OT Disputing medicine charges

It's my understanding that it only takes the tiniest dose of melatonin which I have used before but not lately. The tryptophan and the B vitamin seemed to work for me back in the 80's when I used it but it was banned from OTC sales in 1989 because of a contaminated batch out of Japan which caused a blood disease for a number of people. I didn't know until yesterday that the ban was lifted in 2002 and that tryptophan is now back in some health food stores. I'll have to try it again.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

How did a nurse accomplish THAT? As a retired nurse who has stuck a lot of stuff into people, I know how difficult it would be to damage someone's plumbing..you have my sympathy.

Reply to
norminn

Han wrote in news:Xns9EA2382F095ADikkezelf@207.246.207.159:

You are the first person I have ever met that has taken it for several months without experiencing withdwarals and extended insomnia. I have talked to many people who have taken ambien regularly, and *none* of them were able to quit without extensive and severe insomnia. You are more than an exception, you are very unique!

Reply to
Zootal

Yes. I had a liver transplant almost 9 years ago. Everyone has noted that the side effects of Ambien are bad. They should read about Prograf's side effects.

Did your tendon problem heal without having a transplant? That sounds like a serious injury. (Bad luck for your doctor too) Doctors don't get snow days.

I also was recently diagnosed with diabetes and put on insulin. Diabetes is on the list of possible sides from Prograf. Another thing that could have contributed to my diabetes was a large dose of steroids I had to take for a short period. But, right now, I have stopped taking insulin and am controlling my diabetes with exercise and by staying away from sugar.

Reply to
Metspitzer

It was

Reply to
Metspitzer

"Robert Green" wrote in news:il52jj$69l$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

Is she still taking ambien? How long has she been taking it? How much sleep does she get, and how is she doing in general?

Reply to
Zootal

Good grief! You don't take sleepers because your bladder/prostate is keeping you awake....that's kind of like turning up the AC when the house is on fire.

The generic should be exactly the same, chemically, as the brand name. Could your worry about everything be doing tricks? Taking sleeping pills for years and years is a bad idea...one almost always develops tolerance to sedatives, and withdrawal can be worse than original problem.

A hazard of many medications, including Ambien, is a "rebound" effect..actually making the problem worse. As with alcohol, the sleep induced is not "normal" sleep - may sleep more soundly but wake sooner. There are lots of things to try before taking meds long-term.

I don't want to get into discussing of personal matters, but wonder if the doc does blood work now and then to check liver function (to make sure your body clears the chemical as it should).

Reply to
norminn

On 3/7/2011 12:20 PM, Metspitzer wrote: ...

I'd have either done as you (apparently) did and taken the chance't (but wouldn't have expected anything, either), or if was really concerned about either the cost and/or the possible efficacy I'd have consulted the prescribing physician about a trial length and smaller initial prescription to go with same and/or perhaps even the generic might have a samples program...

Either way, if I took the subject prescription at the pharmacy knowing it was the generic I'd certainly not think it was their responsibility for anything other than having filled it correctly.

--

Reply to
dpb

Zootal wrote in news:Xns9EA25A604C27Cnospamspamzootalnosp@216.196.97.131:

Thanks!! Of course, I knew I was unique, but I do appreciate your confirmation!

I can only relate what I experienced. Getting off wasn't that easy, but it certainly didn't take more than a few days. But then, I quit smoking cold turkey too. Twice. Last time was November 16, 1976. Haven't smoked since.

Reply to
Han

Well, to sorta bring this back on topic for AHR, from my youth spent swinging a hammer and a shovel on construction sites, I have found the best sleep aid is intense physical exhaustion. Since I got me one of those cushy inside jobs, and drive a desk for a living, I also sometimes can't get to sleep. I just don't worry about it too much. Laying there in the dark, very still, also lets the body recharge, sort of, and more often than not I eventually do fall asleep.

Reply to
aemeijers

I was responding to:

"He isn't hooked. That is why he has been taking it for ten years."

Reply to
krw

That's why they make bourbon.

Frank

Reply to
Frank J Warner

Anticholinergics are not used for their sleep-induction attributes and the word does not mean "something with a sleep-induction effect". It's true however that in some people drowsiness is a minor side-effect of the anticholinergics such as those used for COPD or for over-active bladder. Anticholinergics block the acetylcholine receptors but have no direct hypnotic or narcotic effect.

I would also dispute that most modern antidepressants are used as sleep aids or in fact induce sleep at all. Perhaps if you go back to the tricyclics there's some drowsiness side effects but the Prozac class (SSRI's) and bupropion are actually stimulants.

IMO (and experience) most sleeping problems can be cured by resisting the regimen of sleep timing: go to bed when you're tired not because you have to get up early in the morning. If you can't sleep or you wake and can't get back to sleep get up and tire yourself out. Of course this is all very easy to say but not so easy to implement especially if you're gainfully employed.

Pot and alcohol are very poor choices. The sleep quality is almost never good. A warm glass of milk or hot chocolate is a much better choice.

Reply to
knuckle-dragger

If you are taking the CR 6.25mg maybe you talk to your Dr about upping to the 12.5mg.

