OT: Ebola, interesting NBC story on how big business dealt with it

Page 1 of 8  
Ran across this and thought it was interesting. It's about how Firestone in Liberia quickly reacted to a case where one of their worker's spouses contracted Ebola and how they quickly stopped it from spreading. You can look at this at many levels, from private companies vs big govt, to capitalism works, etc. But it shows a good example where a big company, that certain folks think are evil, did the right thing and saved lives. At the same time, the big govt, one world response agencies, ie WHO have been screwing this for almost a year now and have most likely lost the African continent.
http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/ebola-virus-outbreak/beating-ebola-one-companys-fight-liberia-shows-how-do-it-n230961
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 10/22/2014 7:37 AM, trader_4 wrote:

Well, now we have a model of a success. Thanks for sharing.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Wed, 22 Oct 2014 04:37:13 -0700 (PDT), trader_4

The fact that the private sector is capable of doing a job faster, with less cost and with higher quality has been demonstrated time and again across the world. The problem we have here today is our president refuses to go against his misguided beliefs. Only until the public outcry is deafening will he change course, and then only as little as possible to reduce the outcry to a "manageable" level.
A recent example of this is him finally relenting to an air campaign against ISIS. Not until our generals informed us how much ISIS had evolved from a JV squad to a formidable opponent did he agree to a military action. This action is so restricted by Obama that there has been little harm to ISIS and their advance, although reduced, has continued.
If only Obama hated terrorists as much as he hates FOX News.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Wednesday, October 22, 2014 10:01:32 AM UTC-4, Gordon Shumway wrote:

One wonders how deafening the outcry has to be. All the polls show that about two thirds of Americans want a ban on non-essential travel from West Africa. Yet, Obama refuses to do that because of his misguided beliefs. Aside from the fact that it's the right thing to do, you would think he'd come to the right conclusion based on political survival. If he bans travel, the downside is very limited. Only a few kooks will get upset. On the other hand, with his current policy, if we have another episode where someone like Duncan comes in and we have more Americans infected, dead Americans, etc, he will get all the blame and rightly so. The number of infected in Africa is doubling every 3 weeks. It's only a matter of time until we have another traveller showing up here.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 10/22/2014 10:09 AM, trader_4 wrote:

It's all part of an agenda. Sadly, the agenda is not even close to the US voter's desires.
- . Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus www.lds.org .
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 10/22/2014 10:00 AM, Gordon Shumway wrote:

Wonder if someone can convince O that Fox News is behind ISIS?
- . Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus www.lds.org .
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 10/22/2014 10:00 AM, Gordon Shumway wrote:

Painting the "private sector" as entirely motivated and competent is using too broad a brush....the hospital in Texas is "private sector" and totally f---ed up! Of course, they had bad information from the CDC; I would refer you to Fauchi and how the AIDS epidemic was mismanaged by Reagan. Of course, it was only gay men to begin with and didn't matter until it began spreading through blood transfusions.
Firestone essentially was operating like a government, with the added benefit of being wealthy, educated, and having a vested interest in keeping employees alive and healthy.

So, we want to get into another middle-east war before we pay off Bush's trillion-dollar fuck-up? And let's get some Americans shot down by ISIS and decapitated on TV......the whole Petraeus social-work type of war is BS; saving civilians who will not protect their country while our young people get their balls blown off is insane. Libya, Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan have dictators for good reason....it is not Islam against the west, it is tribe against tribe with ancient hostilities that will not end any time soon.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

yes, we should implement air campaigns against and outbreak instead of hoping the locals will take control of their situation...isn't local control a mainstay of the tea party?

