OT Fake news sites

I can usually spot a fake article but often find myself checking first, just to be sure. Occasional something absurd turns out to be true and once in a while I've actually been suckered by something that seems legit.

My question : What the hell do the idiots who write that garbage get out of it?

Some are just brief stories, but with others, it's obvious they have but a lot of time and effort into it and even create videos.

Reply to
philo

Aside from propaganda, disinformation, political manipulation advantages, and having your candidate win an election, there are also financial incentives. Read this:

Stormin' Norman

Thanks. So I see they can make money , how pathetic.

Reply to
philo

No I was not specifically talking political.

It was the one about eagle pulling out it's feathers and breaking it's beak off etc. Obvious bullshit

Reply to
philo

World War 1 was started by a US news paper by giving false news. They sold lots of papers.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

WWI was started by US newspapers? I hadn't heard that theory before, do you have a citation?

Reply to
Stormin' Norman

I have heard it said that the owner of a US news paper told some of his reportors to go to Europe and report. They told him there was no war. He responded by saying solething along the line he was going to start one.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Wrong war. Wrong hemisphere.

rbowman

Exactly! It was the Spanish American war. WWI was just European feuds, interlocking alliances, desires for land and the same old imperialism that kept Europeans at each other's throats since the fall of Rome. WWII was just continuing the unsettled problems from WWI and it could easily be said the problems in the middle east we have now are issues left unresolved when the Europeans arbitrarily chopped up the Ottoman Empire at the end of WWI. They drew borders in a very helter skelter way without paying much attention to who actually lived there. It is easy to say Israel is the last European conquest.

Reply to
gfretwell

If you ever come across a reference or any documentation on the theory, I would enjoy reading it.

Reply to
Stormin' Norman

The trigger for the war was the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria, heir to the throne of Austria-Hungary, by Yugoslav nationalist Gavrilo Princip in Sarajevo on 28 June 1914. This set off a diplomatic crisis when Austria-Hungary delivered an ultimatum to the Kingdom of Serbia, and entangled international alliances formed over the previous decades were invoked. Within weeks, the major powers were at war and the conflict soon spread around the world.

In the late 1890s, US public opinion was agitated by anti-Spanish propaganda led by journalists such as Joseph Pulitzer and William Randolph Hearst which used yellow journalism to call for war. However, the Hearst and Pulitzer papers were circulated among the working class in New York City and did not reach a national audience. Historians of the 1930s blamed them for stirring up a war frenzy, but more recent scholars have not accepted that theory.

U.S. Diplomacy and Yellow Journalism, 1895?1898

Yellow journalism was a style of newspaper reporting that emphasized sensationalism over facts. During its heyday in the late 19th century it was one of many factors that helped push the United States and Spain into war in Cuba and the Philippines, leading to the acquisition of overseas territory by the United States.

Reply to
Betty

Or as click bait and they get paid based on the number of people who view the site.

Reply to
Charles Bishop

YOu are right, I just remembered parts of it wrong.

There was a lot of manipulation of the 'facts' by other papers for WW1 over in Europe. The papers only printed what the governments wanted them to in many cases.

Ralph Mowery