Reply to
Thomas

Yes, and you make no sense.

Reply to
krw

Good for you!!!! I wish I could have stopped my mom from smoking. )-: It eventually killed her. My sister still smokes and she's smart enough to know better. I'd have to say nicotine is as addicting as any sleep aid and worse, you can get it anywhere. My wife only uses Ambien occasionally now, and that's when she's got a trip or a big presentation or something that's out of the ordinary that she will worry about no matter how much she's planned. On those occasions, she considers Ambien a godsend. I don't recall her having any real problems quitting, although I did get her a sound machine that generates a dozen different sounds (seashore, brook, rain, railroad, etc) that has been very helpful in getting her to fall asleep.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Some of us are getting too damn old to swing a pickax anymore and it's a proven fact that the older you get, the harder it is to fall asleep. (-: For some people, lack of sleep is like a feedback loop. The longer they stay awake, the more they worry which then adds to the issues keeping them awake.

I can recall the night before a super big briefing at OSD. I could close my eyes and see myself in the middle of carousel of horses, each one representing a possible "point of failure." Did I check the video projector? Did I put the latest version on a Bernoulli (tells you this was "back in the day!") Did I make sure all the proper clearances were in place? Etc, etc. Just whirling around and around in my head. Transcendental meditation helped, but a .5mg Halcion was as certain as the sunset to stop the worry horses in my head. Some people can just turn that sort of worrying off, others can't. I think it's as simple as that.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Anticholinergic drugs are used in treating a variety of conditions: a.. Gastrointestinal disorders (e.g., gastritis, pylorospasm, diverticulitis, ulcerative colitis) b.. Genitourinary disorders (e.g., cystitis, urethritis, prostatitis) c.. Respiratory disorders (e.g., asthma, chronic bronchitis) d.. Parkinson's disease and Parkinson-like adverse medication effects e.. Sinus bradycardia - Hypersensitive vagus nerve f.. >>> Insomnia, though usually only on a short term basis. I'm working off 30 year old memories from when I dated an MD. She would prescribe 10mg of doxepin to elderly patients, mostly in nursing homes, because in those sub-clinical dosages they would not gain much anti-depressant effect but it would make them sleepy and was largely compatible with other medications they were likely to be taking. Doxepin (aka Sinequan) is a trycylic. That's when I first learned the word anticholinergic. I'll readily admit it wasn't what I really wanted to say, now that I've read up.

I know a lot of doctors that prescribe them for people with problems sleeping, perhaps as a placebo, perhaps hoping that their lack of sleepiness at night is related to depression or lack of substantial daytime activity. When you start trying to account for all the off-label uses of modern meds, it gets pretty fuzzy out there. It seems the favorite off-label drug these days in Neurontin. So much so it's makers have been fined by the FDA twice for big bucks for pushing off-label usage. Neurontin is for treatment of epilepsy, but I know people who are taking it mainly to knock them out at night. Prescribing SSRI's for daytime use could easily result in a patient being sleepier than normal at night because they've been artificially stimulated during the day. So yes, I would agree the newer anti-D's don't induce sleep directly, but can easily end up having that effect eventually. (-:

And in the end, it comes down to the person. Up until my thirties, I could fall asleep in a noisy squad room without a problem. My wife has always been awed and jealous of my ability to normally be asleep within 5 minutes of hitting the pillow. But as I mentioned in another post, task me with briefing a room full of three star generals and I will not be able to get to sleep without a pill now. Maybe it was just that until I was thirty, there really wasn't anything to worry about.

I agree they're poor choices, but whether they're bad choices or not, I'd say that millions if not tens of millions of people use either or both as sleep aids. Unfortunately, we're reaching a point where pharaceuticals cost more than alcohol or street drugs, especially for the uninsured. It seems the price of most meds has double since the donut hole ridden Medicare Drug act was passed. )-: A joint or a shot of vodka per night has to be cheaper than brand name sleep aids when you factor in the doctor visit. Most people don't care if it's bad quality sleep as long as it's sleep.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

I've had them do that to me, too. I freaked. The generic/brand name battle is an interesting one.

Brand name companies have been known to make payments to companies to NOT make generics.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Yes, by all accounts I was lucky that the worst I saw was my wife's midnight compulsive cleaning behavior. We still have a nearly full bottle left. To me, it's like Red Kryptonite - you never know exactly what you're going to get. I'll probably chuck it soon. The worst side effects I have are muscle spasms (from the rebound) and a god-awful quick temper when I first wake up.

What you've written mirrors what I know about Halcion - it's a "spin the wheel" sort of drug with some people almost immune to it and others going shi+ stomping insane. I'm sure you're one of the people that now believes people can commit murder on Halcion and not remember it. But it takes seemingly normal people turning into creatures from a horror film right before their eyes to convince people that it's a drug that's best left alone. Its great advantage when it first came out was that is was virtually impossible to OD on it without stockpiling it for months. What a great advertising gimmick: You won't be able to kill yourself but you WILL be able to kill your spouse and not even remember!

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green