OT. EBAY hacked.

Page 1 of 2
There is a notice on their homepage saying all users should change their passwords.
On 5/22/2014 5:28 AM, Dean Hoffman > wrote:

Actually, there is NO SUCH MESSAGE on their home page nor in any messaging to their registered users as of 5:55AM, CDST, today.
If you, Dean, received an email notifying you of this "hack" I suspect that you were duped by a phishing expedition and have given up your own password to ebay.

clicked a couple links to look at some listings. That part seems to be working also. I didn't receive emails about the hack. I typed Ebay hack into Bing search. There are several references to it. Among those is CNN, MSN, and ABC. It's possible they've all been duped.
On 5/22/2014 6:09 AM, Dean Hoffman > wrote:

My apologies... I see what you mean about everybody and their brother talking it up.
Still, I looked high and low on ebay.com and there was no obvious mention made of a problem UNTIL I clicked on my personal account and attempted to modify my password. Only THEN did a box pop up suggesting that I change my password due to the hack.
Stupid Ebay<g>

Ebay isn't the stupid one here. The notice appears, very prominently, at the top of the page as soon as www.ebay.com loads.
On Thu, 22 May 2014 12:31:03 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller

My saved password logged me in at the same time the page came up, but I also didn't have to try to modify my password.
At the same time the first screen came up, it included a big orange, black, and white box that said IMPORTANT PASSWORD UPDATE. To protect the security and privacy of our customers we're asking all Ebay users to reset their passwords. Learn more.
So what might happen to me if I don't do so? I have id/password combinations and I can't think too much today.
BTW, the news was on NPR too.
4ax.com:

What might happen if you don't? If you don't have a strong password, it's entirely possible that it will be decoded, someone will log in to your ebay account, and buy a boatload of stuff on your PayPal.
On Thu, 22 May 2014 13:33:08 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller

Ebay said that Paypal passwords hadn't been hacked.
There's a close connection between ebay and paypal on our computers, because when we click on the paypal button, it loads, from one's own computer, the paypal userid and password. But hackers' computers don't do that. They only have what they've stolen. They don't know what paypal account is usually used with what ebay account.
Right?
On Thursday, May 22, 2014 9:58:05 AM UTC-4, micky wrote:

When you buy something on Ebay it takes you straight to Paypal to pay for it, so of course they are going to know the Paypal account. If you have a different PWD for Paypal, then they won't be able to pay for it. But you'd still have the problem of dealing with Ebay over undoing the bogus purchases, etc. And also, most people use the same PWD for multiple accounts. They could try using your PWD from Ebay to gain access to other places that they could try to access using what they know or can guess about you.
On 05/22/2014 05:31 AM, Doug Miller wrote:

Maybe for you it does, but not for me.
Jon

Got javascript disabled in your browser?
Doug Miller wrote:

Doesn't come up for me either , with a clean install of IE8 that's never been tweaked . Nor with the Firefox browser that's my default .
--
Snag

On 05/22/2014 09:15 AM, Doug Miller wrote:

Nope.
On 5/22/2014 7:31 AM, Doug Miller wrote:

[snip]

Thanks for the ad hominem attack, Doug. You're in fine form today.
FWIW, I attempted to view the message to which you refer, three separate times, doing a manual log-in so that I would not chance blowing by the message on the www.ebay.com site. No message/warning ever showed up until, as I said, I attempted to change my password.
Now, almost twelve hours later, I go to www.ebay.com and lo and behold there is the message prominently displayed, as you said, on the main page. Can't miss it and I DIDN'T miss it this morning because it wasn't there.
Since I'm on the same internet connect (static IP address), the same computer (that has not been rebooted) and the same iteration of Firefox, perhaps the problem was that the message had not made its way through Ebay's server farm and I was hitting on a server that had yet to be updated. I dunno but I do know it wasn't there when I diligently looked for it this morning and your insinuation notwithstanding I'm not stupid or blind.
On 5/22/2014 8:31 AM, Doug Miller wrote:

emailed the users to alert them. (They think nothing of sending mother email, so it's not like they have something against email). I just tried logging out and then going to the main site and didn't get a message, so I'm not sure if the message only shows for registered users? (Or maybe it's a cookie thing). I usually go to the site and don't bother to log in unless I see something I want to watch.
I read about the hack early this morning. I haven't gotten my "followed" searches for two days, so went to check out their online forum to see if anyone else was complaining, and that's when I saw mention of the problem. And then when I went to my account, that's when I got the on screen message.
On Thu, 22 May 2014 18:22:18 -0700 (PDT), trader_4

It takes you straight to paypal based on the Paypal email address and password that is stored in the customer's computer. Of course they could keep track of that, but they havent said that they do.

I do have a different password.

If that turns out to be a problem, I'll remind them that it's the fault of their low security that they were hacked. And I have two more Ebay id's i can use in the meantime.

They could try it, but I don't use the same pswd for any two things.

I certainly don't use my birthday. The thought never occurred to me.
On Friday, May 23, 2014 7:48:57 AM UTC-4, micky wrote:

I don't think so. I've logged on to Ebay from PC's that are not mine, bought things, and it takes me straight to my Paypal account to log in, just like it does on my own PC. Also, when I've done a system restore, starting out with a clean PC, I haven't seen a difference. I'm pretty sure the Paypal account ID is stored at Ebay.
Of course they

Just by the way it works, it sure seems to me they do.

Yes, I'm sure it can be straightened out, but the point is it's just one more hassle if they get into your account, start ordering stuff, etc.
http://www.ebay.com/reset?_trkparms=clkid%3D7101359271365881734
eBay Important Password Update Reset Your Password eBay Inc. Information Site Keeping Our Buyers and Sellers Safe and Secure on eBay
On Wednesday, we announced that we are asking all eBay users to change their password. This is because of a cyberattack that compromised our eBay user database, which contained your encrypted password.
We take security on eBay very seriously, and we want to ensure that you feel safe and secure buying and selling on eBay. So we think it’s the right thing to do to have you change your password. And we want to remind you that it’s a good idea to always use different passwords for different sites and accounts. If you used your eBay password on other sites, we are encouraging you to change those passwords, too.
Here’s what we recommend you do the next time you visit eBay:
Take a moment to change your password. This will help further protect you; it’s always a good practice to periodically update your password. Millions of eBay users have already updated their passwords. Remember to always use different passwords on different sites and accounts. If you haven’t done this yet, take the time to do so.
Meanwhile, our team is committed to making eBay as safe and secure as possible. We are looking at other ways to strengthen security on eBay. In the coming days and weeks we may be introducing new security features. We’ll keep you updated as we do.
Thanks for your support and cooperation. eBay is your marketplace, and we are committed to keeping it one of the world’s safest places to buy and sell.
Devin Wenig
President, eBay Marketplaces Copyright © 1995-2014 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved. User Agreement, Privacy and Cookies.

There certainly is. If you've disabled Javascript, you won't see it though.
Doug Miller wrote:

They have a message service that sends me "offers" frequently , I wonder why they didn't share this important info with all users thru that system ... I did change mine after checking it out .
--
Snag