OT: Ebola, interesting NBC story on how big business dealt with it

Page 3 of 8
On Sunday, October 26, 2014 7:05:54 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Not only did he let that case in, he's continuing to allow unlimited numbers from West Africa to come here. It's only a matter of time until another, similar infected person arrives. You have 10,000+ people infected there now and it's doubling every month.
And don't forget that the CDC had it's team in Dallas. It was the CDC that set the standards of what kind of protective gear was needed. It was the CDC that's supposed to have the expertise in this area, not some typical community hospital you could find anywhere. And the CDC was right there, while that hospital treated Duncan. It's obvious what went on and is *still* going on.
Right now, we have another experiment going on at Bellevue in NYC. What geniuses decide to treat an Ebola patient in NYC? It's even worse than Dallas. Those infected nursed in Dallas drove to work. How many of the staff at Bellevue take the subway or bus to work? So, who's to blame for that stupidity? Cuomo? Or the CDC that says that's the peachy keen way to proceed? Also, think about what these cases are doing to the hospitals. They've cleared out entire floors for one patient. Regular patients are running away, killing their business. If one nurse from Bellevue winds up contracting Ebola, think of the damage to the businesses and people of NYC. You can already kiss the bowling alley and restaurant there goodbye. How many more do we need?
Make me Ebola czar. New plan. As soon as someone is confirmed to have Ebola, isolate them, send a medical jet to transport them to Emory or one of the other specialized hospitals with the skills and experience to treat them. Safer for the hospital workers, safer for the community, safer for the patient, because they are in the hands of experienced staff, not someone seeing Ebola for the first time.
Makes sense?
On 10/26/2014 8:56 AM, trader_4 wrote:

Better plan. Ship them back so minimize exposure here.
On 10/26/2014 9:08 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I like the Ed plan. Parachute them back down.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 10/26/2014 8:56 AM, trader_4 wrote:

You got my vote.
But why do we have Czars? We're not a Soviet state. Yet. We used to be a Constitutional Republic.

So the Governor of Texas is not interested in finding out why there were three breaches of the standards at one of his world class lowest ranked health care facilities?

So Texas had the same standards as the three/four other states that have/had ebola patients and the fact that there were no breaches except in Texas is in no way the fault of the Texas health care system?
You know, the same CDC that says, "don't

Just pointing out how well the vaunted regulatory environment espoused by Governor Perry is what happens when you let conservatives run things

Especially if it's in Africa

so you lied when you said that Zmapp is made by genetically modifying tobacco plants and growing them to produce. I guess maybe the pot growers in Washington and Colorado will do it, not the tobacco farmers in the South
On Saturday, October 25, 2014 11:40:32 PM UTC-4, Malcom Mal Reynolds wrote:

It's not state standards that are the issue here. Those other hospitals that the Americans from Africa were brought to here specialize in treating and containing extremely contagious diseases. Those patients didn't walk into the emergency room, the facilities were chosen to be the best available for treating highly contagious, exotic diseases.
Now, Texas was just following the dopey CDC plan. Not only were they following it and the CDC standards, but a CDC team was there almost from day one. So, if that Texas hospital was doing anything wrong, it's on the CDC. And it's not surprising the CDC doesn't know WTF they're doing, it was the CDC that told the Dallas nurse that travelled to Ohio that is was perfectly fine to get on an airplane, even though she felt like crap and had a fever. Also, being a partisan hack, you wouldn't follow the news, but if you did, you'd know that a national poll of nurses showed that something like 80% said they had not be trained on Ebola, their hospitals didn't have procedures in place, etc. But heh, keep trying to pin it on Perry. Is he responsible for the guy who was taking the subway and going bowling in NYC too? Good grief.
You want more? How about this. Instead of relying on every Tom, Dick, and Harry hospital to treat Ebola patients, a rations national plan would be to quickly isolate, then move Ebola patients to one of the hospitals you cited, that is trained, equipped, and has experience. If we can fly Ebola patients from Africa here, surely we could airlift a US Ebola case to Emory, etc. One or two medical jets on standby and it's covered. But, instead, now we're screwing around with another experiment in NYC of all places.
Maybe someone should ask Obama's Ebola Czar about that, but we can't No one has seen or heard of him since his appointment. The world wants to know, where is Flounder? You know, the dopey, fat freshman from Animal House, who's now Obama's Ebola Czar.

