OT: E-payment due dates

I pay all my bills online; mostly using Quicken.

Lately I've noticed many of the due dates fall on Saturday or Sunday. Since quicken won't pay a bill on a non-business day, I have to set the pay date to Friday.

Seems like a probably legal but somewhat sneaky way for the companies to meet the letter of giving you XX grace period days, yet still get their money a day or two early.

Anybody else noticed this?

Paul F.

Reply to
Paul Franklin

Paul Franklin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

There's a Quicken newsgroup (or used to be). More likely to get many informed responses.

Reply to
Red Green

I had a bank agent tell me that they were counting weekends now for penalty payments. Must be that big hope and change BeeHO promised us.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Yes, and it sucks!

Lou

Reply to
LouB

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Paul Franklin spewed forth:

Stop looking at it as them getting their money a few days early and look at it as being the last possible day to make your payment. If your paying a credit card, it's going to save you some interest paying it early and if it's utilities, it's for the prior month anyway. I pay bills on the 1st and 15th regardless of their due date. YMMV

Reply to
ChairMan

What does Obama have to do with penalties on your credit card account? Want him to pay yer bills?

Reply to
norminn

Been raining around here a lot recently. I guess some people would blame this on Obama too.

Reply to
Sanity

Paul Franklin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

February is exactly 4 weeks, so you will have this phenomenon twice in a row, if it happens. I have told most accounts to take their payments automagically, on the due date if possible. Then it is up to them to do it, and no penalties for me, and no bother other than making sure the money is available. So far that's not been a problem for me. I know I'm lucky in that regard.

Reply to
Han

About 20 years ago, utility companies allowed 30 days to pay your bill. Now, most of them allow only two weeks. To pay electronically, my local bank requires 5 business days to process the request so if that week contains a holiday my payment will be late. Banks like to delay for as long as possible too, unless they are the ones cashing the check. I now pay a bill the day I receive it to avoid any late charges. I have much less trust in banks today and keep balances lower than before, even though it is fully insured by our financially-responsible fabulous USA government.

Reply to
Phisherman

Of course not, it's GWB's fault. *snicker*

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

A businessman friend of a customer of mine had a Negro American woman quit the day BeeHO was elected. She stating to her astounded former coworkers that she would never have to work again or worry about paying any bills. Life is so entertaining in my wonderful country now run by wackos elected by the dumb masses. The wackos want to take over all the financial institutions in the US in order to gain more control over me and thee. They're going to help us whether we want them to or not. Save me BeeHO, pay all my bills for me! I don't wanna work no mo.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Especially with the inmates running the asylum now.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Oh good grief. Just set up ALL your payments through the "automatic pay on due date" online option with each creditor. They will take the payment on the due date with no possibility for late fees. You can set it up to pay: the minimum payment, the total amount due, a set amount each month, whatever you want. Now walk away and never worry about this again. Problem solved.

Do all or most outfits have such a thing?

Lou

Reply to
LouB

LouB wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com:

Let's see, automagically paid are: Amex MC Visa Discover PSE&G Verizon Mortgage Insurances

I have to pay real estate tax and water bill by check.

I think that's it.

Reply to
Han

Don't use credit cards. No bills. No problems.

Reply to
Me

No phone? No utilities? No mortgage? No insurance? No cable/ISP? etc., etc., etc. How can you have "no bills"? All of the above can be set up to pay automatically.

BUT do they all let you pay on the last possible date rather than when they send the bill?

Lou

Reply to
LouB

Umm, you set up the automatic payment (from your credit card, checking acct., whatever) for whatever day you want. Every creditor I have has an online option for "pay in full on the due date". It happens automatically. Why don't you know this?

"h" wrote in news:gr61va$ov6$ snipped-for-privacy@adenine.netfront.net:

Some companies have my payments set for the due date, others a few days earlier. Discover (which I used to really like) is one that takes payments almost a week before the due date.

Reply to
Han