OT Eating slime and scrape.

We recently found-out that we were being fed slime and now we find out that= we=92ve been eating scrape as well.=20

recyclebinned

we?ve been eating scrape as well.

I don't think there was any problem with "pink slime" other than some asshole TV chef calling it that.

OTOH, I think eating raw fish is stupid. More people get sick from it than eating chicken or beef because it is more easily contaminated.

Reply to
Frank

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:7891446.307.1334503888294.JavaMail.geo- discussion-forums@ynmf4:

IMHO, anyone who gets sick after eating raw fish has nobody to blame but himself.

Reply to
Doug Miller

It was a scientist at the FDA that came up with Pink Slime. The TV chef only brought it to the attention of the public. Until recently, that stuff was not allowed for human consumption and was used in pet food. Magically, one day ammoniated beef is OK to eat.

I'll agree there.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I always buy ground beef that I expect to be ground "that day". I don't want filler that came from a couple of states away. If the store adds filler they need to be completely up front about it.

Reply to
gonjah

That's not the way it is decided.

Ammonia is considered GRAS by the FDA and used in lots of food products:

Frank

You can have my share. The Canadians were smart enough to prohibit it. It is so safe it is not allowed to be sold to us directly. Yeah, I want to eat that for sure.

term "pink slime" was coined in 2002 by Gerald Zirnstein, who at that time was a microbiologist for the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) Food Safety and Inspection Service,[6] but some state officials have objected to the nickname, saying that "lean, finely textured beef is the proper name."[10] In the United States, the additive itself cannot legally be sold directly to consumers, but can constitute up to 15% of ground beef without additional labeling,[8] and can also be added to other meat products such as beef-based processed meats.[8] Prior to the invention of the disinfection process, beef scraps could only be sold as pet food or as an ingredient for cooking oil.[4]

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Criminently! You're here because your not so long ago ancestors ate rotten meat, slugs, and anything they could get their hands on. It was only the last generation that did essentially the same thing out on the farm.

Get over yourself.

Everyone dies of something. You'll probably choke to death on some huge bite of pork.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

The woman that approved it for human use ended up on the board of directors for some meat group with a huge salary to go with it.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Jamie Oliver

These people had second thoughts on eating sausage made fresh. Very fresh

Ed Pawlowski