Sure. Go figure. Obama and you libs refuse to institute a common sense ban on non-essential travel. One that all the polls show two thirds of Americans want. So, we have infected Africans showing up here to hospitals that are unprepared and have no experience handling Ebola. And it's all Perry's fault.
I suppose it's Perry's fault that the CDC told that Dallas nurse to get on a plan in Ohio, even though she felt like crap and had a fever?

No, anywhere, idiot. How many people need to die for your phony, BS, political correctness and alleged racism? And for the record, the African country's leaders, not us white boys, issued the emergency decrees on cremation. Maybe they should issue a decree to stop folks over there from eating monkeys and bats too. But, heh, they shouldn't impinge on anyone's culture, right?

No, you're just stupid, as usual. So far, they have a tiny hot house that grew the special, genetically modified plants. It's in no way connected to the tobacco industry, nor is there any reason for a rational person to think that it ever would be. But of course that excludes you.

But the governor of Texas is responsible for the (lowest ranked) health care system in his state. You damn conservatives will always take credit for a favorable outcome when you had nothing to do with it and you'll blame everyone when the outcome is unfavorable when only your fingerprints on it.

yes it means I was 4 percentiles higher than you

as opposed to Governor Perry over-steps when it suits him to push his conservative agenda? you know, the one that created the worst health care system in the United States
When it

And who would this expert be? Someone with links to Zmapp?
On Saturday, October 25, 2014 11:45:51 PM UTC-4, Malcom Mal Reynolds wrote:

You're such an imbecile. There are plenty of highly qualified people available with skills in healthcare, disease control, program management, etc to choose from. You just toss out nonsense, because there is no explanation for OBama choosing a politcal hack, with none of the requisite experience. Even Democrats are openly saying it was a huge mistake. It does show how Obama views the whole thing. He doesn't see it as a medical emergency that concerns the security of the USA. He views it as a political correctness event, where a politcal hack spin doctor is required as czar. And BTW, where is the czar? He missed the first big WH meeting on a Sat night, about 2 days after his appointment. He just missed another one. Anyone seen or heard from him?
You want to make this a partisan issue. It's not. Look at what Andrew Cuomo, Christie, and the IL gov all did. They instituted a mandatory quarantine on anyone entering their states with contact with anyone who has Ebola. That was in response to the CDC and the irreponsible doctor with Ebola, traveling around NYC. Two of the 3 are Democrats. Cuomo stated "The CDC procedures are inadequate."
On Sat, 25 Oct 2014 20:45:43 -0700, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"

You are without a doubt an idiot. Every state governor is responsible for the lowest ranked and highest ranked hospital or anything else that is managed by the state.
You still haven't answered my question "I sure would like you to explain how that was caused by the governor."
On 10/26/2014 11:37 AM, Gordon Shumway wrote:

Well, it's not exactly a question, but I get your drift. I am sure he has an answer. The problem is it won't make any more sense than anything else he has said so far. Why punish yourself?
In article

No breaches do far. The history of Ebola is filled with stories of people who kept to the protocols and still got infected (as is HIV, MRSA, flu, etc). You deal with people shit happens. Also, I would suggest that the problems at Texas were largely related to a learning curve with a new disease. This is is shown by the major changes in protocols instituted by the CDC based on what was learned in TX. Finally, this is a VERY small sample to be making any kind of indictments of any system. Finally (this is really the final statement) this statement is at least as dumb as the ones suggesting it is Obama's fault and another indication of the idiocy involved at all levels when injecting rabid political leanings into a scientific debate.

Yeah. Following the CDC protocols in place at the time does shed some reason to be concerned about vaunted regulatory environment.. at least at the federal level.

but what they conceal is vital.?
On Sunday, October 26, 2014 11:39:36 AM UTC-4, Kurt Ullman wrote:

A major difference though is that with diseases like HIV, there were only a handful of healthcare workers who were accidentally infected on the job while the number of patients was many orders of magnitude greater. And that in virtually all those cases, the worker knew how they got infected, eg stuck themselves with a needle. In the case of Ebola, somehow it's very easy for the healthcare workers to get infected and most have no idea what they did wrong.

Ebola isn't Obama's fault. But the lack of a ban on non-essential travel from West Africa, which would have prevented Duncan from ever entering here, surely is. It's also his fault that the CDC is in chaos and he's the one that just appointed the political hack as Ebola czar. He's been MIA for two weeks now. It's being treated as a political correctness event, requiring a spin doctor, not someone to coordinate a real national policy and response.
On 10/26/2014 11:39 AM, Kurt Ullman wrote:

Shit happens??!? Coming from an RN, that ain't a scientific explanation. It is sad that closing borders and quarantining health-care workers turned into political nonsense. The TV coverage from Africa, for weeks, showed people dressed in hazmat suits, stepping into buckets of bleach, etc. First clue that protocols weren't followed was docs and nurse from Africa who caught Ebola.
One news program....AlJazeera?....yesterday had an interview with someone expert, don't recall who, who said ONE VIRUS PARTICLE can spread Ebola. THAT makes it possible to spread by "airborne" means; that gets into semantics, because most take "airborne" to mean exhaling by one person, inhaling by another. The nurses interviewed who described caring for the first guy in texas were suited up, skin exposed, sweating buckets, and cleaning up diarrhea and vomitus that hit the walls.

