OT: FACT CHECK: Convention speakers stray from reality

Page 5 of 9
On Aug 30, 6:59 pm, "Stormin Mormon"

I think there is a lot of truth to that. I think it's like a left brain versus right brain thing. Like some people are good at art, visual things, others are not, but are good with numbers, etc.
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 18:08:47 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 10:08:55 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@bubba.com wrote:

I think that anyone who can generalize so freely, no matter their party affiliation, only has one or 2 synapses still firing.
If you don't recognize that 5%-10% of each party is completely bonkers and makes 90% of the noise then there is no hope for you.
BTW- speaking of party affiliation-- I saw James Carville & Mary Matlin appear in an ad together, promoting a new party that I can wrap my head around. It is called "The Cocktail Party" and appears to be backed by Maker's Mark. Not my favorite bourbon--- but I'm buying a bottle just to tell them they done good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUryve-KCnk&feature
¿a&list=ULgyap9NWhvJI Jim
Add pictures here
✖
Cons do things like "contract with America" and list the steps they will take. Libs do things like TV ads showing people throwing granny off the cliff in a wheel chair.
Any questions?

✖

Question 1: Is the contract with America a good thing? Question 2: Is it a good thing when Norquist silences dissent using PAC money?
Clarification: Setting forth a list of aims for a political party is a certifiable good thing. Making it like the 10 Commandments with instant elimination for those who do not sign on the dotted line reeks of totalitarianism.
If throwing granny off the cliff refers to "death panels", that is a bona fide myth. Giving someone all the facts and letting them make up their own mind is something else.
--
Best regards
Han

Actually it isn't. What is a bona fide myth is that it is anything new. There have pretty much ALWAYS been a group of people that has decided what would and would not be covered. Heck Oregon's MCaid for years has been really up front about rationing their care. For example if you have cancer and your five year survival rate possiblity isn't above a certain %age, you don't get a second round of treatment (Anytime an Oregonian health writer gets bored he or she will find someone who MCaid turned down and the pharm company came to the rescue). This isn't just Mcaid, but all programs public and private. If you are talking the other "TGOTC" scenario, we have been encouraged to talk about end of life decisions with patients from at least the early 90s.
✖

If I understand what you mean, that end of life decisions should be written down beforehand, then of course I agree.
--
Best regards
Han

It has been law for a long time that, upon admission, patients have to be given information on durable power of attorney for health care and on other similar things. Not many actually take advantage, but that is another thread altogether.
✖

You're right. Not sure how long that has been the case, and whether it was state or US requirement. My experience with that has been mixed, but then, I have made sure that things were in order before going to hospital, and I keep it up to date. I also started to make a croak book, detailing for my spouse where and how documents are and how to do finances. She used to do this decades ago but has voluntarily relinquished it. Now things are about 100 times more complicated and electronified.
--
Best regards
Han

Certainly. It tells the people exactly what they will do if elected. The people saw it as a good thing.

What? You're smokin' weed again, Han.

The CWA was not a list of aims, Han. It was a list of things they would do and they did. After that they lost their way, as politicians do.

Bull shit, Han. It's already happening.

Pinoccio Obama is sure giving us the "facts" alright.
Add pictures here
✖

A set of proposed policies is indeed a good thing. Demanding that congresscritters sign it, and making sure they follow the letter by undermining their reelection actively if they deviate a little, smacks of totalitarianism.

60 minutes interview with Norry himself.

It is still Norquists aim to have them toe the line. I'm glad they saw their folly, but am afraid not enough followed.

Ther was another discussion on that. Advance directives are a very old (not old enough) system to make people realize things that might happen.

Ryan's and Romney's lying will be their undoing. Although Clint helped ... Someone asked how much the DNC paid Clint?
--
Best regards
Han

Absolute bullshit. They weren't forced to sign, nor are they forced to follow through, except for the fact that they are making the pledge because THE PEOPLE demand it. Totalitarian, my ass.

Han, you're an ass. "Norry" only has the power the people give him. People *really* want government spending slashed.

And he's going to kill any granny that dissents, right? Han, don't be so stupid.

GMAFB. Death panels. Boards of government bureaucrats who have the power to choose your fate. It's a done deal.

Han, go back to work. Idleness has ruined your brain.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sep 1, 7:47 am, "Stormin Mormon"

The above thread that started this suggests that is not the case. Han just brought up the cost of two wars and the failure to raise taxes as what has caused the current deficits and the pile of debt.
We've been through this a hundred times here. The cost of the two wars for more than an entire decade is about $1.3tril That is equal to the deficit this current year alone, with one war over and the other winding down. We've piled up $5.5 tril in new debt under Obama, it will be up by $6tril, reaching $16tril by the time he leaves office. The deficit in 2007, was down to $160bil and declining year by year. That was with the same tax rates that we have today.
The revenue from taxes into the federal govt today is back to where it was in 2007, ergo, taxes are NOT the problem. In April, the govt took in the most revenue in history. Govt spending was 19% of GDP prior to Obama. Now it's at 25+%, the highest it's ever been since WWII. Spending grew 40% under Obama. Clearly what we have is a SPENDING problem, not a tax problem.
Now, if libs look at the facts, as opposed to operating on emotion, why is it that Han and so many other libs just keep spouting this nonsense when it's contradicted by the facts? Why is it that while you see me posting the actual NUMBERS, like above, the libs almost never do?
Add pictures here
✖

What facts...?!

There's nothing to suggest those are "actual numbers", they're just numbers. -----
-gpsman
Add pictures here
✖

Keep waving your hands pinky It's all you can do
Add pictures here
✖

Yes, it's amazing, but not unusual, isn't it? You give libs the hard numbers that define the deficit and spending and they refuse to even acknowledge them. How do you address the deficit unless you look at the numbers? Now they aren't actual numbers, they're just numbers? WETF? Better to talk about "hope and change", right? Or Romney's time at Bain Capital. But the deficit numbers, why no, that they won't even acknowledge.
And next comes the name calling.
Add pictures here
✖

<http://thegreatrecession.info/blog/deficits-debts-democrats-vs - republicans-us-national-debt-graphs-year-president/>
--
Best regards
Han

I think there is a lot of truth to that. I think it's like a left brain versus right brain thing. Like some people are good at art, visual things, others are not, but are good with numbers, etc.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sat, 1 Sep 2012 07:46:02 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

Conservatives are often just a trajedy away from becoming a liberal, dependant on government handouts.
Ever see the movie "Trading Places"? If not, I highly recommend it. It is a perfect example of what would happen to just about any middle-class person that would lose their wealth.
Add pictures here
✖

But unlike pinkies, most avoid it, by going out and working

Ironically, it's a perfect example of conservative behavior Did the main character stay down in the gutter, or did he work his way back up to the top ?
End of lesson for the pinky.
Add pictures here
✖