OT: Ebay experts

Page 2 of 2
On Tuesday, August 16, 2016 at 5:10:50 PM UTC-4, Micky wrote:

Seems I said it was PP right there.

How are you so sure that you won't get stuck with the additional $105 in shipping? I would not have shipped it until I had full payment for all shipping costs.
On Tuesday, August 16, 2016 at 5:19:57 PM UTC-4, Don Wiss wrote:

Because per Ebay's global shipping program, I'm only responsible for the shipping to Ebay, which was $10, and the buyer paid me that already. The total shipping and customs was $70, the other $60 is between Ebay and the buyer, not me. I presume Ebay already has the money for that, because I don't think they are dumb enough to ship something without getting it upfront.
It's on it's way via FedEx this morning. I'll let you all know what happens. I also sent an email to the buyer, letting them know. Thought that might be a good idea, just to see if any response comes back.

I have bought a couple things from the UK that were part of the Global Shipping Program. As noted elsewhere in this thread, one is sitting now at Kennedy Airport. I only paid the seller upfront. When paying it was clear that I was covering all costs in getting it here. Here's one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/302044421546
On Tuesday, August 16, 2016 at 7:47:34 PM UTC-4, Don Wiss wrote:

If you only pay the seller upfront and not Ebay for the rest of the shipping costs, when and how does Ebay collect the rest from you, the buyer? In this case, those other fees $60 are half the total cost. If Ebay doesn't collect upfront, how do they avoid a new buyer, like my guy, with no history, stiffing them after he gets the item?

They don't. Everything I paid upfront to the buyer covered the item and all shipping charges. The previous example was an item for sale. Here is the item that I bought and received:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/272315181173?orig_cvip=true
I paid GBP 60 for the item and GBP 16.52 to ship. All upfront. The letter carrier delivered it with the mail.

I dunno.
On Tuesday, August 16, 2016 at 8:55:44 PM UTC-4, Don Wiss wrote:

First, you obviously mean "seller" above, not buyer.
What you're not getting is that with global shipping, everything you paid upfront to the seller, doesn't include the international shipping and customs. The seller doesn't get that, never sees it. That money goes to Ebay and/or the international shipping agent they use that handles that part of the transaction. Which is why I keep saying that all the money I have is for the item plus the US shipping to get it to the EBay intl shipping facility. If the seller sent me that money, what would I do with it? I don't know what it's costing, what the customs charges are, I'm not paying that portion, etc. Presumably Ebay and/or their agent has the other portion because, like you said, the buyer has to pay for it all upfront.

I see your point now. Let me dissect my recent transaction:
I made a total payment of 76.52 GBP:
1 Unit Price: 60.00 GBP Total: 60.00 GBP Shipping and handling: 4.30 GBP Total: 64.30 GBP Payment: 64.30 GBP This charge will appear on your credit card statement as "PAYPAL *BLACKWELL61"
International shipping: Total: 12.22 GBP Payment: 12.22 GBP This charge will appear on your credit card statement as "PAYPAL *PITNEYBOWES"
So it will appear as two charges. When my credit card statement arrives.
On Wednesday, August 17, 2016 at 10:34:36 AM UTC-4, Don Wiss wrote:

K, that confirms what I thought, which is Ebay and/or the shipping agent must have the rest of the upfront payment. I only see the one payment to me for the item cost and my US shipping.
It's on it's way, left the FedEx facility on it's way to KY.

