OT: Digital camera battery pack

Page 2 of 2

Power connection may not be obvious.....my wifes camera can be powered through the USB port.
Jimmie

??? I use the USB port only (so far) to d/l pix into the computer. Where can I find out whether mine can be powered through that port?
TIA
HB

<<If your camera has in input for an external power supply you can connect an external battery pack there. That is what I did when I broke the door to my built in battery pack. I figure if 4 AA is OK 4 D cells should be great. I bought a 4 cell battery pack at Radio Shack and found the cable at a camera store.. I put the battery pack in a belt mounted ammo pack.>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
Wasn't a Nikon Coolpix was it? They have pissant little plastic tabs for battery latches. I used to buy then on Ebay and the design was SO awful that even the brand new, never used cameras had the tabs snap off after the first use. Perhaps the worst battery door design I've ever seen on a camera - their should have been a class-action lawsuit based on that remarkable rotten design.
The heartbreaking part is that the rest of the camera is fantastic. Perfect white balance in all sorts of light, ultra-macro focus, swivel head perfect for low or high shots. Attaching a battery pack through the DC socket is a solution, but a pretty awful one considering where they put the socket. I have a 950 on the electronics bench tethered to the AC power so that I can film a disassembly step-by-step. That and an icecube tray (to keep parts in disassembly order) have proved invaluable when I find myself saying "did this go on first, or was it the other piece?"
-- Bobby G.
-- Bobby G.

the replacement pack was likely built when your camera was manufactured, so it might be many years old. economies of scale, build a extra 100,000 as spares that will last till the cameras have failed.
PRIMECELL.COM rebuilds your pack with all new cells that are better than new. later generation cells have more capacity and far lower self discharge rates. some can be upgraded to new superior type cells too.
just something to ponder as you deal with your battery troubles
On 06/22/2011 03:28 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

Go to ebay.com and type "Canon Powershot SD1200 IS battery" in the search box.
You can get a set of two or three battery packs delivered for under $10. That way you can keep one or two spares charged up and ready to go.
You were not thinking ahead. You should have done such a search before you ever bought your camera, to double-check that the packs wouldn't cost $39.95 each, or similar outrageous amount.
If you are buying a popular model of camera, the aftermarket batteries will be very cheap soon after the model comes out.
Some models of battery packs are used in more than one model of camera, which is even better.
See?

I most certainly WAS "thinking ahead"! I knew the replacement battery would be a good chunk of the original camera price. But I didn't realize the battery would virtually stop taking charges so soon (less than 2 years).
Was also unaware of, or didn't think of, buying battery packs outside of original manufacturer; this was my first time using a battery pack camera.
So please don't treat me like a total idiot!
HB

On 07/08/2011 04:45 AM, Higgs Boson wrote:

Ha ha. Okay, sorry. But see my post elsewhere on the present thread about my experience buying the cheapos on ebay. You just buy from somebody who has sold say twenty of the model you need without complaints. I see some sellers are also offering OEM packs for your model.