OT Duplicate car key?

Page 2 of 2
On Wed, 14 May 2014 20:29:16 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

That's what I've read too, more than once, but the instructions for the 2000 Toyota didn't seem to care how many keys one already had, as long as there was one to turn the ignition on and off. I guess that one had to be working-chip-connected key.
And my friend with the Nissan Versa only had one key. I don't think he had a particulary hard time getting the second one to work. I can ask him.

Yes.
On Wed, 14 May 2014 22:52:31 -0400, Nil

The problem with my car, a 2000 Toyota, is that the fob receiver is broken, and I can't get the system to go into programming mode. It also would drain the battery. I bought a second hand one from Ebay, (40 instead of 350 dollars) and it appears to also be broken, in a different way. It doesn't drain the battery AT ALL (even though normally some current has to be used waiting for the driver to push the button on the fob)
So it's possible that another part in the car is preventing the key from getting programmed, though of course I'm not saying that's what' happening.

When I needed another chip key for a 2004 Toyota, the local Ace store was able to make a copy. I think it was less than $75, but don't recall.
The copy is a little bulkier than the original, since it has battery powered electronics. Ace can also replace the battery if it runs down. You might be able to replace it yourself if you can figure out how to get the key knob apart without breaking it.
I also had a non-chip copy made to keep in my wallet. It won't start the car, but will open the doors.
Fred

Basic transponder key. Fob is separate and controls door locks and beeps horn.

The programming of the key, such as that from your link, frightens me (everything frightens me!). I'm afraid of the key I have's programing being damaged and having no way to use my expensive car. All just for a backup key in case I lose the original. In some 65 years of driving I can't recall losing a car key. Locking it in the car, mis-laying it briefly yes, but never losing it. Confirmed worry-wart.

Let me put this more firmly. There already is a sensor of there would be no way to detect a chip key now. It's all connected to everything.          Use it.
wrote in

maybe it was the RIGHT ball.
alt.home.repair:

I look forward to testing your theory!

gulp! You DO know it is the vehicle owner's ball we are talking about, right?
<stuff snipped>

When thieves tried to steal my van, the RF key saved it, so I am happy to have it. But the repair shop only gave me ONE replacement key. That, in turn, made programming another impossible using the in-car method, which I found out only after buying a replacement key from Ebay for $12.
The in-car programming in my case requires the use of TWO original keys to program a third. I suspect that's a safety feature the prevents someone with temporary access to one key, like a valet parker, from cloning your key. Despite all the research I did, I didn't discover this "gotcha" until after the fact. The ACE guys said the key couldn't be programmed but I would have said that too since they charge about $80 to clone a key. I suspect he was actually telling the truth since my key looked much like the factory model and their keys are very much bigger.
--
Bobby G.

alt.home.repair:

Yes!
On 5/16/2014 8:32 PM, Nil wrote:

poster from a couple days ago and scratch whose uh, hmm, exactly?
--
.
Christopher A. Young