(OT) False advertising . . . . . .

I just bought a 16gb Sandisk flash drive, but it's really 14.5gb. I reformatted it, and 14.5 is all it will do.
That's False advertising . . . . . .
On Sun, 20 Mar 2016 16:51:20 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

Nope - it's the same as hard drives. The advertised capacity is the "raw" or unformatted capacity - the "overhead" required for the MBR and other "indexing" etc eats up the rest.
On Sun, 20 Mar 2016 18:33:06 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

That's a fairly large amount of "overhead". If it was 15.5gb, I'd be more understanding....
On Sun, 20 Mar 2016 17:58:44 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

Don't lie to us. You're not happy if you're not bitching about something.
Gordon Shumway wrote:

There, i fixed it fer ya
On 3/20/2016 6:32 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:

We all have the right to bitch!<g>
I bitch about people who complain about flash drives (and hard drives) that don't have the advertised capacity AND are too stupid to read the disclaimer on those same drives explaining the difference between raw disk space and formatted space!
Some folks even call them "smart drives" when any idiot can buy one and complain!

What's industry standard for such things?

On 3/20/2016 5:51 PM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

It's no different than you advertising you have common sense but we all know it's not true.
Meanie wrote:

+10 on that one
On Sun, 20 Mar 2016 16:51:20 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

You got lucky. I made the mistake of getting a 32g stick from Ebay that only verified 8 ... with errors.

No, it's not. You simply don't grok the difference between calculating the space in base 10 (which the manufacturer does) and base 2 (which your operating system reports). Both figures are correct.

While both are correct, you come up short if you convert from one base to the other and actually count how much you have. Makes it look good in the ads.

Yep, that's why the manufacturers report capacity in base 10. :)
The actual byte count is the same if you write it out longhand, it's just a matter of whether a kilobyte is counted as 1000 or 1024 bytes. (And of course extending the concept to megabytes, gigabytes, terabytes...)
On Sunday, March 20, 2016 at 5:51:31 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

Boy, you sure have a lot of problems. I bet you have the same problem with a hard drive.