OT - ETQ Generator starting concerns

In 2006, I bought a 1200 watt ETQ brand generator. Two stroke, gas mixer. Problem is, it only cold starts if I take off the air filter and spray in some ether. After it's started, I can restart it minute later, and it starts on one pull.

Recently, I ran it dry, drained it, and put in 91 octane pure gas, with the required two stroke oil.

I can't be running it every day to keep it exercised. What's the answer to making it more dependable to start? Put a can of ether in the box with the generator? . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

That's what I have been doing for the 40 years I have had a generator. A can of ether saves a lot of sore arms, and when you need a generator you don't want to waste time trying to start the generator.

Reply to
hrhofmann

That's what I have been doing for the 40 years I have had a generator. A can of ether saves a lot of sore arms, and when you need a generator you don't want to waste time trying to start the generator.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

IT sounds like it's not getting primed properly. I haven't had to screw around with that, at least not yet, because mine are working. But as I understand it, these newer engines use a primer bulb that you push a few times. That squirts a small amount of gas into the carb throat to provide a rich mixture. Assuming it has a bulb, I'd check out if it's doing it job. As I said, I haven't had to do this, but I assume if you push it while looking into the carb, you should see some fuel squirt.

Reply to
trader4

IT sounds like it's not getting primed properly. I haven't had to screw around with that, at least not yet, because mine are working. But as I understand it, these newer engines use a primer bulb that you push a few times. That squirts a small amount of gas into the carb throat to provide a rich mixture. Assuming it has a bulb, I'd check out if it's doing it job. As I said, I haven't had to do this, but I assume if you push it while looking into the carb, you should see some fuel squirt.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I assume you've verified that the choke closes? If it has adjustable needle valves, you could try adjusting the idle one. It should run smooth within a range and given the starting problem, I'd favor setting it toward the richer end and see what happens.

Other thought is that there could be a problem with fuel pump not supplying fuel at low RPMs, but being OK once it gets up to speed. Don't know how they all work, but ones I've seen use a line from the crankcase, a so called impulse line, to work the pump. A small leak in that could prevent the pump from pumping at low RPM.

Reply to
trader4

Problem is, it only cold starts if I take off the air filter and spray in some ether. After it's started, I can restart it minute later, and it start s on one pull. Recently, I ran it dry, drained it, and put in 91 octane pur e gas, with the required two stroke oil. I can't be running it every day to keep it exercised. What's the answer to making it more dependable to start ? Put a can of ether in the box with the generator? . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus

. .

Can of ether, extra bottle of oil, sit on the shelf above my generator. I start it every few months.

Reply to
jamesgang

Today I removed, and cleaned the spark plug. Slight bit of carbon. Wire brush, and some spray degreaser solvent. Manual calls for gap .028 to .030 inches, and this one was under gapped.

I tried a new one, which had much shorter threads. No joy.

Put the cleaned and gapped original plug back in. Started on the very first pull.

Thank you to all who had great ideas, you are much appreciated. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Reply to
Philaberto

rush, and some spray degreaser solvent. Manual calls for gap .028 to .030 i nches, and this one was under gapped.

The shorter threads plug is probably a different heat range and I would always stick with the plug recommended by the mfgr. I might be wrong, but I would think that a shorter threaded length plug would probably run hotter since there is less metal to dissipate the heat into the rest of the engine. But, the path to the rest of the engine would be shorter, so maybe the plug would run cooler. Too many years since I read all about the temperature ranges of plugs.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Temp range has some to do with the length of the porcelean insulator inside the plug, but I can't remember more than that.

Shorter threads means the spark is in the wrong place, and the internal volume of the cylinder is different.

The shorter threads plug is probably a different heat range and I would always stick with the plug recommended by the mfgr. I might be wrong, but I would think that a shorter threaded length plug would probably run hotter since there is less metal to dissipate the heat into the rest of the engine. But, the path to the rest of the engine would be shorter, so maybe the plug would run cooler. Too many years since I read all about the temperature ranges of plugs.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Ether is cheap enough, but it can destroy an engine real fast. I prefer to avoid it unless nothing else works. I've always wondered why they dont sell aerosol gasoline spray. I have wanted to try it in a mist spray bottle but never have yet. I agree with the person who said that the gas evaporates, and has to get to the carb by pulling the cord. That's why ether starts it, but so would a mist of gas, and that would be safer.

It wouldn't hurt to put a small amount of carb cleaner in the gas and let it run awhile to clean out the crud. A tablespoon per gallon is about right for those small engines. I do it yearly or more.

Reply to
generic

Same problem most of us have. From what I've read the gasoline needs to be stored in a tight container and fuel stabilizer added. I use a shot of carb cleaner to start those cranky small engines... it will loosen the gunk on the valve stems on 4 cycle engines though and a valve can stick so go easy with it. Either would be better but the carb cleaner is usually what I have handy. Back to the gasoline... a month without stabilizer in it.. up to a year with it (so they say). I can tell you the 5 year old gasoline in my 2 stroke generator didn't work when the power went out here. The current plan... empty the generator and I think I'll try storing the gasoline in a 5 quart empty plastic oil bottle with some stabilizer and use that for storing gasoline. Maybe it will work when the power goes out. Storing gasoline now days is difficult. The stuff just doesn't store well.

Reply to
Fat-Dumb and Happy

If you look around you can find statiosn that sell gas without the ethanol in it. I have started using it in the small engines and can tell a lot of differance in the way they run. Before my 5 kw generator engine speed would hunt around and not stay stable without a load on it. Now that I have switched, it stays smooth. I also use the Sta-bil in the gas all the time. I have a garden tiller that I used about this time last year and put it in storage. I don't know how much gas was left in it, but put about 1/4 of a tank of gas in it and it started and ran just fine.

I have had to clean out the generator twice in the past for leaving the fuel in it for over a year, but I run it every month and put some fresh gas in it more often.

If you have gas that is not used very often, put it in your car every month or so and buy some more for the samll engines. Only mix the gas with oil as you need it.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Easiest way is to buy your gas at a FBO's (Fixed Base Operator) facility. FBO's service small aircraft. AvGas is 100 Octane with no additives. Almost the same thing is available at a marine docking facility.

Reply to
HeyBub

It might be if the airport was not around 15 miles away. Also looking on the internet the prices are $ 5.65 for 100ll and $ 4.99 for jet A. That is about a dollar or so higher than the service stations and I would have to make a special trip across the county to the airport.

There are several other stations around that has the gas with out ethenol in it that are within a couple of miles from the house.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

A couple questions.

Will TSA agents let me through security with an empty gas can?

If I use avgas in my lawn mower will I have to mow with my flaps down?

Reply to
04 Quebec

A partial list of stations selling ethanol-free gas in the US and Canada can be viewed here:

You can also check the websites of car and motorcycle clubs. The street rodders and the like often maintain lists online as a convenience for their members (and the rest of the world, too).

Reply to
Moe DeLoughan

Only if it's brand new, and doesn't smell like gas.