OT: End of Daylight Stupid Time this Sunday

They can break the law by not knowing the time?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Half hour zones is being far too fussy.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Sez you!

I go to sleep before 9PM and often wake at o'dark-thirty. Early sunrise will not be a problem. I'm tired of waiting fer 7AM fer some sunlight. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

Most people only get up before light to go to work. And they'd prefer their leisure time in the evening to have the light.

If you get up when you want to, then there is no reason to get up so early. They're just numbers on the clock.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

If you get up when you want to, I agree. Most of us are tied to jobs or schools that require a starting time that forces us to get up in the dark and travel in the morning dark. I see kids waiting for the school bus in the dark. Only solution is to move to a different latitude.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Muggles wrote: "I just go with the flow! "I get another hour of daylight in the summer? COOL! .... I get another hour to sleep?? ALRIGHT!"

Reply to
thekmanrocks

Twice a year, Theckma has yet another excuse to whine about something he can't understand, and twice a year, he gets an extra hour of stupid for free! Too bad he's always full up to his back teeth with stupid.

Reply to
None
[snip]

I can't keep from noticing the bullshit. How do you expect changing a clock to CONTROL the sun.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Do people really believe this? You're getting less light because you're doing everything an hour later.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I'm reminded of a story about a poor couple preparing for winter. Their only blanket was too short, so they decided to add more material to one end. They couldn't afford new material, so they cut if off the other end of the blanket. They couldn't understand why the blanket was STILL too short.

It's the same kind of DELUSION people have with DST, thinking there's more (or less) light. It's just a mind game.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

"There is absolutely no reason to have more light in the morning. "

Congratulations! Spoken like a true American! Sleep in late, stay up til 2am watching TV.

Are you kidding? If we stayed on Standard year round, and May-July sunrises were at 5am or sooner, I'd be up doing chores around the house. 6am sun is high enough to melt the dew off the lawn for mowing.

When the clock says 12:00, it actually corresponds approximately to actual SOLAR noon, not 11am.

By the time I get home from work, the hottest part of the day is over, so my AC doesn't have to work as hard, and it's still light out til 7-8pm standard.

"-- The problem with today's society is adults are treated like children, children are treated like retards, and retards are exempt from the law. "

This contradicts your earlier statement about "no need" for early sunlight - apparently you don't mind the guvermint telling you what time your clocks should read.

Reply to
thekmanrocks
[snip]

I've heard that DST started as a joke. That makes sense, considering this nonsense about more daylight.

[snip]
Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

You have no control over how much light there is (unless you move somewhere else).

If there is too much light IN THE MORNING, then you need to rearrange your schedule so your sleep period is earlier.

That's exactly the same as playing this mind game of DST, except it's less complicated.

Reply to
Sam E
[snip]

There is such timezones in Iran, Afghanistan, India, Sri Lanka, Burma, Cocos, North Korea, Australia, Canada, Venezuela, and French Polynesia.

There's also a couple of timezones where the DST offset is NOT 1 hour. Lord Howe Island (30 min) Troll Station, Antarctica (2 hours)

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

We're tied to doing things at certain times by civilisation, so changing the time changes the amount of light to do those things. I know Americans are thick, but you really take the biscuit.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Please summarise that more briefly, I have no idea what you're on about.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

My sig has nothing to do with time.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

James Wilkinson Sword wrote: "> Congratulations! Spoken like a true American!

"Please summarise that more briefly, I have no idea what you're on about. "

What don't you understand. The length of daylight changes throughout the year. Between April and September sunrise and set are, respectively, before and after the 'sixes'. Between October and March, after six am and before six pm, respectively.

Reply to
thekmanrocks

Mind game of sorts. Does not change the amount of light just shifts when you do things. No different than saying "next week instead of working 7 to 3, lets work 8 to 4" DST just forces everyone to make the change at the same time.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Ed Pawlowski wrote: "Mind game of sorts. Does not change the amount of light just shifts when you do things. No different than saying "next week instead of working 7 to 3, lets work 8 to 4" DST just forces everyone to make the change at the same time. "

You get the idea, just expressed it backward. On Standard, clock and sun time are in agreement. On Daylight/Summer Time, clock time is ahead of sun time. So if on Standard you work 8a-4p, both by the clock and by the sun. On Daylight, you work 8-4 by the clock, but 7-3 by the sun. Why? You turned the clock ahead one hour at the start of DST.

No easier way to explain it! lol The guvmint loves to control people by mandating something that even the guvt doesn't even understand, let alone

99.9% of the electorate.
Reply to
thekmanrocks