OT: "Exit Only" Signs - Suggestion or Law?

I believe that's generally true but this is the Usenet and someone will want to climb all over it. ;-)

Sounds like it.

Usually the lane disappears up the exit ramp and then reappears on the other side with the entrance ramp. Repeat for next exit.

Reply to
krw

Huh? The lane does disappear. It's not also the entrance ramp.

Reply to
krw

It ends well beyond the gore point. Thus, the lane is not "exit only".

I'll be damned... -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

The "Exit Only" sign refers to the exit lane, not the one that continues.

Probably.

Reply to
krw

They are the same lane. http://g.co/maps/pvm3 If you can count to 4, count the lanes before and after the gore point. -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

Jeez, the sign is after the split (your "Gore point"), on the exit ramp.

Reply to
krw

What does this have to do with the situation I am questioning? In my case the lane that is marked as Exit Only continues right on past the exit.

There is no need to exit, go through an intersection and get back on the highway. The 55 MPH speed is maintained just as if it was the right lane at any other point on the highway.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

" in all my years of driving I've never seen an Exit Only sign where an open lane actually continued beyond the Exit "

There are few exit only lanes where an open lane does not continue beyond the exit.

I had to conclude you meant where the exit only lane continues beyond the exit and thus is not exit only as signed. -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

DerbyDad03 wrote in news:j3b0eo$ait$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

No one cares about your fake question that was only posted to instigate arguments.

Reply to
Earl

And that's the basis for the joke: What do you have when you've got four Minnesota drivers at a four-way stop? Answer: A picnic.

Drives me nuts, how common it is here for people with the right of way to stop and gesture to cars waiting to to enter traffic to come on in. They think they're being nice, but they're backing up traffic behind them and increasing the risk of an accident.

Reply to
Hell Toupee

"The first thing we must recognize is that crashes are not accidents." -Ricardo Martinez, M.D., National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Administrator, 1997 -----

- gpsman