OT: Ebola, interesting NBC story on how big business dealt with it

Page 6 of 8
On Thursday, October 30, 2014 12:07:08 AM UTC-4, Malcom Mal Reynolds wrote:

The hospital in Spain had a nurse infected too. Is Perry responsible for that too?
Of course you're pea brain is fixated on Perry, like a child fascinated with a shiny toy. Meanwhile you have no criticism for Obama, who continues to refuse to institute a ban on non-essential travel from West Africa. The polls now show 80% of Americans want a travel ban.
And where is Flounder, the political hack OBama appointed Ebola czar to lead the Ebola response? He wasn't at the big WH Sat night meeting, two days after his appointment, to discuss Ebola. Must have been pretty important, or else Obama would have been somewhere golfing or fund raising on a Sat. He wasn't at a meeting just a few days ago. No one has seen him, he hasn't issued any statements or said a word.
Where is your concern about that?
On Thursday, October 30, 2014 12:07:08 AM UTC-4, Malcom Mal Reynolds wrote:

First, your assertion that Perry or being a Republican has anything to do with the quality of healthcare is silly. Here's a map showing healthcare rankings and clearly it's a regional issue, driven by socioeconomics, not political party.
http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/05/the-states-with-the-worst-performing-healthcare-systems/361514/
The south as a whole has the lowest healthcare rankings. And note that Georgia, where Emory University Hospital is located, has a Republican governor. That's where several of the other Ebola patients were treated, with no staff infection. Also, the governor of Nebraska, another state where Ebola patients have been treated has had no problems. So, there goes that nonsense. The difference is not who's governor. As any reasonably person can see, the big difference is those other hospitals were one that specialize in treating dangerous, highly contagious diseases and they have experience, facilities, and training for that purpose. They also knew days in advance that an Ebola patient was arriving. The Dallas hospital had no warning, the guy just showed up in the ER. And it's just a typical hospital.
Also, AFAIK, we don't know what protocols those other hospitals were following. Nothing says they had to only follow the CDC recommendations. It's entirely possible that having actual experience, facilities dedicated to treating diseases of this type, that they had protocols beyond what the CDC recommended. None of that has anything to do with Republicans or Perry.

so inadequate that no other American hospital has had an outbreak?

yet the other hospitals were treating patients well before Dallas treated patient "zero", treating the patients with the same protocols as Dallas and there were no outbreaks
On Thursday, October 30, 2014 12:10:38 AM UTC-4, Malcom Mal Reynolds wrote:

Show us proof of the claim that the other facilities, ones that are specialized to deal with highly contagious, deadly diseases like Ebola used the same protocols as Dallas.

and then again, they haven't said the hospital WAS following their protocols
maybe when Governor Perrys empanelled commission gives the results of their investigation...wait a minute, he hasn't created that commission, has he?

that nurse who worked at a hospital treating an ebola patient, she being part of the team, who felt like crap and had a fever, but was too ignorant to put it together that rather than ask for permission to travel, she should have checked herself into the hospital. I wouldn't want her as my nurse
On Thursday, October 30, 2014 12:14:23 AM UTC-4, Malcom Mal Reynolds wrote:

She did what you libs like. She put her faith in big govt. She asked the CDC, ie the feds, who were in chareged and responsible for making decisions what she should do. She asked them several times. They told her it was OK to get on that plane. Why is it that you're here bitching about Perry, while not saying a word about the incompetence of the CDC and Tom Frieden and trying to pin it on the nurse? We all know why......
On Thursday, October 30, 2014 12:14:23 AM UTC-4, Malcom Mal Reynolds wrote:

They did say they don't know what went wrong, how the nurses were infected. They said that there must have been a "breach in protocol". A reasonable person would conclude that having their CDC team there in Dallas at that hospital, then:
A - If the hospital wasn't following the right protocol they would have vigorously told the hospital staff that. It's hard to believe the hospital would defy the CDC.
B - The CDC must be lying when they say they have no idea what went wrong, only that it must have been a breach in protocol.

Perry on the brain. What a lame, partisan hack. Focus on Perry, ignore what Obama is and isn't doing, which affects the whole country. Where is Flounder, the Ebola czar who is MIA?

Sure, put all the blame on the nurse, but not one damn word about the incompetence at the CDC. It was the expersts in Ebola at the CDC that were closely monitoring the situation. It was their job to protect her and the whole country from this deadly disease. They told her to get on that plane when she called them multiple times with reservations about doing so. But, heh, the CDC is run by Freiden who was appointed by Obama and still has Obama's support, so nothing wrong there. Good grief.

doesn't matter. the Dallas hospital had the same protocols as the other hospitals treating ebola patients until the two nurses got contaminated and yet no other nurse has been infected.

