OT: "Exit Only" Signs - Suggestion or Law?

The "Exit Only" sign refers to the exit lane, not the one that continues.

Probably.
Add pictures here
✖
On Aug 26, 5:37 pm, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

They are the same lane. http://g.co/maps/pvm3
If you can count to 4, count the lanes before and after the gore point. -----
- gpsman
Add pictures here
✖

Jeez, the sign is after the split (your "Gore point"), on the exit ramp.

Add pictures here
✖
On 08/27/11 9:25 AM, gpsman wrote:

What does this have to do with the situation I am questioning? In my case the lane that is marked as Exit Only continues right on past the exit.
There is no need to exit, go through an intersection and get back on the highway. The 55 MPH speed is maintained just as if it was the right lane at any other point on the highway.
Add pictures here
✖

"<> in all my years of driving I've never seen an ExitOnly sign where an open lane actually continued beyond the Exit <>" http://groups.google.com/group/alt.home.repair/msg/0365296250314883?hl=en&dmode=source
There are few exit only lanes where an open lane does not continue beyond the exit.
I had to conclude you meant where the exit only lane continues beyond the exit and thus is not exit only as signed. -----
- gpsman
Add pictures here
✖

No one cares about your fake question that was only posted to instigate arguments.
Add pictures here
✖

There's one place to get fairly straight answers. Call the State Police/State Trooper barracks that covers that area. They're the ones most likely to ticket you so I'd say they are more or less the authority having jurisdiction. (-: Mine's right on the way home so I sometimes drop in to discuss matters like this. In the DC area on 270 there are feeder lanes meant for exit/entrance only but it's clear from watching that many people use them as another set of thru lanes.
There's a similar exit on the Beltway near my house (a long "exit only") two-lane ramp that feeds back onto the highway. In the mornings, when the main lanes clog up, those two feeder lanes are quick to follow which tells me that people use them to bypass the clogged main lanes until they, too, get clogged. Never seen anyone get written up for that although they are constantly writing tickets for people who go further and make the breakdown lane into a traveled lane.
-- Bobby G.
Add pictures here
✖
<stuff snipped>

I wouldn't do it because cops generally have a low estimate of people who "self help" no matter what the provocation. And because I wouldn't want to get a flat from all the crap that piles up just off the traveled portion of the roadway. (-:
-- Bobby G.
Add pictures here
✖
On 9/25/2011 10:46 PM, SMS wrote:

And that's the basis for the joke: What do you have when you've got four Minnesota drivers at a four-way stop? Answer: A picnic.
Drives me nuts, how common it is here for people with the right of way to stop and gesture to cars waiting to to enter traffic to come on in. They think they're being nice, but they're backing up traffic behind them and increasing the risk of an accident.
Add pictures here
✖

"The first thing we must recognize is that crashes are not accidents." -Ricardo Martinez, M.D., National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Administrator, 1997 -----
- gpsman
Add pictures here
✖

No, to be enforceable, the lane must be marked as prohibited for use (the white diagonal lines) on the pavement... The sign alone without the pavement markings being properly marked and maintained is meaningless in court...
Same logic applies to the "left/right turn only" lanes... A sign alone is not enough to cite a motorist for a marked lanes violation as the lane is not "marked" without the painted arrow marking in the lane...
For traffic enforcement to be valid and legally upheld upon challenge in court, the sign must be in good condition and properly displayed and the pavement markings must agree with and be consistent with the signage and also be in good condition...
I have seen people get "failure to obey" citations for stop sign violations overturned in traffic court because a stop line was not properly maintained at the intersections they were cited at -- as long as you stop where you can still see the sign, you have obeyed it, even if you have gone beyond where you were supposed to have stopped -- without the line painted to tell you explicitly where you are supposed to stop you can't be cited unless you enter the intersection beyond the location of the sign...
~~ Evan
Add pictures here
✖