OT: FACT CHECK: Convention speakers stray from reality

Page 6 of 9

Yeah, kind of where I was headed too. It is an example of what would happen if someone suddenly lost all their money. That is perfectly true. Mortimer and Randolph Duke wound up poor, but I didn't see them turning into bleeding heart liberals or Democrats. What movie did he watch?

I knew (since now they/re dead) tons of people who lost all in WWII, including my parents, grandparents, other relatives and busloads of their friends. They all got back up, worked hard, saved their money, and a great many of them died millionaires. Hell, my grandfather worked days in a hardware store, while going to night school to learn English and Accounting. And this while he was in his 60s He worked right up to the age of 80 as an accountant. And this was a guy who still had pieces of shrapnel from WWI coming out of his body till the day he died.
Tragedy turning a conservative into a liberal is as likely as turning a rock into a flashlight by shining light on it.
If anything else, the conservative would work harder, and curse government, even more.
Conservatives are often just a trajedy away from becoming a liberal, dependant on government handouts.
On 09/01/2012 04:08 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

People are poor because they are lazy.
Show me an unemployed person and I'll show you a lazy person.

I was unemployed for 3 months once. It was a lazy time. I did the child care and housework, and wrote the job applications and went on an interview, finally. Then I found new housing. My spouse worked to keep us afloat. No unemployment. Yes, I was lazy.
--
Best regards
Han

I've been out of work twice now. Once in 2006-7 for nine months. After three months with (and recovering from) AF, I got our house in shape to sell. Yeah, I was lazy for a while then worked harder than I had for years. ;-) After I was done with the house I got bored so found a job (took less than three weeks). No UI.
The second time was a year ago. I was out of work for three months. I did a brick patio and some small things around the house but all in all it was a pretty lazy time. ;-) I did take UI for eight weeks.
My wife will quit her job in a month so we live together (all week) again. She hasn't decided if she's going to apply for UI, or not.
On Sun, 02 Sep 2012 18:12:33 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

In most states you don't have to decide. You quite, no benefits.
OTOH, used to be some companies would lay you off under the circumstances just so you could collect.

Not true. It depends on the circumstances.

Sometimes but they'll get charged for it.
On Mon, 03 Sep 2012 12:10:35 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Very limited circumstances. Not if you quit because you don't wish to work any more.
I've gone to many unemployment hearings in two different states No one that has ever quit from the company ever got benefits. Nor has anyone that was fired since it is always with cause and proven.

They're not so limited. Of course you have to seek employment (definition varies by state).

Utter nonsense.
On Mon, 03 Sep 2012 15:45:37 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Really? I've gone to a dozen or so hearings when we let people go for cause. Not once has anyone been able to collect since we followed the rules. It is really not difficult at all. Step one is to have a printed manual and work rules. One guy appealed two steps and even took us to civil court and lost. Can't imagine what the lawyer cost him.

Really.
"No one that has ever quit from the company ever got benefits."
False.
"Nor has anyone that was fired since it is always with cause and proven."
Also false.
Perhaps in your little world...

Your anecdotes are irrelevant.
On Mon, 03 Sep 2012 23:46:47 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Well WTF do you think I was talking about? It applies to the two companies that I've worked for over many years. If someone is fired for cause, they cannot collect. Maybe you live in some other world with different rules.

"No one that has ever quit from the company ever got benefits."
and
"Nor has anyone that was fired since it is always with cause and proven."
Are *not* statements limited to personal experience. They are rather generalized to the entire universe. All of the personal experience in the world can't justify these statements. OTOH, it only takes one counterexample to call them a lie.

Perhaps you've never heard of "at will" employment. It seems your experience is quite limited.

Keith, it was clear from the context of the thread that Ed's statements were from his experince in or around CT. At least to me.
--
Best regards
Han

"THE" refers to one company. Sorry about your reading comprehension.

It's amazing that you believed that your very limited experience had any relevance to the rest of the world around you.
On Wed, 05 Sep 2012 19:32:10 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

The laws that apply to my company apply to everyone in the states that I'm familiar with. Probably others.

You are clearly clueless about the matter. It is quite possible to receive UI insurance after being fired or even quitting. In fact, it's not rare at all. It simply depends on the facts behind the separation.
On Sep 5, 10:51pm, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

It may not be rare, but it's not the typical or common case. If you just get pissed off or don't like your job and quit, absent coming up with some bogus story, you don't get unemployment. And once the story is vetted, very likely you're not getting it anyway. Most people who quit or are fired don't do so after a period of documented sexual harrassment or labor law violation. They quit because they don't like the job. Or the boss fires them with documented evidence of them not showing up for work, being repeatedly warned, etc.