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Wednesday, October 22, 2014 1:25:49 PM UTC-4, Malcom Mal Reynolds wrote:

Air campaign? No, just a ban on non-essential travel to/from West Africa. Easy to implement, just pull visas and deny new visas. In fact, a couple of African countries have now instituted travel restrictions on travelers from the USA and Spain, because we have a few cases. Mexico and Belize denied that cruise ship the right to dock because one person on board, with no symptoms, was a lab worker who just handled lab samples. But heh, according to Obama and the libs, we should keep the welcome mat out here for West Africa, where there have been 10,000 cases.
You libs can"hope" that the locals over there will take control of their situation. So far, the locals plus the WHO have had total failure and they are constantly months behind the curve. It's exponential, doubling every 3 weeks. There is no plan, including Obama's building sending troops to build 17 facilities. They will each hold 100 patients. There are thousands of patients right now, it's doubling every 3 weeks. Do the math.
And favoring local and state control over federal in the USA has nothing to do with handling an international situation like this. This concerns the health and national security of the entire country, it's a federal issue as to who is allowed to enter and once again Obama is failing to do his job. His latest appointment of a political hack, with no experience in health, medicine, epidemics, is proof of what he thinks the answer is. He thinks it's just an issue that needs more political spin.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

yes against those JV squads
No, just a ban on non-essential travel to/from West Africa.

as opposed to his nomination for Surgeon General that would normally be the "Ebola Czar" except the repugs won't vote/confirm him

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Wednesday, October 22, 2014 2:24:40 PM UTC-4, Malcom Mal Reynolds wrote:

Wrong again. No one can vote for Obama's choice for Surgeon General because Harry Reid has that stuffed in his drawer too and won't bring it up for discussion and a vote. That drawer is mighty full now. Everything goes in, nothing comes out. And the reason he won't allow the discussion and vote isn't because of the Republicans, it's because he knows a lot of Democrats won't vote to confirm either, because they are from states where the NRA has a lot of voters. He wants those Democrats and the whole Democratic party to be able to avoid having to take a position before the election. Then he's hoping that after the election, enough weasel Dems may then be willing to vote for it. But I wouldn't bet on it. Obama's influence is gone. The Senate will be in Republican control come January too. Then we can get to all those bills hidden in Harry's drawers.
Have a problem with it, take it up with Harry.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Per Gordon Shumway:

I don't know anybody who hates Fox news.
A lot of people who make fun of it... but I've never heard hatred expressed - against any news outlet. Maybe it's just me...
--
Pete Cresswell

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
In article

lead agency. BTW: There is an acting SG, Rear Admiral (RADM) Boris D. Lushniak, M.D., M.P.H. Sorta hard to suggest on two fronts that lack of an SG had anything to do with this.
--
?Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive,
but what they conceal is vital.?
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

more liberals journalists have been targeted by the Gov't than conservative journalists will ever be targeted.
the same is true of people with non-mainstream political beliefs. good ole tail-gunner Joe was especially virulent

shooting is work place violence...you are just someones daily humor
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
In article

That is more because of market share. You have so many more liberal journalists.

Shooting related to the workplace is workplace violence. The guy getting canned and coming back and shooting up the place is workplace violence. A person who shoots up the place for other reasons and just happens to do it in the workplace is not.
--
?Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive,
but what they conceal is vital.?
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

so the free market doesn't work for conservatives?

which in no way alters what I wrote
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
In article

well. Fox News kicks all other Cable TV news stations buttocks. In other markets (such as reporters for major newspapers or TV), there is a different context and the demand by the buyers (publishers and managing editors) is more for the liberal side. You should have realized that not all markets are the same. I am guessing from this and other indicators, that you pretty much slept through your Econ classes. (Easy enough to do)

Of course it does. You say it is work place violence. You don't mention that it is anything else. To say it is workplace violence puts it in a whole other area than terrorism, which is pretty much why the Administration is trying to ignore the other part and call it only WPV
--
?Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive,
but what they conceal is vital.?
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

what is it when you slap another and you scream Alla Akbar?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

nonetheless more liberal journalists have been targeted by the Gov't than conservative journalists will ever be targeted.

context, context, context...being shot in the workplace is workplace violence, the fact that it is done by a terrorist doesn't change that.
in any event I was referring to the part after the ellipsis
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
A less recent example was how Walmart quickly starting sending water and supplies to NOLA while the "disaster agencies" were still scratching their ass.
On Wed, 22 Oct 2014 09:00:38 -0500, Gordon Shumway

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.