OT: Email attachments

I need to send a larger file via email and cannot use the likes of Dropbox. I am considering an online email service which will do it for free, but the attachment is sensitive material and I want to ensure a successful transmission.
Anyone use such a service and can offer a recommendation?
Thanks

account. YOu can also set up a Google drive where only people you want to can see that information and they can download it to their computer. Not sure how big it can be, but I have some 20 meg files that seem to go out ok. All that is free.
On 8/3/2015 3:06 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

That's the same as Dropbox, which I normally use but we are first trying to ensure direct email reception.
Thanks
On 2015-08-03 1:03 PM, Meanie wrote:

Hand a USB stick in person is the most secure of them all. However this article has ideas if you really need to do it digitally.
http://lifehacker.com/5784478/how-can-i-securely-send-sensitive-tax-docs-to-my-tax-preparer
On 8/3/2015 3:59 PM, Idlehands wrote:

we'll try the email approach first.
Per Meanie:

I use COTSE (COTSE.NET) and they have yet to flag an outgoing message because of size. # of recipients, yes... but not size.
My main problem with big files, then, becomes the recipients' email service not allowing anything over a certain size. This has been so common for me that I have pretty much given up on it and resort to other means.
YouSendIt.com being one of them, the aforementioned USB stick being another, and, finally, common access to a third PC via TeamViewer.
--
Pete Cresswell

On 8/3/2015 4:35 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Good point and thanks for the reminder. I'm focused on sending a larger file but didn't think about the receiving end. Not knowing what he uses as the email server, I wouldn't know what his limit is.
Thanks
On 8/3/15 3:03 PM, Meanie wrote:

I've used FTP years ago, when size restrictions on email were tight.
Nowadays, people use cloud services like Google Drive. OS X comes with 5 GB of cloud availability, but I've never looked into it because I haven't had anything big to send.

I still upload files into my paid server. It's unlimited. People could have also used their comcast web space, but they are taking that away soon. FTP works fine for me but some don't bother. I am Leary of using any cloud or google.
Greg
On 8/5/15 12:33 AM, gregz wrote:

desktop, a laptop, a tablet, etc. Grab your tablet and fly to a meeting, and all your stuff is available.
I have only a desktop. I didn't put anything in the cloud, and I switched it off, but OS X keeps contacting it. I don't like that. I assume they aren't taking data without authorization, but it's overhead on my CPU and my internet connection.
I believe I have exceeded my ISP's email size limit when I tried to send a video file. I converted it to MP4, which compressed it more than other formats; so I didn't have to split it. If I were going to send several emails with pieces of a file, I guess I'd check with the recipient first.
A relative uses email to distribute photo collections that may be 10MB. The size will go, but her recipient list is too long for her provider. Some never get her mail, and she doesn't know.
Why can't you just use your own email service? Assuming it's not a JPG you're sending, you can also shrink it down by putting it into a ZIP file. Most ZIP programs will also allow you to set a password for security, too.
You don't need to worry about the integrity of the transfer, though. Data isn't lost. But you do need to be aware that email attachments are encoded as Base-64 text, because email only transmits text. The encoding makes the file bigger by 1/3. So if you had a website you could post a 9 MB file there and a friend could download 9 MB. If you send 9 MB through email your friend will get a 12 MB attachment.
I've received attachments as big as 10 MB with no trouble. I don't know what typical limits are.
The file splitter idea is also good. It's true that the people at the other end would need the same program, but it's a very basic operation. Such programs literally just split the file into chunks of x-number bytes. Stitching it back up is a simple matter of writing all of those chunks serially to a new file. The software doesn't need to understand the file format involved, so it would normally be a very small, free program that does the job.

If a zip file is too big, you split the source file - and THAT requires the program to "glue it back together"