OT: Doing Da Vinci

Anybody else see this new series on Discovery? Five minutes of the buffoon Flash Hopkins and I was ready to shoot my television. What a fucking loser that guy is.
Smitty Two wrote:

Didn't see it. I've been practicing staying awake in anticipation of Dan Brown's new book, "The Lost Symbol," due to be released September 15th. Reports are that the initial press run will be 5 million copies*.
Brown has spent five years in research and writing a book that covers a period of twelve hours!
Angles & Demons, the movie starring Tom Hanks, will be released May 15th.
The Da Vinci Code starred the Opus Dei. Angles & Demons focused on the Illuminati. Rumor suggests The Lost Symbol will deal with the Masons.
--------- * Ever wonder how much an author makes? For hardback books, the minimum royalty is usually 10% of the cover price. For well-known and proven authors, the royalty can go up to 15%. For subsequent paperback rights, up to 30% with the author and hardback publisher splitting the royalty. Then there's Book of the Month club, magazine serialization, foreign publication rights, subsidiary sales (such as action figures and games), and, of course, movie & TV rights.
Assuming the initial printing of 5 million sells double-quick, and guessing of a retail price of $24.95, yields a revenue stream directly to Brown of almost $19 million. Of course that has to be amortized over five years...
My heroine is J.K. Rowlings. She wrote the first Harry Potter book in long-hand while sitting in a public library. She didn't have much of a home, since she was on the dole with two small children. Now, she's the second-richest woman in the UK. Still remembering her tough financial times, however, she took additional steps toward financial security.
She married a dentist.
snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMgmail.com says...

I'm sure it varies, but I'm the author of a fairly expensive hard cover book, and the royalty begins at 10% of *monies received*. So if the book is discounted at 40% to major booksellers, the royalty begins at that reduced price.
And it gets cut in half for a variety of reasons: discounts over 45%, overseas sales, direct mail order sales, etc.
So my $40 book seldom generates a $4 royalty, it is usually more like ($40) x (50% discount) x (5% royalty) = $1
On the other hand, my publisher never remainders a book, so I'm still getting royalties after 15 years. Not much, though.
--
Dennis