(OT) Do the movie theaters use Film or Digital these days?

I could not find any other newsgroup to post this. I have not been to a movie theater in years, and just went to a movie last week. While I was there I got to wondering if they still use films to show those movies, or is it digital these days? Does anyone know? Just curious!

Thanks in advance

Reply to
jw

Both.

Google is our friend.

DerbyDad03

Both.

Google is our friend.

Excellent and fun read!............... Bill H.

Reply to
Bill Hall

theres a black dot that automatically orders the projector system to change as reels of film come to a end. the black dot looks a little like a tear drop. its fast but visible on the screen.

as far as i know its not on digital versions of movies

Reply to
bob haller

Absence of cueing isn't really a good indicator. The local 18 screen big box movie still uses film and the trailers, announcements, whatever and the movie are all spliced into one giant reel. The projectors are controlled by a system that also controls the lights etc.

Reply to
George

from 2009, who knows, the guy might be out of a job by now,

Mr. Austerity

As others have said, both. The "digital" theaters usually advertise the fact, often using "DLP" logo.

Reply to
krw

Thanks for that link. I wanted to google it, but was not sure what to search for. That is an interesting link. I suspect what I saw was on film because the theater is old, in a small rural town, and I know they dont get real much business. Heck, there were at most 25 people in there on a weekend.

I also noticed what appeared to be a couple scratches or "blips" near the end of the movie, which is what got me wondering what format the movie was on. While those "blips" were noticable for a few seconds, I've seen much worse on home VHS tapes. Even new ones.

Reply to
jw

I usually go to the first showing of a movie that day (NOT the first day for a popular movie). Sometimes, I was the only one watching.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

On 2/18/2012 1:57 AM, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote: ...

yes

--

Reply to
dpb

today the screen goes dark for a second ior two before and after all commercial breaks

Reply to
bob haller
[snip]

That's MOST commercial breaks. I've looked at individual frames of the video. Some don't do this, and sometimes the program and commercial overlap on a frame or two.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd