OT: Education reforms

A recent study reported that women entering the workplace earn only 78% (as I recall) as much as their male recent graduate colleagues. Of course this is in aggregate; the study compared males who majored in chemical engineering to females who majored in Early Elizabethan Poetry.
Anyway, a recent proposal has been floated in Florida to adjust state tuition charges based on students' college majors.
"Since degrees in science, technology engineering, and math collectively known as STEM fields are more likely to employ graduates than degrees in liberal arts, the plan calls for Florida to raise tuition on non-STEM programs."
http://dailycaller.com/2012/10/31/florida-eyes-education-reforms-tuition-incentives/#ixzz2AtJUXCfc
Sounds like a plan to me; the nation already has enough lawyers.
begin 666 icon1.png MB5!.1PT*&@H````-24A$4@````H````*" 8```'Z-?\K````MDE$0508E6W/
M.^Q"YZFNQZ[V:"+X:(<7K42IL1^'=C _T_/_?>F>"/>;GM[DV,)(.1!3RI6B M;YDGP9&1I@<LY):B1J80G$Q (:0WX$GMM5>G.8,(9D,?]/3>&O\`U1 T"YQ_ .[,0`````245.1*Y"8((` ` end

I couldn't agree more about the lawyers. However, if the government would end the tuition subsidies and loan guarantees to college students the colleges would be forced to lower their tuition rates to align with what the market will support.
On 10/31/2012 1:39 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:

With lawyer sons, I don't agree, and both got put deep in debt with tuition loans. I only paid for undergraduate degrees. Three sons at U.of Del. would have cost me $250,000 today.
I do agree completely that government getting out of making money available to borrow for tuition's is responsible for driving up the cost. When I went to college decades ago, I managed to earn enough on summer jobs to pay for tuition and books and a car to commute. My father gave me an allowance for lunches and gas and I lived at home. Then grad school I worked as a graduate assistant which paid for tuition and living expenses. Finally out of school I had zero debt.

Over the last 30 years or so, the CPI has gone up just over 100%, medical expenses around 300% and tuition up over 500%. Guess what two areas the government is most involved in financing.