OT: "Exit Only" Signs - Suggestion or Law?

Page 1 of 2
I'm going to call the project office for a reconstruction project near my house when I get a chance, but just for fun I thought I'd toss this out for opinions...
If there is a sign over a highway lane that says "Exit Only", when in fact the lane continues beyond the Exit, can a driver legally drive in that lane without exiting?
Here's the full story:
Last year, when they repaved the last few miles of a 2 lane highway near my house, they decided to reduce it to 1 lane by painting white diagonal stripes in the right lane just beyond the last "real" exit (Exit 10). Beyond Exit 10, there are a few signaled intersections over a 2 mile stretch before the highway ends.
They also hung Exit Only signs on the 2 signs for Exit 10 so through-traffic had to move into the left lane before Exit 10 to avoid driving in the now-closed right lane.
For reasons too numerous to detail in this post, they repaved the road this summer, removing the white stripes and opening up the right hand lane again. Suffice it to say that there were many complaints submitted to the highway department and to the town about the new traffic pattern and the closing of the right lane.
However, even though they opened the right lane, they left the Exit Only signs on the signs for Exit 10. Those of us who live in the area know that the lane isn't really the typical Exit Only lane where drivers actually end up on the exit ramp. We know that the lane continues north for a few more miles.
So, back to my question:
If drivers ignore the Exit Only sign and continue driving in the (now open) right lane, can they be ticketed for doing that? Is an Exit Only sign something that has to be obeyed, like a stop sign, or is it just an "informational" sign as a warning to drivers?
I have to admit that in all my years of driving I've never seen an Exit Only sign where an open lane actually continued beyond the Exit so I think we're in uncharted territory here.
Add pictures here
✖
On 8/23/2011 9:43 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Pretty common in older areas like Indianapolis, or here, where they overlaid interstates and feeder roads over existing surface roads. Not sure what the law is, and it probably varies by state, but I think it is mainly informational, so people can't say they were surprised if somebody cuts in front of them to make their exit. Or to put in in other terms- if you have a cluster of exits, traffic on the big road moves smoother if people getting off at any of those exits hug right lane, and through traffic sticks to left lane(s). Locals usually catch on quick, it is the visitors that get confused.
--
aem sends...

Add pictures here
✖

That's probably similar to left/right turn only lanee; even if the lane continues. I've seen them pulled over on what I'd guess as NOT obeying the sign.
Add pictures here
✖
On Aug 24, 8:02 am, "Stormin Mormon"

I'm with you. Correct signage for 'ya gotta exit from this lane is' "Right (or left) lane must exit".
Harry K
Add pictures here
✖
On Aug 24, 8:02 am, "Stormin Mormon"

I used to (years ago) think the same thing but I investigated it......not true. The "Exit Only" is supposed to mean "Stay in this lane & you'll get funneled off the highway"
Add pictures here
✖

That's the "All traffic must exit" (or similar wording) sign and it will be white, not yellow.
Harry K
Add pictures here
✖

Not in SoCal....
Add pictures here
✖
On 08/25/11 12:57 AM, DD_BobK wrote:

...or in NY.
Every "Exit Only" sign I've ever seen (up until the one I mentioned in my OP) meant you were going to be funneled off the highway.
Add pictures here
✖
On Aug 24, 11:02 am, "Stormin Mormon"

Wrong answer McFly...
It means the lane ends suddenly at the exit ramp...
Such signs are installed to warn through traffic to move over or exit...
~~ Evan
Add pictures here
✖
On 8/23/2011 9:43 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote: [...]

I have, and more than once. We used to have one here in downtown Indianapolis until just a few years ago; I routinely ignored it when I needed to.
I've seen a few others over the years, too. We used to have one or two more in Indy (on the beltway highway), and I've seen them occasionally in other states. Seems to me there's one on I-270 on the east side of Columbus OH, but I don't remember exactly where.
I wish highway departments wouldn't do that. It impedes traffic flow and increases the risk of an accident when drivers are induced to change lanes needlessly. It also entices drivers to ignore all such markings: "they didn't mean it the last two times, they probably don't mean it here either -- oh CRAP! Yes they do! Gotta change lanes NOW!" obviously adding more risk of accidents.
If I were ticketed for failing to exit from a lane marked "Exit Only" that really wasn't, I'd fight that in court on the grounds that the sign is clearly incorrect.
Add pictures here
✖

These things vary by jurisdiction but generally a yellow sign is informational. These exit-only signs are generally yellow.

Crossing solid lane markers is illegal (white or yellow).

If it's a yellow sign it's informational.

Add pictures here
✖
On 8/23/2011 10:55 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

I agree. Wouldn't think it would be a problem unless it was a wide shoulder, but I'm sure Derby can tell the difference.

In MN crossing a single solid line is cross with extra caution. Crossing a double solid line (including white) is a violation.
Add pictures here
✖

You may be confused about the lines I am describing.
The lines they originally painted to close the lane were painted right across the lane, not along side it.
They were markings to denote "Do not drive in this lane. It's not open".
Add pictures here
✖
On Aug 23, 8:55 pm, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

As a four time (& a 5th online) traffic school re-tread (not lately, in my much younger days)
in California yellow signs are informational / advisory. Black & white (w/ or without red) set limits / restrictions.
Most of the Exit Only signs that I've seen that are "incorrect" have usually become so via lane re-striping. Must be low on the priority list for CalTrans to fix OR they are attempting to funnel people out of the lane for subsequent on- ramp use?
cheers Bob
Add pictures here
✖

I believe that's generally true but this is the Usenet and someone will want to climb all over it. ;-)

Sounds like it.

Usually the lane disappears up the exit ramp and then reappears on the other side with the entrance ramp. Repeat for next exit.
Add pictures here
✖
On Aug 23, 11:55 pm, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

The first "Exit Only" sign is Orange, the 2nd is Yellow.

Add pictures here
✖

Orange, yellow, same deal. The general rule is that white/black is legal, yellow/black is informational.

Add pictures here
✖

Of course. Many "exit only" lanes also serve as entrance ramps.
Here's one example (not a combined entrance/exit ramp) at I-471 & US-27 in Southgate KY.
Street view: http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=39.072295,-84.463824&spn=0.002982,0.008969&t=h&z=17&vpsrc=6&layer=c&cbll=39.072374,-84.463887&panoid=K71Ztakv57QezcL9UP_chw&cbp=12,166.98,,0,3.08 -----
- gpsman
Add pictures here
✖

Huh? The lane does disappear. It's not also the entrance ramp.
Add pictures here
✖
On Aug 25, 9:40 pm, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

It ends well beyond the gore point. Thus, the lane is not "exit only". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gore_%28road%29