and you will kindly post a cite for what protocols they were following
And if you want to look at just the USA, then you need

and they were following the same protocols as the Dallas hospital. snark

analogies usually contain the word "like" or "as", so it was just a poor strawman

but only two in the US. do try to keep up
A nurse was infected

ah, poor baby, conservatives/republicans never do anything wrong. When Perrys commission on the event releases the results, we'll...wait a minute Perry hasn't created that commission has he? guess he doesn't care

and I keep asking who should be appointed and I get no answer

yes, because conservatives feel the need to determine skills based on peoples looks

no they didn't. the second nurse wanted to fly somewhere

but the flu is
And it would be impossible to stop the flu

why?
Yet obviously even

an overabundance of caution and the sure and certain knowledge that if it didn't the conservatives would be howling at the lack of concern.
Sure, we can do all that,

and you have no concern for the some 3000 people who will die from the flu, including over 100 children, but you'd rather spend excessive amounts of angst of one case of ebola

why?
We can spread the

oh come on, we libs care for your cracker children, even if you don't

you just lied

the fact is that facts are always irrelevant to conservatives

did I ever say a tobacco company shouldn't be allowed to grow tobacco for medical use? you really do find lying to be quite easy, don't you?
In article

Not in the US. The Dallas patient was Patient 0 as in the first one. The initial case. The lead off incident.
but what they conceal is vital.?
In article

Which nurse is this?
but what they conceal is vital.?
In article

Ignore my previous request. I remembered the others who were imported. Of course the main difference is that the others were sent to specialized units, one of 5 in the entire country, that are specially trained, and funded, to receive these kinds of patients. Their funding includes specialized equipment, specialized training, specialized treatment facilities, specialized labs. Sorta like comparing a surgical outcome at the Mayo Clinic with one from the local Doc in the Box. The real question is why wasn't our first guy sent to one of these?

on a World Health Organization model in which care was given in more remote places, often outdoors, and without intensive training for health workers. http://www.thestar.com/news/world/2014/10/19/new_ebola_protocols_for_us_h ealthcare_workers.html

Interesting enough they weren't. Since they were considered high hazard facilities, they had different protocols both from the CDC and then they had developed some additions of their own.
but what they conceal is vital.?
On Thursday, October 30, 2014 7:32:26 AM UTC-4, Kurt Ullman wrote:

Because there is no national plan to deal with Ebola. Obama said it was extremely unlikely that we'd have it here. Even now, the CDC apparently thinks it's a swell idea to treat Ebola patients in the local hospital instead of at one of the several facilities for contagious diseases that you speak of. And those facilities now have experience in treating Ebola. Better for the healtcare workers and better for the patients. My plan, and it sounds like your plan, would be to quickly transfer anyone diagnosed with Ebola to one of those specialized facilities. Instead, the CDC and the idiot mayor of NYC think it's a swell idea to treat them in Manhattan.
You don't have to be a genius to see why that's a very bad idea. Start with that when those healthcare workers in Dallas got infected, they quickly secured their cars, sealed them up. In NYC you typically don't drive to work, you take the bus and/or subway. Think about that....
And lack of a rational national plan has forced states to make up their own plans, the example being the quarantines. NY, NJ, IL, FL all adopted quarantines. CA just followed suit. That's 2 Republicans, 3 Democrats that agree the national plan is lacking, Obama and the CDC aren't doing what's needed.
On 10/30/2014 9:20 AM, trader_4 wrote:

I heard a day or two ago, that Big O was pressuring NJ and NYS to lighten up on the plans. That's not giving me warm fuzzy feelings.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 10/30/2014 9:20 AM, trader_4 wrote:

Do you get the general sense, this isn't over. it's only starting? With each news story, I roll my eyes and think BOHICA!
On Thursday, October 30, 2014 9:46:36 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Of course it's not over. We continue to have an open door to the countries with Ebola epidemics. We have 20,000+ infected so far and the number is doubling every month. It's obviously only a matter of time until another Duncan arrives here. And maybe this time, the person won't go as quickly to the ER, but instead wind up infecting the public. Not far fetched, Duncan already proved that lying gets you into the USA.
The total failure of national leadership on this has lead to a total mess. We have the US military policy of quarantining for 3 weeks soldiers returning from West Africa who had no known contact with Ebola. We have some states quarantining American healthcare workers for 3 weeks when they return. Yet we have an open door policy where any foreignor from any remote village in West Africa that's full of Ebola can travel here to see his cousin or visit NYC, traveling freely. Go figure.
In article

Obama was going to have into how badly the CDC messed up. Wait, he hasn't created a commission has he? Guess he doesn't care.

that isn't needed, adds another layer to the bureaucracy (adding another place for screw ups to occur)? In fairness the need to be seen doing SOMETHING, whether or not it is actually helpful or useful, is a bipartisan affliction.

And was cleared to do so by the CDC. Hard to put that one on the TX governor.

if you want to contain the flu, it would be much easier and less expensive to just send in the cops, tie people down and vaccinate everyone.

the 21 day quarantine. However, as I mentioned earlier, this is really just a bureaucracy covering its nether regions. It much easier and safer to say no than to risk even one infection by saying yes. A very bipartisan response, yet again.

best for you even if you are too dumb to realize it come out.
but what they conceal is vital.?

why would he care about Texas. Texas is a big believer in states rights, correct

Texas governor, texas hospital, texas hospital hires nurse who thought there was some possibility that since she was one of the nurses who were responsible for the ebola patient, one nurse had already been infected and she felt like crap and had a fever...shouldn't have needed to ask the CDC, should have known she was probably infected

but we could make it illegal to send sick kids to school, we could do a manhattan style project to find a cure for the flu

because there never is a solution that will make everyone happy

the important part was the word "cracker". you over-sensitive conservatives never will have a sense of humor

which is a good thing as that would be a sign of ebola