OT - emergency blankets

Page 2 of 3
When I was a kid, my scout troop tried dipping matches. We tried, well, can't remember. What I do remember is that none of the matches would light. Please test the finished product, when you dip matches. Some camping stores have them, already dipped. Lifeboat matches.

Good idea I think. Then store them in one of these.
The matches stay dry even without coating them.
_Everdry Match Safe Case Holder Camping Bug out bag _
Pic: <
http://bonanzleimages.s3.amazonaws.com/afu/images/5281/6021/img_6648.jpg
Use kitchen matches with the white striker tip.

-snip-
But coat them anyway because it will be raining like hell when you open that thing- and your wet hands will ruin the whole works.
Jim
Please actually try the coated matches. When I was a kid, my scout troop tried dipping, wax, nail polish, etc. None would light after coating.
Waterproof matches are sold in camping stores.

But coat them anyway because it will be raining like hell when you open that thing- and your wet hands will ruin the whole works.
Jim
On 11/24/2012 10:25 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

The problem is moisture from your body will condense on the inside and drip rain on you while you sleep. That is, unless it's freezing, then you will develop ice cycles on the inside.
Paul
On 11/24/2012 6:24 PM, Paul Drahn wrote:

ice icicles. An ice cycle would really suck.
http://1funny.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/ice-cycle.jpg
;-)
On 11/24/2012 6:29 PM, One World wrote:

Some drunk homey might try to steal that bike. ^_^
TDD

That's cold, dude.
Oh, that makes me shiver, just to think.
The problem is moisture from your body will condense on the inside and drip rain on you while you sleep. That is, unless it's freezing, then you will develop ice cycles on the inside.
Paul
On 11/24/2012 5:48 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Guess I better get a proof reader!
Paul
On 11/24/2012 1:25 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Saw a coat advertised on principle of "silver" reflectors. They are not continuous and allow breathing.

I bought a bunch a long time ago, the shiny ones. I read something about body fluids on the yellow ones, yikes. The good, they don't take up much space. Space ? Yes, take off all your clothes and you will be warm, not.
I bought a large full size winter coat long ago, with reflective layer on inside. I'll take that when I need warmth.
If your naked and sweating after a long run, I guess the blanket is the ideal quick fix. Wind break plus heat reflection.
The only time you'll get enough heat reflection is with an air gap on naked skin. If your already wearing a coat, ir radiation is going to be minimal, thus space blanket useless, unless it acts as wind break. They say, 90% heat retention, that's ir radiation, not conduction, or convection.
For one reason or another, I have had a nice warm blanket in the trunk. It was something I had leftover from traveling. Regardless if you use it to protect something, or keep something from moving around the trunk, or emergency warmth, I would recommend one. Throw a couple space blankets in there too.
Greg
One time, a friend and I were out doors, and it was bitter cold, and blowing. We left the truck, and walked across an open field, might have been ten degrees. I had a coat on, and brought an old bed comforter, which was yarn and lots of holes in it. That was just useless. Made me think that a blanket for rescue should be wind proof.
The appeal of the yellow emergency blankets, is the plastic layer should make it wind proof. A big of fuzzy, to make it warm. Or, so the theory goes.
[...]

Anyone tried the Kobalt heated jacket? Comes with rechargeable batteries. Supposed to provide heating pads to "vital areas."? The idea sounds good. Leave a battery on a solar charger in your deer shack, go to it, and plug yourself in. Other than that, I guess you could plug it into a cig plug, and use on ATV, or motorcycle if it was 12v. The idea sounds like a winner. I wonder why we haven't seen it before. I've heard of heated socks, which sounds good for certain things like deer stands, or ice fishing.
Steve
On Sat, 24 Nov 2012 13:25:04 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

A "space blanket" works pretty well to reflect your body heat back in - and it also stops brezzes from cutting through, removing more heat.
That killer wind, is miserable. The couple times I've been out doors in the winter, it's not as bad if the wind is calm. Last couple days have been 34F and windy, and that really chills me.
A "space blanket" works pretty well to reflect your body heat back in - and it also stops brezzes from cutting through, removing more heat.
*** snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

I keep a flannel shirt, heavy winter coat, water proof winter gloves, a faux fur lined hat with ear flaps, and 2 heavy pairs of socks in the trunk of my car during the winter.
That is in case I get stuck out in the boonies in a winter storm. People have frozen to death in some of those situations.
I also have snow chains and a flashlight - then the gloves. All handy to put the chains on if needed.
And a camping survival kit as well as a basic set of tools.
Duct tape and bailing wire can come in handy too!
No emergency blanket? Really?
I keep a flannel shirt, heavy winter coat, water proof winter gloves, a faux fur lined hat with ear flaps, and 2 heavy pairs of socks in the trunk of my car during the winter.
That is in case I get stuck out in the boonies in a winter storm. People have frozen to death in some of those situations.
I also have snow chains and a flashlight - then the gloves. All handy to put the chains on if needed.
And a camping survival kit as well as a basic set of tools.
Duct tape and bailing wire can come in handy too!

Dumbass desert rat here. Went skiing in Utah. Had to put on chains. Inexperienced. Bare handed. Yanked, and put one s hook right through my middle finger muscle area. Boy, that hurt, or so I thought. Got to ER, and they soaked it in something, and that really hurt. Stitched me up, and gave me some Percodan, which really came in handy when the Novocain wore off. Hell, you can't even feel your lips on that stuff.
Steve
Did you use an emergency blanket?
Dumbass desert rat here. Went skiing in Utah. Had to put on chains. Inexperienced. Bare handed. Yanked, and put one s hook right through my middle finger muscle area. Boy, that hurt, or so I thought. Got to ER, and they soaked it in something, and that really hurt. Stitched me up, and gave me some Percodan, which really came in handy when the Novocain wore off. Hell, you can't even feel your lips on that stuff.
Steve

OUCH!!
Anybody ever use these- http://www.flextrax.com /
"Not cheaper than chains, but they are better, faster, easier and safer!"
Rubber chains you put on without jacking or moving the vehicle.
Jim