(OT) Do the movie theaters use Film or Digital these days?

I could not find any other newsgroup to post this. I have not been to a movie theater in years, and just went to a movie last week. While I was there I got to wondering if they still use films to show those movies, or is it digital these days? Does anyone know? Just curious!
Thanks in advance
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Feb 18, 2:57 am, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

Both.
Google is our friend.
http://www.bigscreen.com/about/help.php?id=36
Add pictures here
βœ–

Both.
Google is our friend.
http://www.bigscreen.com/about/help.php?id6
Excellent and fun read!............... Bill H.
Add pictures here
βœ–
theres a black dot that automatically orders the projector system to change as reels of film come to a end. the black dot looks a little like a tear drop. its fast but visible on the screen.
as far as i know its not on digital versions of movies
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 2/18/2012 7:52 AM, bob haller wrote:

Absence of cueing isn't really a good indicator. The local 18 screen big box movie still uses film and the trailers, announcements, whatever and the movie are all spliced into one giant reel. The projectors are controlled by a system that also controls the lights etc.
Add pictures here
βœ–
George wrote:

from 2009, who knows, the guy might be out of a job by now,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVJz6GN0aUQ&feature=related

Add pictures here
βœ–

today the screen goes dark for a second ior two before and after all commercial breaks
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 02/19/2012 05:55 PM, bob haller wrote:
[snip]

That's MOST commercial breaks. I've looked at individual frames of the video. Some don't do this, and sometimes the program and commercial overlap on a frame or two.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

Thanks for that link. I wanted to google it, but was not sure what to search for. That is an interesting link. I suspect what I saw was on film because the theater is old, in a small rural town, and I know they dont get real much business. Heck, there were at most 25 people in there on a weekend.
I also noticed what appeared to be a couple scratches or "blips" near the end of the movie, which is what got me wondering what format the movie was on. While those "blips" were noticable for a few seconds, I've seen much worse on home VHS tapes. Even new ones.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 01:57:32 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

As others have said, both. The "digital" theaters usually advertise the fact, often using "DLP" logo.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 02/18/2012 04:22 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

I usually go to the first showing of a movie that day (NOT the first day for a popular movie). Sometimes, I was the only one watching.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us
On 2/18/2012 1:57 AM, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote: ...