution system in my area, there is no such thing as too many.

Harbor Freight coupons in most magazines and handouts: free 3 1/2 inch led flashlights. They work great!
On 1/8/2014 5:42 PM, shellyf_DELETE snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

> and handouts: free 3 1/2 inch

Yes, the free ones are actually a good value. They come with carbon zinc cells, but they work fine on good quality alkalines.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Wednesday, January 8, 2014 5:47:30 PM UTC-6, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Wow!
On 1/8/2014 6:54 PM, Bob_Villa wrote:

What is the sound of dividing by zero? http://ctct.wpengine.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/boy-surprised-face.jpg?w00 I don't know, either.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

I don't know what it sounds like, but in Excel it looks like this:
#DIV/0!
On 1/8/2014 5:42 PM, shellyf_DELETE snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

I've had maybe four or five of HF's free or cheap little LED lights. I think that one of them is still workable -- switches failed in all of the rest, sometimes within hours. When you are lucky, you get what you paid for -- the rest of the time you get HF flashlights.
On 1/8/2014 7:26 PM, BenignBodger wrote:

That's a real shame. I've got a bunch of the free lights, and have had a couple go bad. The blue ones had run of bad glue, the LED module would come out the end, pushed by the tail cap spring.
The tail cap threads tend to be very rough, I pull them out of the package and put grease on the threads before I do any thing else.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

If you all are talking about the same free ones I've gotten from HF my experience is they are almost worthless. The switches fail on virtually every one of them and they are hardly bright enough for anything useful.
Pro- it's free Con - everything else
On 1/9/2014 10:51 AM, Ashton Crusher wrote:

Retail 6.99 and comes with 90 day warranty. http://www.harborfreight.com/3-12-9-led-mini-flashlight-69052.html The HF near me is really excellent about exchanges. I took back some leaky batteries, one time. Whole pack of 24 aa cells all leaked. Swap em out, no hassle.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 1/9/2014 10:09 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Harbor Freight, the new old time Sears hardware department. ^_^
TDD

my

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-12-9-led-mini-flashlight-69052.html

HF is a fun place to look. I probably would not buy a car jack or a pacemaker there. Once I did buy a very nice metal toolbox with hinged fold-out trays. All I had to do was drill out the handle rivets, replace them with screws & nuts and reinforce the lid with a steel plate on the inside. Oh, and remember not to carry it around without a lock or U-bolt in the latch to keep the lid from popping open and dumpoing all the tools out. Other than that, it's first class!
Here's a similar one.... girl not included.... www.creativedesigntalent.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/girl_holding-a-wr ench-21329537.jpg

How do you know that's a girl? Other than the text in the URL there's no way to tell.
Oh wait, they can't put anything on the internet if it isn't true. Bonjour!