AMEN! All the vaunted pols and disease experts have apparently forgotten what they have read about hospital acquired infections in the US, which has been a huge problem for decades, and ICU's being the worst place to be.
It is ignorant and very dangerous to make Ebola management a liberal vs conservative issue. It is healthcare workers who are spreading it around to some extent, and the latest doc who came home and promptly went touring around public places is a good example of what not to do. The nurse bellyaching about being in quarantine is a problem too. She's got a lawyer; If professionals come back from Africa, they would show wisdom by voluntary isolation, or with facilities over there for observation until they clear.
Nowhere, yet, in all the discussion, have I heard mention of Ebola becoming endemic in the US as it is in Africa.....but, flush contaminated waste down many sewers, get some rats eating waste, carry to other wild or domestic animals..........that is where it hides in Africa, mainly bats, rats and monkeys.

On Monday, October 27, 2014 11:29:06 AM UTC-4, NorMinn wrote:

It's not true that we know for sure that it's because protocols were not followed. The other possibility is that the specified protocols from WHO, CDC are inadequate.

That's true of any viral disease. It's just that the more virus, the higher the probability of getting infected. I think maybe what you really mean here is that with Ebola the concentration of virus is much higher. I heard that with HIV, there are like 1 mil particles in 1 ml of typical fluids. With Ebola, it's 10bil.
THAT makes it possible to spread by "airborne" means; that gets

Exactly, I agree. It's been demonstrated that airborne droplets tranmit Ebola from pigs to primates. Also a whole lab full of monkeys here contracted Ebola in the 90s. They were in the same room, but separate cages.

I mostly agree. I don't see elected Republicans running around blasting Obama over his handling of it. They've been mostly quiet. And you have Christie, joined by Cuomo and the Democrat governor of IL in imposing quarantines. The policial part comes from Obama's refusal to institute a ban on non-essential travel from West Africa. And his appointment of a political hack, with no healthcare or scientific background, who is MIA, as his Ebola czar. I see the first as an example of political correctness over the safety of Americans. The second is an example of putting in a political, partisan spin doctor. So, I don't see saying Obama is dead wrong on those two as partisan. And even that, I haven't heard many elected Republicans saying a whole lot.
On 10/29/2014 9:11 AM, trader_4 wrote:

CY: It's my guess that most nurses know a bit about microbes (well, the US trained ones). And most of the nurses in USA wish to remain healthy and alive. I'd guess that the nurses carefully followed the protocols. Which suggests inadequate, as you wrote.

CY: I keep wondering if "czar" is an office which is mentioned in the US Constitution, and does the POTUS have the Constitutional authority to appoint Czars? Isn't that a Russian communist term, comrade?
On Sun, 26 Oct 2014 16:12:02 -0400, Stormin Mormon

Our liar-in-chief appointed czars so he could bypass Congress knowing many of his far left ideologues wouldn't have a snowball's chance in hell getting approved. Your inclusion of the word "yet" is appropriate and frightening.
On 10/26/2014 5:24 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:

You know, comrade, our Dear Leader has promised that if we like our Constitution we can keep....
We've not had any signs of Soviet regime like door to door forced searches like the ones in Boston, or seizing money out of bank accounts. http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/law-lets-irs-seize-accounts-on-suspicion-no-crime-required/ar-BBbbfW3
Per Stormin Mormon:

In one interview I heard, the statement was made that something like half of the arrivals from Ebola problem areas are U.S. citizens who went there to work on something-or-other and are returning home.... and that, as U.S. citizens, they could not be denied re-entry.
--
Pete Cresswell

On 10/26/2014 5:42 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Just tell the TSA they are Republicans.
I suspect there is some other agenda. When otherwise intelligent people do stupid things, there is an agenda. I don't have any insider information, but that's my guess.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Actually I could have worded it better. The quoted question was asked just higher in this thread and he still hasn't answered it. I know if he ever does answer it will be bull shit but I still enjoy poking the turd whit a stick. P-)