OT: Do You Put Grease On Your Brake Caliper Bracket?

Page 1 of 2
Let's see if we can keep this simple and to the point. This really should need nothing more than a Yes or No answer.
To those of you that work on your own brakes or work on brakes for a living:
Do you put grease behind the pad clips in order to prevent rust build up on the caliber mounting bracket?
I am specifically (and only) asking about greasing the area that is pointed out in the following image:
https://www.topbrakes.com/images/brakeinstall/brake_change_caliper_bracket_rusty_big2.jpg
Thanks!
On Wednesday, June 15, 2016 at 8:22:37 AM UTC-7, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Only where the pad slides on the clip. Often new pads come with new clips STG

+1 What he said
DerbyDad03 was thinking very hard :

No, I don't put grease on the caliber mounting bracket. I do sometimes use copper grease on the pads though.

No.

No.

Yes I will!!

I'm getting confused. Which one of us is advocating what?
On 6/15/2016 11:22 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I suggest you also ask what the respondant's location, and if road salt is an issue. Mechanics in Arizona probably answer no, and salt and rust areas of the country answer yes.
Me: Yes. In NYS, where road salt is a major problem.

I put grease there so that the parts can move freely as they are supposed to.
On Wednesday, June 15, 2016 at 2:57:49 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Nothing moves in the area I am asking about.
On Fri, 17 Jun 2016 09:38:38 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

Actually, the pads do move against the frame a small amount and the inability to move causes noise and uneven wear. They would not provide sprinfs or slider plates if some movement was not required. Often the simple solution to a noisy disk brake is tro lube those little insignificant points where the pads neet the caliper frame.
On Friday, June 17, 2016 at 2:13:07 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Once again, I am not talking about the pads. The pads move against the *clip* in my application. Now, some may say that the clips also move against the bracket (is that what you [and only you] call the "frame"?) so there may be a need to lube between the clip and bracket.
However, the opinions on lube points vary, not just amongst DIY'ers and mechanics, but also amongst suppliers.
Some say you do not need to lubricate the pad tabs and that all it does is attract dirt.
Some say you only need to lube between the bracket and clip in geographical locations where rust is an issue. The manufacturer/refurbisher of the loaded calipers I bought (Centric) told me that lubrication is *not* required between the bracket and the clip. They ship their parts "Plug and Play" and there is no lubrication between the bracket and clip. Guess where Centric is located? California. Guess where I am located? In the rust belt. Guess what I am going to do?
On Fri, 17 Jun 2016 12:49:27 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

Anything that you remove and replace where rust interferes should get cleaned and lubed. I use anti-seize. With brakes you just make sure it won't foul the pads/shoes. That means not using enough where heat will cause it to run to where it gets flung.
On Fri, 17 Jun 2016 12:49:27 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

As a professional mechanic we always referred to that part as the "caliper frame" and often cursed when we had to use a file to remove the rust behind the clip before we could re-install the clip and the pads - when a bit of grease or anti-seize when it was assembled last time would have prevented the problem

Smart idea. Coastal california vehicles should be lubed too - as should anything that gets onto the dry lakebeds or salt-flats. Or any vehicle in Georgia , Florida, or Louisiana.
A little bit of grease/antiseize won't HURT, regardless where you are.
You don'tn thow on a fist-full - just a light swipe or smudge is all that is required.
On Friday, June 17, 2016 at 8:24:50 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Maybe it's a Canadian thing?
If I search autozone.com, autoanything.com, advanceauto.com, etc. for caliper frame, I get "No results found".
If I search autozone.com, autoanything.com, advanceauto.com, etc. for caliper bracket, I get all sorts of hits for the part I have always known as the caliper bracket.
If I Google "caliper frame" with the quotes, I get hits for motorcycle brake mounting hardware.
If I Google caliper frame without the quotes, I get all kinds of hits for caliper *brackets* with a couple of hits related to bicycles where the word frame shows up because of the *bicycle* frame, not the caliper mounting hardware. Google may use "frame" for their search, but the hits all call it a bracket.
If I search Google Images for caliper frame I get a mixture of pictures of bicycle brake parts and automotive brake parts.
If I search Google Images for caliper bracket the image results are almost exclusively of the part I have always known as the caliper bracket.
I gotta admit, I've have never heard anyone (DIY'er, professional or auto-parts rep or website, etc.) refer to the part as a "frame".
I'm sure we'll hear from others. I'm certainly curious.
On Fri, 17 Jun 2016 18:53:08 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

On my ranger I have both a "bracket" and a "frame". The "bracket" or "adapter" moves the caliper "frame" out about 7/8" to allow me to install 11 inch rotors in place of the original 10.25" rotors.

On Friday, June 17, 2016 at 10:33:39 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

...snip...
You are calling an adapter a "bracket" and what (I think)the rest of the world calls a bracket a "frame".
Can you provide a link or a part number for these 2 parts? I searched a few different parts sites for Ranger parts that might be something like what you are talking about and all I find is the everyday part that I call the "caliper bracket".
What year Ranger? What would I search for to find this adapter/bracket? What would I search for to find a caliper frame for a Ranger? Trust me, I've tried. A link or a part number would sure clear this up for me.

remove

caliper frame, I get "No results found".

caliper bracket, I get all sorts of hits for the part I have always known as the

brake

for

word

mounting

call

pictures of

almost exclusively of the part I have always known as the caliper bracket.

I pasted this into google and got some dealing with cars & bikes.... +"caliper frame" brakes
On Friday, June 17, 2016 at 11:09:34 PM UTC-4, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:

Sure, but follow some of the links and see which ones refer to the bracket as a frame.
This one discusses a "floating caliper frame" of a dual piston caliper, but they also refer to the caliper bracket as a separate part.
http://www.autozone.com/repairinfo/repairguide/repairGuideContent.jsp?pageId 00c152800c30a8
This site does call the "bracket" a frame, but go search for a "caliper frame" for a 1993 Mazda Miata at a parts site. I found a caliper bracket at more than one site, but not caliper frame.
http://www.miata.net/garage/fig2.jpg
I've yet to see a part listed at a parts site for a caliper frame. Again, it could be a Canadian thing.