OT - drying rock salt

The church has a bucket about 2/3 full of rock salt, and water filling the bucket to just over the level of the rock salt.

I'm not sure if it's calcium salt, or sodium salt.

Any ideas to drying this out, and make it usable again? Or should I dump it in the trash dumpster, or something? List it on Recycle?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

When it does dry it will be a solid block...You could bust it up I guess...I would toss it...HTH..

Reply to
benick

Well, its not Sodium Chloride salt, or else it would have totally dissolved in the water... Could be Calcium or Magnesium...

Not worth even worth trying to "dry it out" as the water will have reacted with it making it a block of worthless white powder... Ice control chemicals are only effective when they are able to make their intended chemical reactions -- your ice melter being doused with water has chemically altered it in a way to make it useless...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

About the only thing you can do is spread it out and hope the lumps are not too big and can be broken apart. A 50# bag of rock salt is $8 so I'd not invest too much time on it.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

False. Sodium chloride is not infinitely soluble in water, and neither is any other solid. Google "saturated solution" for an explanation of the concept.

Or it could be good old NaCl.

Wrong again. Water doesn't react with salt, it just dissolves it. Evaporate the water, and you've got salt again.

Strike three. Having *anything* dissolved in water lowers its freezing point. Sodium and calcium salts are particularly effective at doing this because they dissolve easily. No chemical reaction of any sort is involved. It's just simple solubility.

Reply to
Doug Miller

For the cost of rock salt, that does sound wise.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

That's not encouraging.

I remember the solubility of sodium chloride isn't much. Certainly a splash of water in a bucket of crystals won't dissolve it all.

What is the detail of the altering? I th ought it was just salt on ice that made the melting.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

That's good advice. Now, suppose the stuff isn't worth saving. What to do with it?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

False. Sodium chloride is not infinitely soluble in water, and neither is any other solid. Google "saturated solution" for an explanation of the concept.

CY: I'm remembering 40 grams per liter? Sound right? The NaCL solubility doesn't vary much, with temperature.

Or it could be good old NaCl.

Wrong again. Water doesn't react with salt, it just dissolves it. Evaporate the water, and you've got salt again.

CY: I remember that salt is rather ionic. Tends to break into sodium ions, and chloride ions. But, dry it out and it's good old salt again.

Strike three. Having *anything* dissolved in water lowers its freezing point. Sodium and calcium salts are particularly effective at doing this because they dissolve easily. No chemical reaction of any sort is involved. It's just simple solubility.

CY: Much like glycol, or alcohol dissolves to change the freezing point. The dissolving may be trace exothermic, I can't remember. I remember that adding sulfuric acid to water is exothermic.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

How do you suppose the Great Salt Lake was formed? One bucket or bag at a time.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

I had that happen last year, by maybe august it didnt dry out so I chucked it in the trash.

Reply to
ransley

No, it sounds awfully low to me.

HCP says 35.7 grams per 100cc at zero degrees C, 39.2 grams per 100cc at 100 C (357 and 392 grams per liter respectively). [...]

Dissolving most things in water is endothermic -- that's why most substances dissolve more readily in hot water than in cold. Sulfuric acid is an exception.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Stormin Mormon wrote the following:

Toss it in the garbage, or drive to the coast and dump it in the ocean. What's so hard about getting rid of it? It's not nuclear waste.

Reply to
willshak

I could ship this bucket to SLC and they could go out on a boat, and pitch it in.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

That could happen, here, too. If left in the shed with little air circulation.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Ah..... grams per 100 cc. I knew there was something I was missing. Thanks.

I thought things dissolved in hot cause the carrying capacity was larger and the mollecules vibrate faster with heat.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Yeah, I'm making a big deal of a small deal. I just hate throwing out otherwise useful things.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

That's more or less the case. It requires energy to break the ionic bonds so that the salt can dissolve, and there's more energy available in hot water than there is in cold water.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Must be some way for you to make a battree out of it.

Reply to
Thomas

I had that happen last year, by maybe august it didnt dry out so I chucked it in the trash.

Me, too. I just moved it to a dry place, drilled holes in the bucket, and used an axe when I needed some. Did that about three times, and chucked it and went and bought a couple of bags for cheap, and took care of THOSE properly. Salt is cheap. Cheap. Cheap.

Steve

visit my blog at

watch for book

Steve B