OT- Electric Blanket Controls Backwards

I have an electric blanket with an off-on switch that seems intuitively backwards.

When you look at the control, with the illuminated numbers on the rotary dial in the correct alignment, so you see them right side up, you depress the left side of the switch just below the dial to turn the blanket on, and depress the right side of the switch to turn it off. My intuition is to depress the right side of the switch to turn it on and the left side to turn it off. Is this because I am right- handed, or somehown grown up with a warped sense of on-off, or is it really counter-intuitive??

Reply to
hrhofmann

there should be a thorough investigation...

marc

Reply to
21blackswan

Seems backwards to me too.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

7-

Probably somewhere in China, brand name is Sunbeam. Two other alectric blankets we have have the "more normal" left off, right on arrangement.

Reply to
hrhofmann

I thought there was something in the 'codes' mandating off to the left on horizontal swidtches. But then I bought a cheap coffee makeer (Proctor Silex) that is the most screwed up design I ever saw. I first thought it was designed by a leftee...

  1. Carafe has the volume markes ('cups') on the right side only so ifyou are filling it for lesst than 12 cups you have to hold it in your left hand...but then, due to the machines design, water can ony be put in from the right hand side. So fill with left hand, swap to right to pour in machine.
  2. Rocker horizontal switch backward "off" on right.
  3. Coffee filter basket has a convenient 'handle" sticking out to lift it out. Yep, points to the back of the madhine and is on the left again. Due to design it is a two handed operation, left hand lift on handle, right hand pick up frot of basket or it will jam when lifted only by the handle.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Really makes you wonder what sort of folks design things, and who approves them before they go to manufacture. Sometimes they appear to be designed and approved by 2-year olds, no, make that 1-year olds.

Reply to
hrhofmann

I don't know about the codes, but it could be differant in other parts of the world. I was an electrician for a company and of all things some of the inported large breaker cabinets were color coded backwards from the old US standard. If it was red, it was on and dangerous to open and if green it was off and save to enter. Backwards from the old US stuff. Really confusing especially as this is in some 480 volt 3 phase stuff.

From what I have read, England light switches are installed upside down from the US. That is most US light switches turn on when up and in England they turn on when down.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Let's get the Feds involved and give up even more of our freedoms, right?

Then again maybe if we can convince them that they should spend their time making laws about which way a switch should operate, they will be too preoc cupied to go after the important stuff...

Reply to
dennisgauge

Yeah, I have some X10 wireless transmitters with an on button and an off button for each of 8 channels/devices. On is on the left and Off is on the right .... and it drives me nuts too. I thought it was just me.

Reply to
Art Todesco

e making laws about which way a switch should operate, they will be too pre occupied to go after the important stuff...

There is a good reason for standardization of switch positions. Nice to know how to operate in the dark., or for quick shut off in emergency. Not all regulation is "bad" - some of it is for your own good. Or are you against all the safe water, food regs?

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

ime making laws about which way a switch should operate, they will be too p reoccupied to go after the important stuff...

good point!

Reply to
hrhofmann

Drink a fifth of Jim Beam Bourbon, wait 15 minutes, then try it again. It will be the right way now!

Reply to
generic

I agree... Our Whirlpool stove has knobs that you turn clockwise to to Lower the heat, opposite of the standard radio volume knob.

And even worse, the knob is labeled with numbers but the ends are labeled with LO and HI so the sequence is

HI 8 6 4 2 LO.

With the printing so small and petite font, the LO looks a lot like 10 which makes it even more confusing.

You're right, the designers are idiots.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

I've been a ham operator for decades, and every transmitter I have ever seen has a RED light for transmit.

I still press the RED button on my cell phone when I want to dial and stare at it wondering why nothing happens.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

I had a problem with the electric stove in an apartment I used to live in. After cooking something, I turned the burner off but that was actually high. The grease caught on fire, and the design of that kitchen made the circuit breakers inaccessible without going right in front of the stove (where if was much too hot and smoky).

Reply to
Mark Lloyd