Correct. This is the way most ebay shipping is handled. Pitney Bowes then offloads the shipment to Purolator, UPS, or the postal service for final stage delivery. For international shipments they look after the brokerage.
On Wednesday, August 17, 2016 at 4:39:23 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Say what? I've bought and sold a lot of stuff on Ebay. It apparently only works "that way", ie two separate charges, when the item is part of Ebay's global shipping program. From what I see, Don agrees. Boy, just when it seems we have agreement, here comes Clarabell to muddle it all up again.

trader_4 is correct. You have to sign up for the Global Shipping Program. Some of the antique boxes I've bought from the UK eBay were shipped via Royal Mail. Then all goes to the seller. And as the name implies, the Global Shipping Program is only for international shipments.
My Paypal messages come all jumbled up with no carriage returns. I had missed that split payment bit.
On Wednesday, August 17, 2016 at 6:30:24 PM UTC-4, Don Wiss wrote:
My Norway shipment has arrived at the Ebay global shipper in KY and has been labeled and readied for intl shipping.
On 8/19/16 12:49 PM, trader_4 wrote:

Thanks for sharing.
On Fri, 19 Aug 2016, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Now your package starts its mystery travel. My small antique box from England arrived today. This was the tracking of the second leg:
Sub-contractor received                22:02 Thu 18 Aug 2016 BST Elec Advice recd by carrier            18:05 Wed 17 Aug 2016 BST In transit                    17:14 Wed 17 Aug 2016 BST In transit                    16:51 Wed 17 Aug 2016 BST Sub-contractor received                16:37 Wed 17 Aug 2016 BST In transit AIRLINE:/FLIGHT:/AWB:        04:49 Wed 17 Aug 2016 BST Customs cleared                 19:54 Mon 15 Aug 2016 BST Elec Advice recd by carrier            18:14 Mon 15 Aug 2016 BST In transit AIRLINE:AA/FLIGHT:107/AWB:001-83874976 13:39 Mon 15 Aug 2016 BST In transit ELZ_LOWDER201608150002        09:32 Mon 15 Aug 2016 BST In transit                     07:04 Mon 15 Aug 2016 BST Despatched DESPATCHED                07:00 Mon 15 Aug 2016 BST Awaiting Despatch                 06:26 Mon 15 Aug 2016 BST In transit                     05:11 Mon 15 Aug 2016 BST
You will see that never is the package's location disclosed. I looked up AA Flight 107. It flies between London and JFK. As I live in Brooklyn, it doesn't make sense that it had another flight after that. So I presume that second flight is bogus.
It was delivered by my mail carrier, but the delivery isn't shown above. There is a USPS tracking number on it, but that apparently doesn't flow back to the wnDirect tracking.
On Friday, August 19, 2016 at 1:42:55 PM UTC-4, Don Wiss wrote:

Well, in my case it is disclosed. Just checked and my former TV stand is being loaded on a 777, AF11 at JFK right now. Departing in less than an hour for Paris. So, it went from NJ to Kentucky, then back to JFK. Now I can watch it takeoff on Flightradar24! Wow, what an age we live in!
On Saturday, August 20, 2016 at 9:09:53 PM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:

So, for the few people interested, here's the latest. It took a long time for the TV stand to get from Paris to Finland. Finland is where it was going, I incorrectly said Norway in an earlier post. Monday it was out for delivery, then it showed "Delivery round was delayed, delivery process planned for next round". That is all it's said since then. That's not what I wanted to hear, I was hoping it would be delivered and done. It of course raises the concern that something isn't right, which I suspected when someone bought and paid $120 total for a used Sony TV stand. But meantime the money is still in my Paypal account, no issue has been raised, etc. The strangeness just continues... I guess the person could be on vacation or something.
On Thursday, September 1, 2016 at 10:28:17 AM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:

So, as of now the TV stand I sold on Ebay has been in Finland for over a week since they first tried to make the delivery. It was last Monday that it showed it was out for delivery, then Tues it said delivery delayed, scheduled for next round. Nothing after that. Sure looks like something isn't right here. Meanwhile enough time has expired so that Paypal has released the funds and they are now available to me. Doubt that makes much difference. Still no idea what could be going on, unless they are on a long vacation or something. Strange, very strange.
<stuff snipped>

They are better businessmen than the cabinetmakers Trump allegedly stiffed.
(-:
--
Bobby G.