OT - Electric Shocks From Shopping Carts

Page 1 of 2
I was shopping at BJ's last night and was pushing one of their big red shopping carts around the store. The carts are metal, with a plastic semi-circle attached to the top of the handle, leaving the metal on the bottom of the handle exposed.
A couple of times I felt something strange on the finger tips on my left hand so I (carefully) slid my hand along the underside of the handle to see if there something sharp under there. It was completely smooth.
I continued walking around the store and continued to feel the strange sensation every few steps, eventually realizing that it felt like I was being shocked.
I paid close attention to the position of my hands and found that if I wrapped my hands around the handle in a normal fashion, but moved my finger tips so that they were very close to, but not touching, the metal underside of the handle, I would get a static electricity shock every few steps.
It didn't hurt, but it was not a pleasant feeling.
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 13 Sep 2012 08:59:58 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

They are sending subliminal messages to the shoppers via wireless microwave transmissions. The object is to get you to buy - buy - buy and each message disrects you to a different part of the store. If you watch carefully, you'll find yourself moving repeatedly to different parts of the store and purchasing items that you would never buy and dont even want. Those items that you bought on impulse and were not on your shopping list, are the ones that they were promoting in their secret messages.
The next time you shop there, take a radiation detector along and you'll see that meter pegging every few minutes. They are controlling your mind and laughing while they are taking your money. The shopping carts are equipped with electronic devices that apparently you are sensing. Some people are more sensitive to things like that....
Add pictures here
✖
On Sep 13, 1:24 pm, gabby snipped-for-privacy@happy-hour.com wrote:

Well, they are wasting their technology since that's how I shop anyway.

Doesn't BJ's sell radiation detectors in bulk?
If the meter pegs that would certainly be "impulse" buying. ;-)

Add pictures here
✖

I love it!
✖
In article

Or see an attorney. Haven't you been suffering from insomnia, facial tics, IBS, ED, and incontinence since this horrible incident? BJs obviously knows about this problem, and it seems to me they're criminally negligent for not remedying it. Will they wait until someone jerks their hand away, and pokes out a fellow shopper's eye with his elbow before they take action?
Add pictures here
✖

Not just since the incident. :-(

Add pictures here
✖

Nah... he was just charged up to buy something. Or I could say what is he complaining about? It sounds like he had an electrifying experience in that store.
Seriously, he might thing of different shoes as another poster said (my preference) or wear gloves.
Add pictures here
✖

Trust me...I know all about the static shock one can get when getting out of a car.
Problem is it that doesn't happen every single time, so when it does I'm always surprised...and pissed!
Add pictures here
✖
On 9/13/2012 3:21 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Sounds to me like you are the source of the static charge and not the cart.
Could be clothing or shoes, just as you describe getting static charge exiting your truck.
Try fabric softener in your clothes drier to help eliminate.
Add pictures here
✖

I agree. It's usually the person, not the object that generates the charge. When the person touches a conductive surface (usually metal), there's a discharge.
If you have a short linear fluorescent lamp (take one out of a desk light or under-cabinet light), walk around on a dry day and then hold the pins on one end of the lamp with your fingers and touch a water pipe or other metal with the other end. If you see the lamp flash, it's you.
Tomsic
Add pictures here
✖
On 9/13/2012 9:04 PM, Tomsic wrote:

This defines triboelectric effect:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triboelectric_effect
I believe someone should be able to find tables of materials and relative potential charge when rubbed together.
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 13 Sep 2012 12:21:36 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

Certain types of winter coats seem to cause this. I had one coat that was some sort of plastic material or nylon, or something like that, and it was always giving me shocks when I got out of the car. I sent that coat to the garbage and seldom got shocked with other coats.
Add pictures here
✖

I keep the key in my hand and use that to touch first. I can see the arc, but feel nothing.
This winter will be interesting. I just got a new car and keyless ignition. I guess I'll just have to hold the door or grab a coin first..
Add pictures here
✖

So that explains your crazy thoughts about a week or so ago... too much heat and not enough water :-)
I guess you have less allergies or colds there tho ??
Add pictures here
✖

Just open the car door and take a piss on the ground first!!!!
Add pictures here
✖

At my PPoE, I'd draw a visible spark whenever I got close to any metal in the place. Walking through a doorway, everyone would hear a *snap*. It was particularly interesting because my job was designing (debugging) fairly static sensitive equipment. It got a good test! In my CPoE, I've not had any problem with static at all. My bet is that they control the environment a lot closer.

Yeah, tires are good insulators. In the Winter I get in the habit of slapping the metal parts as I get in/out.
Add pictures here
✖

I think years ago I heard some people have more electr. charges than others (seriously). I haven't heard much on this subject since.
Add pictures here
✖

jeez...now I gotta keep a list of what shoes I can wear in which store.
Add pictures here
✖

I think you should kill yerself to avoid any further unpleasantries in wimpy life.
nb
--
Definition of objectivism:
"Eff you! I got mine."

Good idea.
If I put 100 - 150 carts in series I might be able to generate enough of a charge to be lethal.
Do you think my estate will get a pro-rated refund on my membership?
Add pictures here
✖