OT enlarging photo

Page 2 of 2
On 1/29/2016 8:53 AM, Mayayana wrote:

Well said, thanks. While I use RAW, and like it, I'm not sure I could've explained it that well.
| Well said, thanks. While I use RAW, and like it, I'm not sure I | could've explained it that well. |
Thanks. It's intriguing technology to me. My ladyfriend is an experienced photographer who used to develop and print her own B/W. Now she's transitioning to digital. I'm not as handy with a camera, but I have experience on the software end and have an eye for graphics and color. So we work together, to some extent. It's been interesting for me to see the power and options provided by RAW.
On 1/29/2016 4:37 PM, Mayayana wrote:

I'm no professional, I just enjoy photography. I printed my own B&W when I lived in Bermuda and I really enjoyed that.
For me, the thing to do is show every day things in a different way. I don't alter the photos, but I do employ some creative cropping. I think people like the photos or don't, because sometimes you can't really tell what you're looking at. I've sold a few, but mostly its a hobby for me. Luckily, I have a lot of interesting equipment to make it even more interesting.

+1 on that.
After serious thinking philo wrote :

Thanks for the link to irfanview Philo. I'm using it and like it very much. :D
On 01/29/2016 04:09 PM, Eagle wrote:

You are welcome...it's freeware so good that I sent Irfan a contribution
also as far as freeware goes I am sure just about everyone knows about VLC for videos. I had a corrupted AVI the other day and after trying all kinds of software to fix it...it was pointed out to me how VLC can be used to repair a video by allowing it to re-index, then convert and save. I decided to give them a contribution too.
KenK wrote:

You have to use photo shop kind software to do what you want. It can be done. There are many usable freeware photo editing software. Usually new digital camera when you bought includes such stuffs. Final result is also depends on max resolution of your printer. I use Canon photo printer for pictures. Every thing else is by color laser multi-function printer.

Another reply suggested the freeware Irfanview - http://www.irfanview.com/ I've been happily using it for many years. With it's plug-ins it can be used for video clip viewing as well as photo viewing & editing. Quick & easy to download & install. Powerful yet easy to use. John T
--- ---
On Thu, 28 Jan 2016 12:47:06 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.com wrote:

Paint Shop Pro is not bad either. The early versions from around 1995 were free. I still use that old version because it's easy to use, but I also have a newer (paid) version installed. Both will coexist on the same computer. That older free one is still around on the web. Try oldversion.com or something like that.
| My sister emailed me (Gmail) ancient family photo. I'd like to make it | bigger - my printout clicking on the DLed photo yields a picture about half | an 8 x 11 printer page. Anyone know a simple way to make the print larger? | Hints? Suggestions? I'm unfamiliar with working with (photoshopping) | pictures.
You mean that she emailed a JPG file and you want to print it on paper? Download the free IrfanView. Open the image in it. Go to File -> Print. It will provide various options.
http://www.irfanview.com/main_start_engl.htm
IrfanView is a beautifully made program that';s very compact. It's like the poor man's Photoshop, capable of numerous functions like resize, brighten, contrast, etc.
If you want to resize the digital image you should convert to BMP file first. IrfanView can also do that. JPG format is "lossy". Every time you save it, the image is compressed by dropping out data. Even if you don't specifically compress it further, merely saving as JPG will lose data. To avoid that, work in BMP and only save as JPG if you need to email the photo or use it online.
Note that there are limits to what you can do with an image. And a lot of it depends on the quality and size of the image as you received it. Printing is typically 300 dots per inch. If you have an image 600w x 300h on your computer screen it's probably less than 100 dpi, so it may display 6-8" wide. But if you print that image it will come out 2" x 1". (600 x 300 \ 300dpi) If you wanted to print it, say, 6" x 3" you could do that with IrfanView, but the quality would be very poor.
If you have an image in the range of 2400 x 3300 pixels you can probably print that 8x11", but even then it will depend on the quality of the image. Have you noticed that some photos have tiny rectangles or squares visible in the image? Those are known as artifacts. It's the result of excessive compression of the image. Once that kind of damage is done there's no way to recapture the image data that was lost.
On 01/28/2016 11:50 AM, Mayayana wrote:

All great advice.
Though there are lossless jpg editors it is a good idea to convert to an uncompressed format prior to editing. Though there is nothing wrong with BMP, today's standard is TIFF.
Quoting Edward Ingold: TIFF files contain tags with additional information, like color space, resolution and print size, and can have 16-bit/channel depth (BMP's are limited to 8 bit).
On 1/28/2016 12:27 PM, philo wrote:

Another + for tiff files is you can preserve layers is you're working with a composite.
--
Maggie

On 1/28/2016 11:50 AM, Mayayana wrote:

It is possible to repair or restore pixels in an image by blowing it up and cloning individual pixels that resemble the area and coloration. It doesn't recapture the original image data, but it works to make an image more usable.
--
Maggie

Muggles wrote:

By now OP is totally confused.
On 1/28/2016 12:46 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

yeah, or downloading irfanview and trying to make the image larger via the instructions link someone posted.
If I were him I'd ask the image own if they had a larger file of the image he could print out. :)
--
Maggie

On 1/28/2016 11:47 AM, KenK wrote:

You can copy and paste the image into something like MS Word or Open Office and easily enlarge it by clicking it on and dragging the corner to fit the page. You might want to rotate it to print in landscape mode.

half

larger?

Email or take it to the local copy shop. Around here, it's less than $1 for 8.5x11 on good paper. $3-5 for 11x17. Well worth the cost to me.

Some programs you can set printed image any size. You can also do an image pixel count increase. You can also modify increased pixel image by sharping and other effects. Been awhile since I did anything. Most of m stuff worked with Micrographix, ACDsee, Photoshop.
Greg
"gregz" wrote in message wrote:

Some programs you can set printed image any size. You can also do an image pixel count increase. You can also modify increased pixel image by sharping and other effects. Been awhile since I did anything. Most of m stuff worked with Micrographix, ACDsee, Photoshop.
Greg
You can also use Microsoft Publisher, I prefer to use ACDsee.
On 1/28/2016 9:47 AM, KenK wrote:

You appear to be posting from a Windows host. Have you tried *printing* the photo and selecting a "Full Page Print" in the Photo Printing Wizard?
You can also do this by tweeking some of the printer settings once you have started that process.
Finally, MS has a PowerToy that is very handy for resizing photos. It adds a "Resize Pictures" entry to the context menu for all photos (right click on a photo, select "Resize Pictures") that lets you shrink and enlarge photos to various predefined sizes.