OT: Electric car batteries

Page 10 of 11
On 06/25/2016 10:58 AM, James Wilkinson wrote:

Finally, a truthful statement. Why don't you recuse yourself from any discussion involving technology?

Discussions don't just have experts in them.
--
He'll be coming in her crevice when he comes,
he'll be coming in her crevice when he comes,
On 06/25/2016 12:26 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:

True, that.

Ner ner ner ner ner!!!
--
How come the dove gets to be the peace symbol? How about the pillow? It has more feathers than the dove, and it doesn't have that dangerous beak!

On 06/25/2016 07:15 AM, James Wilkinson wrote:

Nothing is going to make much difference when you're driving a '67 Humber Super Snipe.

The oldest vehicle I ever drove was a 1988 Range Rover 3.5 litre V8. It ran on propane gas, when it felt like it. And sometimes backfired with enough volume to wake 3 blocks.
--
Nagry: the state of emotion a woman is in when yelling at her husband

On 06/23/2016 01:05 PM, Vic Smith wrote:

See how fast the 'octane' meter spins when you select 260... I think it went backwards if you cheaped out with 190.
On 6/23/2016 3:13 AM, James Wilkinson wrote:

First, you'd never get a standard to stick. As technology changes, batteries change. Start with three, now four, now five...
Look at battery history. For many years, you had a choice of AA, C, D-cells. Then AAA, 9V. Most anything you had would run on one or more of those. Look at cellphones. How many different cellphone batteries? Even the ones exactly the same size moved the connector. Why? Market forces at work...Would you buy a smart phone with a battery from 1980?
You're underthinking it.

e:

out

m,

There has never been a need to keep those the same. But there aren't that many different gas cylinders to exchange.
-- A bunch of lawyers were sitting around the office playing poker. “I win!” says Johnson at which point Henderson throws down his cards. “That’s it! I've had it! Johnson is cheating!!!” “How can you tell?” Phillips asked. “Those aren't the cards I dealt him!”
On Thu, 23 Jun 2016 23:08:24 +0100, "James Wilkinson"

What change has there been in gas cyl technology? other than the OPD valve?

Precisely my point. Only a few different designs, you can walk into a shop and exchange any cylinder without problems. So the same can happen with car batteries.
--
The true mark of a civilized society is when its citizens know how to hate each other peacefully.

On 06/25/2016 10:17 AM, James Wilkinson wrote:

That wonderful word, 'can' and its sibling 'should'...

Well manufacturers will have to use the standard used by the charging companies.
--
How does a man know when his wife is losing interest?
When her favorite sexual position is next door.

Except there are so many different battery technologies - unlike fuel gasses, which are NOT compatible with one another or their charging systems - so you can NOT compare gas cyls to batteries.
You are SO uneducated about technologies - you just make a total idiot of yourself every time you post. You are joining Mr MacCaw in the idiot bin.

No, just a few.

You can, because both are incompatible.
And why are you putting some words in capitals? Do you speak like that in real life? You sound quite odd.

I see, have a girly temper tantrum then fold your arms and go off sulking, you are so pathetic.
--
We cannot see the future.
We cannot change the past.
On 06/22/2016 03:16 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

After working on cars for over 50 years, I've never noticed car manufacturers standardizing components even within their own company. Don't get me started on my collection of end cap oil filter wrenches...
On 6/22/2016 5:16 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

OP suggests, "you simply pay, take a full one, and slot in your empty one." However, the battery for a Nissan Leaf weighs about 600 lbs. I don't know about your strength, but I don't know of anyone who can just "take a full one, and slot in your empty one." Not anything similar to the ease of changing the starting battery in a traditional gasoline engine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechanization
--
Those who get too big for their britches will be exposed in the end.

I just make some dummy fake batteries. I trade them for the real ones then go and sell them. Or I use the crap out of my batteries then trade them for newer ones.
On 6/22/2016 3:44 AM, James Wilkinson wrote:

It's been tried, but I think that Tesla decided that the SuperCharger approach was a better approach. The cost to install the machinery to swap a 1200 lb battery would be high.
Most people with a Tesla also have a gasoline powered car for long trips, or they can rent a car on those occasions, or they can just wait the 30-45 minutes for a charge at a SuperCharger.